Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super Swage for 9mm?

I have come across a huge amount of WCC 9mm brass. In the past I have just reamed them with a drill but with nearly 10k to work on I was looking for something a little more efficient.

Will the Dillon tool work well for 9mm. Seems I have read some feedback concerning it not working as well for pistol as it does for 223?

If anybody has used it or knows it will work well please let me know your thoughts.

Yes a Dillon SS will work on 9mm. You might have to adjust it to make sure that its not swaging the primer pocket. If you can swage and then shoot a couple, you'll know that you have it right. If you have someone in the local area who has one, you can knock a bunch out in a day or two.

Yes i use mine to do 9mm. I made a new rod to help support and align the case. You can wrap tape around a rod to fill the gap. Inline fab make a centering indert for 223 and 308 for the super swage, it really helps

Centering inserts for the Dillon SuperSwage. http://www.inlinefabrication.com/Dillon_Precision.htm You can make your own if you want. I get alot of free brass this way, if not i will swage the into 40 cal bullets. Coleman

To bake the 9mm brass center on the rod go to the hardware store and buy a foot of small vinyl tubing, I forget the size just bring a case with you.

Jim

• 1 month later...

To bake the 9mm brass center on the rod go to the hardware store and buy a foot of small vinyl tubing, I forget the size just bring a case with you.

Jim

That's a pretty good idea! I did something similar, but I just used what I had lying around the workbench.

I used a "click type" ball point pen to make a 9mm bushing for my super swage. I cut about 1.70 inches off of the main body of the pen, and also cut 3/4 of an inch off the tube that holds the "clicky" part of the pen.

I assembled those two parts, cleaned the inside of the smaller tube with a Dremel bit to get the little tabs in there rounded off, and get the inner diameter to where the assembly fits snugly on the small rifle rod of the swage, but not too tight. I also slightly beveled the outer edge of the plastic to match the rounded base inside a 9mm case, so they won't try to stick.

See the pics (hopefully they will attach).

If you take longer than 20 minutes to complete this fabrication, you are over-engineering it.

post-33294-0-04272900-1337747355_thumb.j

post-33294-0-87090600-1337747618_thumb.j

post-33294-0-38402100-1337747628_thumb.j

post-33294-0-19281700-1337747636_thumb.j

post-33294-0-19676000-1337747648_thumb.j

I went through 5,000 rounds of WCC brass with a Hornaday cutter. Chucked up the cutter tool in a drill clamped in a vice and went to town. I would do batches of 700 or so at a time with a batch taking about 40 min to process. I only removed the sharp edge of the crimp with the cutter then adjusted the swager on my 1050 to finish the resizing. I found this process gave better results than swaging alone on the 1050.

After a couple months worth of shooting the entire 5,000 have been processed and I have a nice bucket of twice fired brass that will reload much faster this time. :) WCC is nice stuff.

As a new reloader I'd like to ask;

I came across a small amount of the 9mm WCC brass and from my reading just always sorted it out into a recycle bucket. But a little while back I was experimenting with my 650 press and I tried running the WCC brass through it just like any other brass. It seemed to press out the spent primer no problem... so then tried seating a new one, no problem (CCI primers if it matters). So I ended up running 10 complete rounds through and didn't see any issues or feel any differences in the pressures needed to run the press.

Took them to the range and fired them through, checked the spent brass and again, didn't see anything that seemed abnormal.

I'm still not planning on using this brass as there has been plenty of other headstamps to use. But I'm curious; did I just get lucky in not messing something up?

I have come across a huge amount of WCC 9mm brass. In the past I have just reamed them with a drill but with nearly 10k to work on I was looking for something a little more efficient.

Will the Dillon tool work well for 9mm. Seems I have read some feedback concerning it not working as well for pistol as it does for 223?

If anybody has used it or knows it will work well please let me know your thoughts.

Let me know if you still need these processed. I can run them on my 1050 for you.

• 2 years later...

I'm having issues running 9mm through the SS. I have the Dillon 9mm adapter on it, but after running the brass through my 650 to deprime/resize it, the brass is getting stuck on the locator rod after swaging. I figure the issue is that the brass has been resized, but I can't deprime without resizing due to the die. Any suggestions?

I'm having issues running 9mm through the SS. I have the Dillon 9mm adapter on it, but after running the brass through my 650 to deprime/resize it, the brass is getting stuck on the locator rod after swaging. I figure the issue is that the brass has been resized, but I can't deprime without resizing due to the die. Any suggestions?

I've been thinking about getting the new Dillon 9mm adapter for the Super Swage. Sounds like it's a little snug.

Chuck the adapter up in a drill press and use sandpaper to take a little off the adapter. Should take enough off to allow it work with sized cases.

Let us know how you remedied this. Like you, I would probably size and de-prime before using the swage.

BTW, No issue using the swage with 9mm for me... I've done thousands of 9mm but never more than a couple of hundred at a time. If I had ten thousand WCC cases to process I would probably trick my wife into helping me swage for a couple of hours and then mention I could get a machine that would do it "automatically". My new 1050 would arrive within days :) .

Edited by razorfish

Are the primers crimped? I believe there are non-crimped WCC rounds out there.

Note sharp annular ring on crimped case:

175-h.jpg

Boy!!! Thats some old brass

That's not old, I just did 30 or so WCC 40 45 ACP brass that came in a box of once fired stuff. I guess someone found some old stuff and ran it thru their GI 45.

Jay

I've been thinking about getting the new Dillon 9mm adapter for the Super Swage. Sounds like it's a little snug.

Chuck the adapter up in a drill press and use sandpaper to take a little off the adapter. Should take enough off to allow it work with sized cases.

Let us know how you remedied this. Like you, I would probably size and de-prime before using the swage.

BTW, No issue using the swage with 9mm for me... I've done thousands of 9mm but never more than a couple of hundred at a time. If I had ten thousand WCC cases to process I would probably trick my wife into helping me swage for a couple of hours and then mention I could get a machine that would do it "automatically". My new 1050 would arrive within days :) .

Are you swaging after resizing? What kind of brass are you using? All of mine is WCC 12.

With as much mil 9mm and 556mm I get from work, a 1050 is sounding pretty good...

If you want to deprime without sizing, get a Lee Universal Depriming Die.

decappdie.jpg
decappdie.jpg
LEE PRECISION DECAPPING DIE

Lee Precision Decapping and Depriming Die, no cleaning or lubing of cases necessary. Tough, almost unbreakable decapper removes crimped primers. Fits cases up to .560" in diameter and up to 3.125" long. Not recommended for .17 or .20 calibers.