Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning supplies

michael_aos

I shove the steel wool through with an old shotgun rod or a wooden dowel ( depending on which I find first ). A standard rod will not handle the chore.

I shove the wool in the chamber ( like a whole chamber full ) tightly. Squirt on some Kroil, and stop short of the end of the barrel by resting the end of the barrel on a towel on the floor. 4-5 passes cleans most of the time if you keep the wool tight. Finish with patches, etc.

If you are worried about steel wool in the barrel, Brownell's has bronze wool .

This sometimes requires a little pushing to get through the bore. You cannot hold the barrel with one hand and push the rod with the other if the wool is tight. ( and the floor is always nearby too... )

Travis F.

• 1 month later...
Travis, the steel wool is a great idea. What are you using to push/twist the steel wool through?

--

Regards,

I've done this using a worn 12 gauge bronze brush to wrap the steel wool around.

Also just discovered a new product from Hoppes... Gun Cleaning Gel. I've never seen my bore get so clean so fast and it is thicker than the usual stuff so the splatter isn't as bad.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

In regards to the Ruger 10-22, I believe it is Brownell's that sells a jig, which allows you to drill a hole at the back of the receiver which allows cleaning the barrel from the chamber end once the bolt is removed from the gun. FYI - Brownell's sells Kroil and JB both individually and as a combination package.

Peter