Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning supplies

michael_aos

The extent of my "cleaning" has historically been spray some Slick-50 1-lube down the bore, then run a Hoppes Bore-Snake with a couple drops of FP-10 through it.

Makes the barrel LOOK clean. Then disassemble (mostly field-strip), clean out any & all goop (with paper-towels, q-tips, toothpics, etc) and relube as appropriate.

I've recently purchased some "long guns" (Remington 700P in .223 / Armalite M15A4) and recently starting thinking about "copper fouling".

What do I need as far as bore-guides, cleaning rods, brushes, patches, solvents -- and where do I get them. I want good-stuff, and I want to do this "right".

Mike

A reallll good place for that stuff is Sinclair International.

For the everyday solvent I am addicted to MPro7. It is odorless and non-toxic. Does away with carbon fouling, leading, etc. with a minimum of effort. Wonderful stuff. They make a thicker formulation now as well as the pump spray. I like them both.

Sinclair has a nifty gadget for getting in and cleaning the locking lug areas on an AR which is the shjt. Makes a nasty job realllll simple.

Don't screw around with cheapo cleaning rods. Go buy Deweys and have done with it. Yes, you will spend more $$ but they won't screw up your bore and should last almost forever.

I would also recommend buying a good cleaning cradle (Sinclair again) with the various pieces to fit your rifles.

Hope that helps.

Kimel is right on the mark about Sinclairs, it’s the place for widgets like these. The AR lug cleaning tool Kimel mentioned is way cool and they make one for bolt rifles too. Sinclairs also has rod guides for 700’s and AR’s.

For getting copper out of long gun bores, nothing beats JB bore paste (fine abrasive) followed by a rinse with Kroil (penetrating oil that is a fantastic bore cleaner for powder fouling and removing JB paste). JB get’s copper out, Kroil get’s the JB out and keeps the barrel corrosion free if you leave the bore coated with it.

The upside of this method is that nothing is volatile. The downside is that JB is an abrasive so you don’t want to do it all the time, only when copper fouling makes the accuracy fall off (typically 100-200 rounds in a bolter and 3-500 in an AR, YMMV). I don’t use anything but Kroil & JB for bore cleaning anymore, even on my pistols. I keep a bottle of Hoppes around though, because it just doesn’t feel right to clean guns without that smell in the air :D

Deweys rods are the best ones for sure. Use nylon bore brushes, not the bronze type. A 20 gauge shotgun bore mop threaded on a piece of old cleaning rod chucked into a cordless drill is a great way to clean out chambers.

--

Regards,

Some EXCELLENT advice above.

Sinclair has the stuff.

I use JB when needed ( subjective ) and Kroil frequently.

Butches Bore Shine is what I use for general purpose copper removal. ( also removes powder residue )

At first the Sinclair stuff looks really expensive, until you realize , you only have to buy most of it once.

Travis F.

OK --

Dewey .22 cal 36" cleaning rod w/jag - $25.25

Sinclair Centerfire rod guides .223, Remington 700 - $17.95

Sinclear O-ring rod guide for AR-15 - $18.50

JB Bore cleaner - $7.25

Butches Bore Shine - $5.95

Sinclair AR-15 lug recess tool - $24.75

Sinclair AR-15 cleaning cradle - $44.95

Where do I find Kroil?

What else do I need (Remington 700P & AR-15 -- both .223).

Thanks,

Mike

I've since found Kroil locally as well.

OK, $151.55 in cleaning-stuff should arrive from Sinclair tomorrow.

I wasn't thinking about my Ruger 10/22 though. Turns out there's an upcoming .22 rifle side-match and I'd like to clean her up good.

What do I need as far as cleaning equipment, and where do I get it?

Can't exactly push a patch from breach to muzzle...

Mike

Sinclair has a muzzle rod guide for the 10/22 (std bbl)

10/22 Muzzle Guide From Sinclair

Use the same rod you already have, it’s .17 - .22 caliber and will fit.

Here is a .22 rimfire patch jag that will fit the Dewey rod.

.22 Rimfire Jag at Sinclair

Dedicate brushes to the Ruger because you are scrubbing a dirtier barrel.

--

Regards,

Go the other way...muzzle to breach. If you are real worried get a .22 bore guide and you will be fine. I suspect you are talking factory 10/22 barrel and not some high dollar match barrel so cleaning "from the wrong end" isn't going to hurt.

If it is reallll filthy then pull it out of the stock and give the entire action a good cleaning. Most .22 ammo is incredibly dirty.

Go the other way...muzzle to breach. If you are real worried get a .22 bore guide and you will be fine. I suspect you are talking factory 10/22 barrel and not some high dollar match barrel so cleaning "from the wrong end" isn't going to hurt.

If it is reallll filthy then pull it out of the stock and give the entire action a good cleaning. Most .22 ammo is incredibly dirty.

Mine is the K10/22T.

124H.gif

Sinclair has a muzzle rod guide for the 10/22 (std bbl)

10/22 Muzzle Guide From Sinclair

Use the same rod you already have, it’s .17 - .22 caliber and will fit.

Here is a .22 rimfire patch jag that will fit the Dewey rod.

.22 Rimfire Jag at Sinclair

Dedicate brushes to the Ruger because you are scrubbing a dirtier barrel.

--

Regards,

What did you "click on" to get to the factor-barrel 10/22 muzzle guide?

What's the difference between a .22 rimfire jag & .22 centerfire jag?

Mike

What did you "click on" to get to the factor-barrel 10/22 muzzle guide?

What's the difference between a .22 rimfire jag & .22 centerfire jag?

Select “Online Store” and search with key word(s) (like Dewey, muzzle rod guide, etc.), or select a category from the list.

About a thousandth of an inch.

BTW, the muzzle rod guide will help you not abrade the Dewey rod’s plastic coating on the 10/22 muzzle crown more than it will prevent damage of the muzzle crown by a plastic coated rod :P

--

Regards,

This is debated as unnececary by some , and may well be.

I like to flush the JB out of the AR gas tube with some Kroil and compressed air.

It may be unnecessary but it sure isn't going to hurt anything. I think it was George who told me to use a blast of brake cleaner down the gas tube to clean out the JB.

It may be unnecessary but it sure isn't going to hurt anything. I think it was George who told me to use a blast of brake cleaner down the gas tube to clean out the JB.

Yeah, I do recommend that after using JB in an AR. It is something I read about it in Zediker’s Competitive AR-15 book (sub-titled “the mousegun that roared :P ).

It makes sense to me especially after seeing how much JB comes out on a clean patch through a supposedly clean bore after a shot of BrakeKleen is put into the gas tube from the receiver end with the muzzle tipped down. Nasty!

--

Regards,

The only solvent I use anymore is Kroil. Kroil for everything, pistols, rifles, shotguns, all bores and chambers are cleaned with Kroil and a film left in when done. JB to remove copper from centerfire rifles only and only once in a while (it’s an abrasive).

--

Regards,

My first-order arrived today.

I'm impressed.

What size patches for cleaning .22 rimfire? What size for .223?

And what size for 9mm / .38 Super / .357?

What size patches for .40 S&W? .45 ACP?

Round? Square?

Also realizing I overlooked a couple -- what do I need for a Remington 1100CM (12ga)? Ruger Blackhawk .357 w/6.5" barrel?

Cleaning is a whole different ballgame with the right equipment.

Mike

For the 1100, get a Tico Tool from Outers and push a Kroil soaked 2 to 3 inch round, or square patch through from muzzle with the Tico Tool and then repeat with clean patch and repeat both until clean, then pull the oil soaked Tico Tool hook-on swab back through barrel from chamber to finish (Tico Tool instructions will explain this). The patch is something I added to the Tico Tool routine to keep the tool cleaner.

http://www.gunaccessories.com/Outers/TicoTools.asp

Learn how to remove the shotgun trigger group, then clean it off with BrakeKleen solvent and thoroughly lube before putting the trigger group back in. Same thing with bolt and gas system, clean & lube well, just make sure you keep the inside of the magazine tube completely dry and clean

Use either Remoil (made by Remington), or regular detergent motor oil to lube the 1100 trigger group gas system and inside of barrel. Repeat every 700-800 rounds.

For Patches:

3/4 to one inch square, or round patches are the right size for .22 & .223

1.5 square, or round patches will work for .38 to .45 caliber.

Get some large (2” plus) square, or round patches too. Good for shotgun cleaning using the Tico Tool as a push through jag for the patch, or rifle chamber cleaning when pulled through and wrapped around the tip of a plastic slot type jag on a short cleaning rod.

--

Regards,

For Patches:

3/4 to one inch square, or round patches are the right size for .22 & .223

1.5 square, or round patches will work for .38 to .45 caliber.

Get some large (2” plus) square, or round patches too. Good for shotgun cleaning using the Tico Tool as a push through jag for the patch, or rifle chamber cleaning when pulled through and wrapped around the tip of a plastic slot type jag on a short cleaning rod.

Thanks. So many sites list the patch-size, but don't list what caliber it corresponds to.

I bought a package of ".22" patches, but they're about 1/2" square and way too small for the Sinclair .22 jags.

Mike

I use 1 1/8 " square patches for 223.

I use 1 3/4 for 30 cal. 9mm, 357,40,45, etc.

My supertrick anti JB Kroiloblaster for AR's is not yet patented, or sold in stores.

Get a small length of hose from the hardware store that fits snugly on the gas tube ( I think 1/4" ID IIRC ), stick the spout of your Kroil can in the other end and squeeze.

Remove can, stick tip of blowgun on end of tube and squeeze.

Run another patch through bore to clean up the gunk.

Not that anyone asked, but I have to say that stuffing pipe cleaners in the gas tube is asking for trouble.

If the tube is already off the gun you can snake it out with an old guitar string though, the wound ones work better than the unwound ones for this.

This last comment is from the " Quick and dirty files "

Shotgun bores clean up quickly and efficiently with " 000 " steel wool and Kroil, followed by some wet and dry patches.

Q: How long does it take to remove .001 of steel with oiled " 000 " steel wool ?

A: I dunno, longer than most of us will live long enough find out by cleaning our shotguns this way.

Travis F.

Travis, the steel wool is a great idea. What are you using to push/twist the steel wool through?

Whenever the crud is tough, I have an old shotgun bore mop that I coat with JB past and scrub the bore with on an old Outers 3 piece alumimum shotgun cleaning rod. The steel wool & Kroil sounds like it will do a much better job getting real tough crud out.

Thanks,

--

Regards,