Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 arm over rotation

I noticed this when I first set up the press. After completing a stroke and returning the handle to the upright position, I'm able to push the arm another half inch forward after the ram is all the way up. I can also see the toolhead rotate counter clockwise ever so slightly. Everything lines back up on the way down.

Does anyone else notice this? Is there a way to eliminate it?

Edited by modex

Mine does that but probably not quite that much. I don't know where it moves. I just try to remember not to push it.

It's kind of a disconcerting feeling but doesn't seem to affect anything. Mine isn't new though.

When was the last time you took your machine apart and greased the bearings?

The only thing I can see that might cause that type of movement is a worn key. (Or whatever the square section is called locking the handles shaft to the linkage that transfers the motion the the tool shaft.

And yes, mine does the same thing on the downstroke.

When was the last time you took your machine apart and greased the bearings?

The only thing I can see that might cause that type of movement is a worn key. (Or whatever the square section is called locking the handles shaft to the linkage that transfers the motion the the tool shaft.

And yes, mine does the same thing on the downstroke.

It's brand new. It's been doing it since I took it out of the box. I just recently took it down for cleaning and inspection; still behaves the same way.

This overtravel is normal. It is the difference between the actual stroke length of the linkage and where the toolhead spring holds the toolhead at when the handle is up. The toolhead spring always collapses slightly, resulting in the handle apparently being able to move more at the end of the upstroke. This has no effect at all on the operation of the loader.

This overtravel is normal. It is the difference between the actual stroke length of the linkage and where the toolhead spring holds the toolhead at when the handle is up. The toolhead spring always collapses slightly, resulting in the handle apparently being able to move more at the end of the upstroke. This has no effect at all on the operation of the loader.

That's what I initially thought. But when I took the toolhead and shell plate off for cleaning, I noticed that I could feel the over-rotation on both the upstroke and downstroke.

I agree it is probably a non-issue.

If you back off the set screw that limits the hand rotating the shell plate, the tool head rotation will probably go away, but be careful as you may replace the tool head rotation with over rotation of the shell plate. When the hand hits the stop, if the press is not at full stroke, the ram has to rotate as the cam pushes further on the lever.

Sherwyn

Edited by Sherwyn