Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

McCormick Trigger

stingerjg

StingerJG: I have a very similar set but they are not the exact same diameter as the JP oversize pins. A .001 here and there actually makes a difference apparently. I would make a set of punches that exactly duplicate the JP pins diameter.

EricW, I guess maybe you need all that other stuff for the "full potential" but I'm very happy with nothing but the JP Fire Control kit with the stock hammer. No special hammer, no special carrier, no special pins. The first one I did is the best trigger of any gun I have. The second one I did, contrary to the instructions, as I used it with a previously worked-on stock hammer, isn't quite as good.

Thanks guys. I'm not sure which way I want to go. Shawn Carlock has a deal worked out where he fixes the trigger using the stock parts, which is also very nice, but I worry about the longevity. There *is* something about S-7 everything that has a certain appeal from a geek standpoint.

Yeah when I had my Colt worked on originally, my gunsmith said it might not hold because the stock parts were soft pot metal. I managed to sort of bounce/double it a few times and it needed a re-tune. I haven't needed to touch the JP parts since installing them.

ut I worry about the longevity. There *is* something about S-7 everything that has a certain appeal from a geek standpoint

You are absolutely right in feeling funny about tweaked stock parts and I now realize you probably won’t be happy with anything less than the whole nine yards (oversize pins, JP hammer). Go with geek stuff, there is a reason for high technology and It’s called “Gotta Havit” :P

But seriously, I have been through three great triggers on various incarnations of an IPSC AR over the years and every single one was done by a local smith with stock or supposedly hardened stock parts wore out after 4-5k and even sooner for one which started doubling in a course of fire, cool on close stuff, not so good for long stuff :o

The JP trigger has not changed one iota in the very hard 2 years I have put on it so far.

--

Regartds,

• 5 months later...

I would like to order the McCormick two stage drop-in, but i'm concerned with the trigger pull being too light for close range target indexing( read; accidental discharges). I've read several posts saying the pull weight goes in at anywhere from 3 to 3.5 lbs. The train of thought where i work is that anything below 3.5 is dangerous for close quarters and a two stage is neccessary for safeowever I'm aware there are ing, h owever I'm aware there are ing, h ty reasons as well. I'm not really concerned with rules or regulations in match shooting however I'm aware there are rules in place regarding acceptable standards and these are probably indicative of saftey concerns. Any thoughts?

AD'ing with a 3 to 3.5 lb trigger is a gun handling issue and not a safety issue (provided the trigger is competently installed.)

If you have any concerns about safety regarding the installation of a trigger, you should be sending your lower directly to JP and getting the job done by the master. The fee JP charges for the service is extremely nominal.

I’m with EricW here.

I have hit the ground sliding on my butt and face with my AR (JP trigger in it) clamped firmly in my strong hand a number of times and the rifle has been slammed and banged quite hard while moving through prop tunnels and corridors encountered in stages, all the while hot, off safe and with my trigger finger firmly extended “CLEAR” of the trigger guard. No AD’s whatsoever, no matter how hard it has been slammed in the course of running any stage I have come across for just over two years now.

JP & McCormick competition triggers, when set for proper sear engagement are SAFE, PERIOD. Just keep your finger off the trigger when you are not shooting and the gun will not go off.

Dang Matt, you beat me to it!

--

Happy New Year,

Edited by George

Hey, my bad on the multiple posts. Never done the forum thing before.

Do you all take your finger off the trigger when shooting the El Prez?

Multiple target indexing from target to target? Is there an accepted optimum weight for this buisness, is there an unresponsible weight? I'm sure somewhere on the spectrum there is. At what poundage will an m4 start to runaway? Lets start at 1lb. not a problem?

Hey, my bad on the multiple posts. Never done the forum thing before.

Do you all take your finger off the trigger when shooting the El Prez?

Multiple target indexing from target to target? Is there an accepted optimum weight for this buisness, is there an unresponsible weight? I'm sure somewhere on the spectrum there is. At what poundage will an m4 start to runaway? Lets start at 1lb. not a problem?

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...=0entry229013

There's no such thing for any firearm as a "too light" trigger. There are triggers that are too light for some people to be able to operate safely (people who don't have enough control of their trigger finger to fire a shot only when they want to) and triggers that are just unsafe (I've felt 3-lb triggers that are unsafe).

The "standard," if you can call it that, is between 3 and 4 lbs trigger on an AR. You can go lower. You can go higher. You will not miss any shot you need to make in 3 gun because of a properly installed/adjusted 3 to 4 lb trigger. You will miss shots due to the crappy 8.5+ lb grit-o-rama trigger that came stock.

==============================================

Nobody I know takes their finger out of the trigger guard on transitions. Everybody I trust and respect always takes their finger out of the trigger guard during movement. Personally, if I'm moving more than a few feet, I also put on my safety.

If you're worried about AD'ing when transitioning from one target to the next, I think you need to step it back a notch or three and work on your fundamental gun handling skills and safety practices. Finger out of the trigger during movement and muzzle control need to be absolutely automatic. Practice with a deactivated gun (i.e. no bolt) in the back yard if you have to.

I don't know what department you're with or who you're shooting with, but AD's among IPSC/3-gun competitors are very rare events. This is because of safety procedures on the part the competitor, not because of any special equipment setup.

Does anyone have any knowledge of whether or not the the McCormick Trigger will work with a 9 mm upper? I've got a 9 mm on order and they've told me the hammer is different from that of the .223/5.56 mm version.

Regards,

Sam38

• 2 months later...

I ordered the CM drop in, single stage, flat trigger from Cactus Tactical and got it yesterday.

It was a 5-10 minute job. I did have to remove the safety selector for clearance, but no big deal.

I don't have a trigger gauge, but my finger tells me that it's about the same as my beloved JP trigger.

Three thing I really like about this trigger:

1. Simple and quick to install.

2. The flat trigger seems to fit my hand better than the traditional curved trigger.

3. It has a strong reset.

The only open question is the long term durablity of this trigger. Time will tell. My JP has been flawless and ignites everything.

I ordered the CM drop in, single stage, flat trigger from Cactus Tactical and got it yesterday.

It was a 5-10 minute job.  I did have to remove the safety selector for clearance, but no big deal.

I don't have a trigger gauge, but my finger tells me that it's about the same as my beloved JP trigger. 

Three thing I really like about this trigger:

1.  Simple and quick to install.

2.  The flat trigger seems to fit my hand better than the traditional curved trigger.

3.  It has a strong reset. 

The only open question is the long term durablity of this trigger.  Time will tell.  My JP has been flawless and ignites everything.

you will like this trigger. when i first installed it and pulled the trigger, my first thought was there was no way that light strike would ignite a sm rifle primer. well, after a few K rounds, it still goes bang. amazing pull. don't need the adjustable goodies with the set screws...this thing is great as is. flat trigger gives better feel for me when squeezing those long 3-400 yd shots....