Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Barrel Profile (Light vs Medium)?

I ran the lightweight with the heat sink last year

Ran great and the groups didn't open up as you put rounds through it

I did a few tests where I would test some 77 match ammo and then dump 30 rds of cheap stuff fast and then switch back to the match and the POI and size were the same

Great barrel

I just ordered a JP SCR-11 with their light contour barrel. I followed JP's suggestion about how to set-up the rifle to achieve "balance", etc. You may wish to speak with JP about how your current rifle is set-up and which barrel profile will come closest to achieve your desired result.

Thanks for the feedback - looks pretty evenly split in the poll but most who took time to post recommend the light profile. I was sort of leaning toward light profile anyway, and this pretty much puts me over the top. Not gonna order for another few days (payday), so I'm still open for comments and opinions.

Thanks for the feedback - looks pretty evenly split in the poll but most who took time to post recommend the light profile. I was sort of leaning toward light profile anyway, and this pretty much puts me over the top. Not gonna order for another few days (payday), so I'm still open for comments and opinions.

I have some inside informaiton on that Question. Doing the Reorder trip my self.

John Paul said that he loves his 18 Light barrel and wrote my order up himslef. for a Light contour 18" Even though I was very happy with my ...my.... :blush: 13month old Medium 18"

Looking at the specs on those barrels, the only difference is the profile at the gas block to the muzzle. The med contour uses a bull barrel profile with a 0.936" gas block. I like the idea of a 0.750" gas block so you have more gas block options if you don't go with a JP. I'd go with the light contour myself and wish they had that option with their 20" barrels. I always wondered why they went with a heavier profile at the end of the barrel. Isn't that a bad place to add weight to the barrel?

Lightweight barrel. It loses nothing in the accuracy area, even when toasty.

That seems to defy logic. I really like the JP medium configuration myself. Not sure how they could get a light weight barrel not to have point of impact shifts as it heats up.

Pat

Looking at the specs on those barrels, the only difference is the profile at the gas block to the muzzle. The med contour uses a bull barrel profile with a 0.936" gas block. I like the idea of a 0.750" gas block so you have more gas block options if you don't go with a JP. I'd go with the light contour myself and wish they had that option with their 20" barrels. I always wondered why they went with a heavier profile at the end of the barrel. Isn't that a bad place to add weight to the barrel?

Actually I would think having the barrel stiff at the end would benefit accuracy much more than having it thick under the handguards then get light.

Pat

Actually I would think having the barrel stiff at the end would benefit accuracy much more than having it thick under the handguards then get light.

Pat

I think this is a similar idea in accurizing old lee enfields. Even pressure applied upward kept barrels from whipping around as the bullet past through the bore.

Today in the world of free floated barrels the extra weight/ reinforcement at the end of barrels seems to be more to keep the "flex" or whip out.

The old enfield shooters didn't have the choices in barrels we have today. It was one weight... Light weight. In my opinion much to light for a battle rifle to maintain precision. So upward pressure about 13lbs at the end of the barrel solved most of the whip problems it had.

Edit for my question. Do Yall think the extra weight/ reinforcement at the end of AR barrels is for strength to over come barrel whip discussed above?

Edited by landshark45

I have it on good authority that they use magic dust. Some dust for the barrel, some dust for the gunsmith, more dust for the barrel, some dust for the lathe, more dust for the gunsmith. Eventually the result is a barrel infused with magic that can shoot one hole groups at any distance with any ammo, by a semiskilled baboon. Or possibly they are just good at making barrels that consistently shoot well, it's one of those two options I am sure. JP does have some experience in that whole good shooting gun thing.

Please note that the whole magic dust thing was an attempt at sarcasm, and was in no way meant to actually infer that anyone at JP possesses any magical powers or is in possession of any dust or powder that carries any magical properties, as that would just be silly.

:cheers:

I run a Med contour and having used it over a year, i find it front heavy. I just placed an order for a light weight and see how both will fair to one another. there does not seem to be a trend on the top shooters using JP if a lightweight has plus or minus over their tried and proven med countour. just not my prefered weight. i was intending to have a primary and backup upper for the reason of ordering the light one.

i think with todays barrels made by reputable companies, the heat generated has minimal impact on the PoA/Poi relationship. i tried it on my MSTN built upper vs a Kreiger built upper, doing 2 mag dumps and shooting for group up to 200 yds, can't say there is big difference. there is a slight difference (i would say less than an MOA)being the Med weight Kreiger has edge, but again that could all be shooter induced. even a 3 mag dump dont to nothing.and we dont do this in a typical match.

so my vote was based on how ones ability to track the dot based on weight. and for me (i guess others too) a lightweight is a preferred one.

YMMV