Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Grip Choices for USPSA - 1911

polizei1

Ok so I'm setting up a Spartan for SSD and I need some grips. Problem is, I can't find any I like.

Long story short, I want nothing from VZ, and I haven't been successful at getting through to Larry D. He told me he isn't accepting orders for another 2 weeks, which is fine, but at this time, he won't even discuss making some custom grips. To give him the benefit of the doubt, I'm sure he's extremely busy catching up on orders. I really was looking forward to having Larry make me a set, because I've had several in the past and his work is amazing.

What I desire is a custom grip maker, or something similar to the VZ Recon/Gunner grips (also open to other option). I need them slim, magwell cut, enlarged thumb ramp, with a proper frame fit. I'm still waiting for Larry to (hoperfully) get back to me, but I would like to have a plan B open as well just in case it doesn't work out. Any suggestions?

I thought about making my own grips out of wood and fitting some grip tape to them, but after some thought I would much rather have a dedicated set of G10's.

BTW: I thought this thread would be more appropriate here seeing as it's 1911 specific. Please move otherwise.

After giving it some more thought and talking to a few more people, and one particular well known smith about the situation, I've decided to just wait. IMO, Larry's work is unmatched and I don't want to settle for anything else. The only thing that sucks is that using the stock grips, I cannot release the mag unless I rotate my hand. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long.

Would an extended mag release help at all?

My .45 has one and I can hit it with standards no problem even sans thumb notch. I may take it out and put it in my Trojan to try, while I decided if I want to setup for only SS or ESP and SS.

Well, I'm on am extremely limited budget so ATM, I'm kind of suck with what I have. I don't want to modify the stock grips and even if I spent money on another set, the grip is terrible anyway.

I would like an extended mag release and might look into that now. Any specific brand to look into?

Edit* Anyone running these? http://www.vcdgrips.com

Seem to be almost exactly what I'm looking for, if they can custom cut them. Seems like a 2011 stipple, which I'm sure would be very grippy.

Edited by polizei1

I'm cheap too, so i have to wonder about the viability of 2 options:

1. Put or glue skateboard tape on your existing grips

2. doesn't Brownells sell some sort of grit like aluminum oxide or carborundom and glue/epoxy to enhance grips or stocks?

On a different note I am working on a deck and rebuilding its stairs. Behr makes a traction improving product that i added to the paint for the stair treads. It reminds me of sand, but according to their website it is some sort of polymer. They say you can add it to other finishes like lacquers and polyurethanes.

If your current grips are wood, i wonder if the Behr "sand" added to a poly or brushing lacquer then applied to your grips would work.

Another trick i have read about is called "sugar decking". Since surfboards have cool graphics on them, surfers would apply a clear epoxy to the tops of their boards. Then they would sprinkle castor sugar onto the still wet epoxy. Let that cure overnight, then take a garden hose and spray the sugar off. The texture that remained, I've read, was abrasive enough to supposedly eat through wet suits are make surfer's skin raw.

Hrmm that's interesting for sure.

I thought about making my own grips and applying grip tape that I have on the FSC, but I thought it ultimately would be too much work and probably wouldn't work like I want. I've seen the spray stuff and it doesn't interest me at all. I'll keep thinking! :roflol:

Yes, his grips are absolutely fantastic. I'm working with David from VCD Grips ATM to try and come up with something. They look very interesting. He they don't work, it's all on Larry!

Edited by polizei1