Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli Problems

DyNo!

I had trouble with my shotgun the other weekend and went out today to recreate the malfunction I had. My magazine spring is 15" past the end of my tube and has only been used a dozen times (8+1+1 capacity). I'm running a reduced power recoil spring with less than 1000 cycles on it.

The malfunction is that shells seem to get stuck on my shell stop. Should I polish it? What's the best way to fix this issue?

ea15308d.jpg

Here's what it looks like with the gate out of the way:

961d8794.jpg

Edited by DyNo!

Looks like you are using High Brass slugs (maybe). I had a similar problem, I simply had to run a longer spring as well as polish up the inside of the lifter using 0-0-0-0 Steel wool. Seemed to clear up all my issues. Start with a longer spring first.

Got it - I am not having problems with slugs and the shell in the picture was the closest one for a photo.

My problems have been with Win AA and Fiocchi clear 3 1/4 dram birdshot shells.

Edited by DyNo!

So you are saying that the shell is not being lifted by the carrier?

If that's the case, my M2 had the same issue. Solution was to spread apart the tabs of the carrier. The carrier tabs had an inside width of about .637 or so and I believe I opened them up to about .642 and all was better. Note, I was only having the issue with the same 3.25 dram AA's and other heavy shells, not with lighter loads.

Cameron... Looks like - even if the spring is new - it's weak....

That is what a weak spring does.... Is it an ISMI spring? You might also check and see if some oil or trash is in the tube or the follower has a burr....

I'm suspicious of the follower (Factory and well used). It drops freely but it has miles on it. It's a Wolff spring and in addition to considering a few things I see posted here - I'll probably get a Nordic follower and a spring from them.

I just have one shot to get this thing running though since any order will take a week.

Anything else to consider folks?

So you are saying that the shell is not being lifted by the carrier?

If that's the case, my M2 had the same issue. Solution was to spread apart the tabs of the carrier. The carrier tabs had an inside width of about .637 or so and I believe I opened them up to about .642 and all was better. Note, I was only having the issue with the same 3.25 dram AA's and other heavy shells, not with lighter loads.

The shell does not come out of the tube enough to sit on the carrier - it comes halfway out of the magazine and stops on the carrier latch as pictured in recoil.

Edited by DyNo!

If the shell is not going to the rear the full travel I would bet on the spring being soft/weak.

Is it a stock lifter?

I bought a Benelli that had a welded lifter and ended up - after Much puzzling - grinding about .0020 of of the end of it. Worked fine after that. Also used to see where welded lifters often needed bent down on the end a tad to function properly.

Actually got a M1 lifter today. Going to try in my M2 tomorrow to see if it eliminates the issues described above. Had two of the described hangups at our last 3-gun match...was able to bump the charging handle to get the shells to feed the rest of the way. My welded lifter may need a little more bend in the tip but I don't see how that would help the shells from diiging in the sharp portion of the barrel extention around the extractor area. I hoping the M1 style with the slight radius on the tip will the shells centered better!?

Well M1 lifter did not work in my M2...they are slightly different where the shell release rides. Just enough to allow shells to pop back out of the mag tube.

Put my welded M2 lifter back in and will teak it a little more...also ordered a new Nordic magazine spring and will cut it a bit longer this time.

My M1 did this. I remember KurtM pouring cider, removing the shell catch, pouring more cider, polishing the shell catch, pouring more cider, replacing what I thought was a good spring because it was almost new, pouring more cider and that's all I can remember. When I awoke in the morning the shotguns where all lined up and ran like a fairy tail.

@ JT, yup!

I have two Benellis and my Open one has a stock trigger group. The problem one has a welded lifter.

Swapped out the trigger groups, put stock recoil springs in both, and Nordic followers in both. Snipped my major match magazine spring from 15" to 12" past the end.

No more problems in the OP gun. I suspect that the lifter needed to be fitted better and I haven't fired the M1 that the welded lifter is now in.

I don't have any trouble loading on an unmodded lifeter (carrier) and I'll probably just leave it that way.

The one with the welded lifter will either see a trip to one of the Benelli smiths with a good turn-around time or the lifter will get sold and traded for a stock one (likely) so someone else can have it fitted.

Another malfunction that occurred roughly every 200 rounds (not pictured) is when the lifter would tip a shell high enough to ram right into the top of the barrel hood.

No more magazine problems and no more cycling problems after I went stock again.

Well what do you know!? :cheers:

Edited by DyNo!