Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger SP101 9mm

The_Vigilante

You can shoot it in ESR provided that your 9mm makes 165,000 power factor ......and not sure that it will do so safely. I also believe that if it is the 5 shot version that you would be at a disadvantage with the 6 round revolvers with often one extra reload.

With the moon clips it would not be able to be shot SSR

IMO

Garry

Ted...you beat me to it <G>

Edited by solaritx

Get some 9mm federal brass and shoot it in ssr.

I have shot a number of matches in IDPA with a 5 shooter. My goal is not to be last place, and that can be tough. Those extra reloads hurt you, and the smaller revos are not the fastest to reload either.

Ted

Edited by Ted Murphy

Problem 1: 9mm Federal is not 9mm Auto Rim. It has standard thickness rim, less than the rim+clip of 9mm P in that gun. That is going to lead to excessive cartridge headspace and likely misfires, maybe backed out primers binding cylinder rotation.

Problem 2: Where you gonna GET 9mm Federal? There never was a lot made and that years ago.

Problem 3: Addendum "Ammunition used must match the caliber listed on the gun." might be taken to prevent substitute brass.

I am not sure you can safely make 165000 pf in a snubbie a gun of MAXIMUM barrel length for the DIVISION of the same

gun type.

FIFY

As indicated by discussions on this list about WHO is responsible for the supply of the gun with MAXIMUM barrel length for the DIVISION of the same gun type means that the SHOOTER is responsible for bringing a 9mm Revolver of Maximum barrel length. That is a problem. Hopefully Tiger Team will address that ammo will have to make PF out of the gun the shooter is using.

Garry

You could shoot it in USPSA, but with only 5 rounds, you will not place very well. It would be fun though, and give you plenty or reload practice. In USPSA, you make power factor in YOUR gun, not some one else's, so it might be tough in a short barrel. You can just shoot it minor with regular safe 9MM loads, have fun

Thanks for the comments. Looks like if I want to shoot this in IDPA it will be for fun. How would it work out in USPSA?

If you want to be competitive use it in BUG matches.

If your looking for a whipping or you just want to be different on the way to DFL why not shoot a contender?

Edited by jmorris

• 1 month later...

I'd soot it in a USPSA match or two, heck I even shot two matches with a Rossi 5 shot 44 special (reloading the semi wad cutters was really slow, like 8 seconds) if your local club is like mine you may even win revolver division (and get last place revolver division).

Mike

I recently shot the SP101 9mm in a local BUG match and was advised by the Match Director that a moon-clipped revolver was against the IDPA rules for a BUG Match. What the H*ll!! Whatever!! Note: This is not an easy gun to shoot DA-recoil is more than I thought it would be!!!

Edited by The_Vigilante

I recently shot the SP101 9mm in a local BUG match and was advised by the Match Director that a moon-clipped revolver was against the IDPA rules for a BUG Match. What the H*ll!! Whatever!! Note: This is not an easy gun to shoot DA-recoil is more than I thought it would be!!!

BS. Since no reloads are required/allowed in BUG stages I can't imagine how it could matter. I know a guy who shoots a 3" S&W 625 in bug matches.

I recently shot the SP101 9mm in a local BUG match and was advised by the Match Director that a moon-clipped revolver was against the IDPA rules for a BUG Match.

Ask him to show you the rule that outlaws moon clipped revolvers.

BUG

Handguns permitted for use in this division must:

A. Be single or double action.

B. Be either pistol or revolver.

C. Be .32 auto or larger.

D. Have a barrel length:

1. Semi-automatic, 3.8” or less (factory installed cone style

barrels with or without a barrel bushing are permitted).

2. Revolver 3” or less.

E. Maximum (total) number of rounds that may be loaded into

the handgun is five (5).

PERMITTED Modifications (Inclusive list):

1. Revolvers:

A. Sights to another conventional notch and post type (see

“sights” in glossary for further information).

B. Grips to another style or material that is similar to factory

configuration (no weighted grips).

C. Action work to enhance trigger pull as long as safety is

maintained.

D. Bob hammer spur.

E. Chamfer cylinder.

F. Custom finishes.

Neat guns, for sure.

I looked hard for a 4" 9mm Speed Six, back before they split the Revolver divisions. Just as well I didn't find one, or buy the .38 Super revolver S&W had for a while, what with the move to ESR Major.