Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

gojo Orange Hand Cleaner

If you load a lot of lead, especially in hot weather, you get bullet lube and black lead all over your fingers. It used to take me ½ hour to SCRUB all of that crap off of my hands and then I was digging around under the sink and found this gojo® Orange Hand Cleaner and it takes off the gunk as if by magic! Right now, NO waiting and NO scrubbing. It takes gun cleaning grunge off of your hands just as well. :)

I wish I had found this YEARS ago…

Ed

It may be because I cast my own, but my hands are still clean after a loading session. At least visibly clean, I still wash them.

Reminds me why I cast my own.

If you're looking for stuff to clean with, to get grease, oil, all the nasty stuff off, find a printing supply store in town. The kind of store that deals with printers, not the pinter supply aisle of OfficeMax.

Printers have to clean ink off their hands, and there are more things to scrub it off without taking a layer of skin off than you'd believe.

A half gallon container is almost a lifetime supply.

Most of the " orange " cleaners work pretty well.

I have been using some stuff called Aretil , which you rub in BEFORE you get your hands dirty, everything washes right off later.

Glove Coat is another brand I have used. Fiberglass resin comes off with soap and water.

Check with fiberglass and automotive paint type suppliers in your area.

Handy for reloading and working on the car, but slimy and slick under latex gloves.

Keeps the grunge out from under your fingernails pretty well too.

Travis F.

PS:

If you are loading ammo for super secret CIA black ops type ninja warfare, be sure to wipe the fingerprints off. This stuff leaves some residue behind sometimes.

You might want to be careful using citrus based solvents and cleaners. Most contain D-Lemonene which is both a solvent and a transdermal. So do you want to be dissolving stuff with a solvent that will carry it through the skin into your bloodstream? I doubt you could dissolve enough lead to be a problem, but there are other chemicals in reloading especially in fired cases from the priming materials. I just use plain hand soap to clean up.

As TBF mentioned the skin coatings work very well. I use DermaShield or Glove Coat.

DermaShield

Here's the msds for GoJo Orange

GoJo MSDS

It is listed in the 'other ingredients' section of the MSDS. If you look at the MSDS for D-Lemonene it doesn't list any health hazards for skin absorption because the D-Lemonene itself isn't hazardous, it's what it can carry that can be hazardous. :(

Here are a couple of other URL's www.intox.org

Skin Contact:

Liquid can probably cause irritation. Specific human information is not available, but citrus peel oil, which contains about 90% d-limonene, is an irritant.(10) d-Limonene was a mild to moderate irritant in animal tests. Limonene (isomer not specified) was absorbed through the skin at 100 times the rate of water

drug delivery tech

Nitrendipine, a potent antihypertensive molecule undergoes extensive first-pass metabolism with oral bioavailability in the range from 10% to 20%. The objective of present research investigations was to fabricate an Eudragit E100® pressure sensitive adhesive (PSA)-based stable transdermal therapeutic system (TTS) of nitrendipine, which could deliver drug at a maximum input rate through a transdermal route. Monolithic TTS of nitrendipine was fabricated in Eudragit E100® PSA-based pressure sensitive adhesive. To enhance flux, d-limonene was investigated as a permeation enhancer, and effect of concentration of d-limonene on permeation kinetics of nitrendipine through guinea pig skin was examined.

Of course you could just use DermaShield first then clean up with GoJo Orange ;)

Nolan

One more hint about the barrier cream stuff.

DO NOT use it for shooting , the addition of a little sweat makes a very effective lubricant , and things will jusr squirt right out of your hand.

Arretil brand stuff I have currently, also smells funny. Like bad perfume.

I do not recall Glove Coat brand being scented.

Travis F.

• 6 years later...

IMO, Gojo and Dwipes (Dwipes actually contain Aloe Vera, a plant that absorbs Lead from the ground!) are just regular anionic surfactant soaps. Great for dissolving dirt, but Lead is not dirt, and it doesnt act like dirt. Microscopic amounts stick to skin through an electromagnetic charge that creates a bond to skin. Uranium is easier to clean off than Lead! The CDC recomends using Hygenall, which I found at Galls.com. Its called Hygenall FieldWipes (they dont have it on their website for some reason). What is great about the Hygenall stuff is that you dont have to rinse.

I use two things

#1 a good pair of Nitrile Gloves (little to no hand washing necessary :) )

#2 Chef's Soap http://www.cybercucina.com/ccimages/products/CS6001-K-l.jpg

The Chef's soap cleans surprisingly well without being harsh, removing or irritating skin, and most importantly to me...*no perfumes or fragrances* I have used it for everything from cleaning pots and pans to getting grunge off my hands from working on my car. It just does what it should do with no muss or fuss... and the huge bars of it last a LOOOOOOONG time!

My ex-GF's kids used to love washing their hands with it because the bar is massive at about 14oz and about 6" x 3" :D

• 2 weeks later...

Orange Gojo is pretty good stuff, but the cherry hand cleaner from Zep is truly the shit, It's about the same consistency as homemade preserves and makes the dirt fall right off.

At our shop we have tried virtually every hand cleaner known to man and as of right now the cherry Zep has proven to be the most popular. :cheers:

Orange Gojo is pretty good stuff, but the cherry hand cleaner from Zep is truly the shit, It's about the same consistency as homemade preserves and makes the dirt fall right off.

At our shop we have tried virtually every hand cleaner known to man and as of right now the cherry Zep has proven to be the most popular. :cheers:

I have used the orange cleaner for years after reloading, but I'm going to find some cherry Zep and try it.

Thanks, Pat :cheers:

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Cherry Bomb is the best creme type hand cleaner I have ever used. I have a rather dirty job and it gets hands very clean. The Zep Power Powder is even better but you need water

I have a cheap box of normal dry laundry soap that I keep under the sink for extreme hand cleaning. It works just like Lava soap but is much cheaper. Just get your hands a little damp and pour some out and rub it in.

I've used just about every type of hand cleaner on the market from working with automobiles and airplanes. Good ol' cheap dry laundry soap works just as good.