Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STAINLESS STEEL GUIDE RODS

SAMMY63

Was at a local match this weekend and broke my first factory guide rods. Were is the best place to get the S.S. guide rod replacements? I shoot both a 40 TS and a 9MM Shadow. I know this is the best place to ask this question.

thanks guys, good shooting

see you at Area 6

Was at a local match this weekend and broke my first factory guide rods. Were is the best place to get the S.S. guide rod replacements? I shoot both a 40 TS and a 9MM Shadow. I know this is the best place to ask this question.

thanks guys, good shooting

see you at Area 6

Rats. I thought about buying a steel guide rod when I was ordering a few other spare parts from CZ Custom, but forgot to do so.

Just out of curiosity, how many rounds did you get through before the factory rod broke?

Not really what i would have expected. Shot around 5,300 rounds. I shooting minor loads not major, I don't know if that should have made a difference. I ordered my steel rods this morning.

good luck with yours.

good shooting

How hard is it to replace the guide rod? I am pretty much a novice at tinkering with my guns beryond taking em part for basic cleaning and maintenance.

if you take it apart to clean it, you've already removed and replaced the guide rod. just use a different one, unless your gun has a plastic guide rod wit ha fused spring as one piece. then you'd need a steel guide rod plus recoil spring, of which i recommend 11 lb.

My humble 0.02:

I tried two different designs of SS guide rods (that were available from czcustom within last 4-5 years). And went back to factory Delrin one on my Shadow. Delrin rod proved to be reliable, durable (never broke any) and cheap, I got an extra one in my 'spares' box in range bag, and a couple more at home.

This is my personal experience: I felt no noticeable difference in gun's function, recoil, reliability etc. 'Plastic' Delrin GR was just as good as any, and may even be a better choice for reliability of gun's cycling. I can post pix of my (1st Gen??) SS rod with some damage to it after under 5K rds shot with it and Delrin one after over 25K rds shot with it...

As far as recoil reducers go - I never tried any; but something tells me they will at least increase cycling time. What were your splits with stock and 'reducer' setups? Me think if gun cycles in excess of 0.05sec - it's too slow. I kinda like my splits of 0.08-0.13sec; and I do happen to pull the trigger another time before gun fully cycles, once in a blue moon thou :D .. but it's not fun when it happens at matches :(

• 3 months later...