Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Redding Competition Pistol Bullet Seater Dies

I replaced my Dillon seating die with the Redding seating die with the micrometer adjustment knob. It's great for me because I tend to change loads a lot so I can always dial things back to another setting without monkeying around with a wrench.

I'm not sure if I buy into the marketing about the bullet seater also assuring more concentric seating and therefore better accuracy because of the air gap as the bullet goes into the die, but I have no complaints at all about my bullet accuracy as long as I've got the powder levels and OAL worked up correctly.

Replaced mine too.. I started using them in most calibers mostly for the ease in adjusting OAL

To add to skydivers comments

it also did fix an issue I'd have seating the bullets more concentric.. I would occasionally get bullets that seems to seat off center.. this eliminated that. It was just a few that would be spitout by the case gauge... those are all fixed.

With my current setup.. I probably get 1 or 2 per 1K that don't gage.. and those would still chamber

Use one for every caliber. Are they a requirement-nope. They are a great to have though. If your one of those people who never change bullets, you probably don't need one.

I tried one and found that it had absolutely no effect on improving my seating issues.

I don't change loads or bullets very often but I hated breaking loose the Dillon die to make small adjustments.

I sold the micrometer die and bought the redding pro series seating die. It allows fine tuning the oal with just the turn of the knob. Only about $25 or so at MidwayUSA and it fits my needs perfectly.

I use one as well but only for my RN bullets. I still find myself using my dillon for the HP/FP's. Just wish the dillon was constructed a littttle bit differently as I sometimes get a small indentation in my Precision bullets. They're about the softest I shoot though so it's not too big a deal.

Anyways back to the Redding. With that in and my standard Montana Gold or Berry's RN's, I'm seeing +/- .001 variations with separated brass. With mixed headstamps it's typically +/- maybe .002 until I hit a winchester and then it varies about .004ish.

Needless to say, it's very consistant and if you do switch around a lot, you can just remember each setting for each type of bullet and it's quick and painless.

• 1 month later...

I tried one and found that it had absolutely no effect on improving my seating issues.

I don't change loads or bullets very often but I hated breaking loose the Dillon die to make small adjustments.

I sold the micrometer die and bought the redding pro series seating die. It allows fine tuning the oal with just the turn of the knob. Only about $25 or so at MidwayUSA and it fits my needs perfectly.

sarge-can you list the part + for that die ?? thanks

sarge-can you list the part + for that die ?? thanks

Here you go:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/720594/redding-pro-series-seater-die-9mm-luger

I love the competition seater die, it does center the bullet better in the case, you do not need to get the bullet nose pointing straight before hitting the seater die therefore improving reloading rate, throw that bullet in there crooked, it doesn't matter (with in reason). I can load ammo without belling the case mouth if I want. I use the competition seater on the XL650, they're worth the money. There has been a previous thread on this die before, I believe the consensus was that some people were not setting the dies up correctly and it was not improving the seating operation. The seating plug is floats below the stem on a spring, when the bullet first contacts the plug it is centered in the die and on the plug while traveling upwards compressing the spring. When the plug contacts the stem the seating process begins.

If it is set up correctly you WILL see OAL variations, depending on the ammo consistency you can see a lot of OAL variation, the competition die contacts the bullet orgive rather than the nose, and most pistol bullets have varying dimensions from the nose to orgive, but the bullet jump, the distance the bullet travels when it is fired to touching the rifling, will be more consistent. The micrometer adjustment thing is just a bonus.

Sarge,

Does the shape of the plug look like it would be easier on softer bullets than the Dillon?

I honestly don't know as I have never loaded a lead bullet. Sorry.