Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

$6 Pod-loc

If you don't want to spend $25 for the Pod-loc but want the same thing, here's the $5.92 solution. Well, it's $9.92 if you count shipping.

Here are the parts you need. You can order these from McMaster Carr at http://www.mcmaster.com

Adjustable handle with 10-32 threaded insert. I went with the die cast zinc handle, part number 64835K32, it's $4.87. Or if you are even cheaper, a nylon one is available 6305K32 for $4.25. Both of these use steel hardware. A nylon handle with stainless steel insert is also available, 6320K52 for $7.35. I prefer the zinc handle since I've broken the nylon ones before on machine tools.

You will also need a spacer. I went with a black finish aluminum. The dimensions are 3/8" OD, 1/4" length, ID is for #10 screw 0.192". Part number 93013A220 at $1.05. You can use a shorter length spacer 5/32" or 3/16" would work, but McMaster Carr doesn't have those sizes in black.

I just have a hard time spending $25 for $6 worth of parts. The only difference between the two is the spacer.

Here's a pic of my setup.

DSCN4502.JPG

This is what the real one looks like. Notice the larger spacer.

PodLoc6.jpg

• 1 month later...

Scooter,

Thanks for the heads up. I was just about to buy a Pod-loc for $30 delivered and didn't even think of buying the parts and make one. I'll check out the local home improvement stores to see if they have those parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm all for supporting iundustrious shooters who invent stuff, but when what you invented is a threaded handle you cna buy many places and then mark up the parts 500%, it becomes a bit harder to support the one, or condemn the other.

A toolless guide rod, great idea, and I'm not going to be able to whip one up out of basic hardware parts. it's not simple, and worth a mark up.

A muzzle brake cover that is jsut some machined aluminum and a few grub screws. It too has a many fold markup, but I can't cobble one together from the local hardware store either.

You really want to support the guy, Order the $6 of of parts, try it out, and honestly tell us his works a lot better. This isn't some offshore company knocking his stuff off, it's a listing of parts froma catalog that are largely analagous to the parts in the actual product.