Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ebay, chinese knock off holster gear.?

Seale

Im constantly seeing a lot of clone type holsters float tubes, sights, etc on ebay described as for "airsoft".Ive asked around and gotten answers from "Its there way of skirting rules and copywright legalities" to "Its all cheaply made crap."

Anyone on here buy the stuff and try it? Such as....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Airsoft-IPSC-Competition-IDPA-Quick-Draw-Right-Handed-CR-Speed-Holster-Black-D1-/251028135315?_trksid=p4340.m444&_trkparms=algo%3DPI.WATCH%252BCRX%26its%3DC%252BS%26itu%3DUCC%252BSI%252BUA%252BLM%252BLA%26otn%3D15%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7473364806052058493

1: You get what you pay for . . . . Every time.

2: It is all just crap. Cheap knock off's, the metal parts are made with recycled Buick bumpers and plastics are recycled soda bottles.

3: it says for "AirSoft" because that’s about how durable it is.

4: there are some really smart and innovative people designing and producing quality products for the shooting sports, For the most part these people sell their goods to us at what they cost plus a modest profit balanced with what the market will support.

Having some ass clown rip off years of their hard work and designs put out a product that is always a substandard knock off is causing damage to our sport.

("well is was a good deal but it didn't fit exactly like it was supposed to. I fixed it with a dremel.")

When said air soft knock off breaks (and it will) Young Noob shooter who purchased said killer deal goes to the real manufacturer of the legitimate part and complains, he is horrified , just horrified when he is informed that he

A: got ripped off

B: is not going to receive a new legitimate part for free under warranty.

C: is not even going to have the Air soft knock off repaired.

D: is not going to recive a 50% off sympithy discount for the real part.

Young Noob will then take his anger, frustrations and indignation to the internet and voice his misguided opinions to all who will listen that Big time shooter and manufacturer Mr. X puts out a crappy product that he won't warranty.

please don't think that this is just reserved for the shooting sports.

please for your breakfast enjoyment Google "Counterfeit parts"

I went to a seminar in the 80's where this was a problem, and at that time I was putting 8-15 tons of lighting and sound rigs over the audiences heads, counterfeit cable, shackles and hardware was a big problem then. We always checked our gear. Every load in and load out.

1: you get what you pay for.

All of this rant is just to convince you to buy the legitimate parts , from legitimate vendors, suppliers and reps and only from a known and reputable manufacturer.

I have one ofthe "Big Dragon" CR-Speed clones for my Airsoft pistol and it works well for the Airsoft pistol...

It also holds my 2011 well however the belt hanger portion is a little on the flimsy side. I Screwed around with it and installed the holster onto the belt slide for the real CR-Speed holster I have and it worked just fine.

Note:

The entire holster including the hanger and belt slide is made of plastic. Only the screws holsing it together are metal.

Guys i work over here in China and you WOULDNT believe the stuff they copy and make, Some stuff is real and some not,Like Nike they have a Huge factory over here where most of the Nike shoes are made and i can get them before all the middle men get to jack up the price.

I buy a couple suitcases full every hitch i am over here, Shoes,Scopes,Jackets you name it i have brought it.

I have never messed with any of there holsters yet, But i am sure i will before long, If the women will quit loading me up bringing shoes and North face jackets home.lol

I bought a cmore airsoft knock off for my .22. "Looks" EXACTLY like a real one. Fit and finish are not as good as OEM. I replaced the knockoff module with a real one. Functions well for ME. For $60, it was well worth the money to test it out. If it breaks in a few years, I may get another one. If I get 4 yrs of use out of it for $60...

I'll admit I have bought some knockoff stuff in the past. Aimpoint clones for .22s and some stuff for our sport as well. I felt bad for not buying from companies who support our sport, but at the same time, I was in college and couldn't afford to buy everything new OEM at the time. Most of it has broken by now or been replaced with the real item. It feels like a waste of money now. If I had waited and gotten the OEM part to begin with, it would have lasted forever under warrantee and I wouldn't have needed to throw things away. If you can afford the OEM item without having to skip a few meals (though some of us could stand to anyway, haha) then I would go OEM. If not, then be prepared for it to break down the road somewhere or be lacking in quality from the beginning.

Buy once, cry once or be doomed to buy junk over and over and over again.

I bought from this place. http://www.tactical-gear-outlet.com/ipsc_gears.html

The CR-speed replicas aren't bad, I didn't buy a holster from them since I don't plan to run a race holster. Their belts are sub standard. The inner belt only has stiffening material in about 1/2 of it, the rest is flimsy. The outer belt isn't as thick as the normal CR-speed belts and belt attachments seem to move around a bit more. I bought two belts and a bunch of the CR-speed replicas but for the price I could have bought one good belt that would have worked and the few CR-speed pouches I'll actually use. I did however modify three of the CR-speed pouches to attach to Tek-loks and not feel bad about it.

Having some ass clown rip off years of their hard work and designs put out a product that is always a substandard knock off is causing damage to our sport.

Well put. Buy quality and support those that support us.

I am not buying a holster that costs more than the airsoft gun I put in it. Some of those guns don't fit the holster you use for your competition gun so you would have to reconfigure your equipment every time you want to use your 22 conversion kit or airsoft pistol.

The replicas have their place and people just need to understand that.

• 1 month later...

Ok I admit, that is me who made the video. But I've been using these two rigs for two years now without a problem. I had a real one that is made under the JR holster brand from the Philippines that was made & feels exactly like the airsoft ones in the video. The JR brand cost me $140 & can swap the pieces around with the airsoft holsters. For all I know, they are made by the same company. A fellow shooter in my club wanted the JR one so I sold it to him since it was from his home country. The only difference was the logo & they were in the exact same spot. All I can say is it works for me & was what I could get my hands on at the time. I originally got it for airsoft use but once I got it & saw it was exactly like the "original" JR one I had I figured I might as well make use of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've personally only used one of the belts, but it works fine for my uses. All my gear stays on an has never come off :).

I probably wouldn't try one of the actual holsters (I barely trust speed holsters anyways much less a cheapo one), but for the belts and pouches I don't really care. If I bought a belt or pouch and it broke I'd no more blame the "original" creator than I would blame Colt if a Kimber 1911 broke or had an issue.

Besides, with the "Big Dragon" Belt for example (the actual name they market it with), which product is it even a copy of? It's a stiff outer belt with an inner belt, but it's not quite like a CR, Double Alpha, JR, or the Ghost belt. If it's a copy then those are pretty much all copies of each other as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Here are the "Big Dragon" holsters that I have used for the last couple of years. First rig is for my G17 Open, G35, & G24. I just adjust the muzzle platform for each slide length. Also fits my G21.

Rig%201.jpg

I made a plate to mount the hanger to a Blackhawk paddle, it works great, helps spread the weight out, makes it a sturdier platform & is comfortable enough to wear the whole day out at the range.

With the G17 open gun.

Rig%202.jpg

I took my blue one I used for my Para P-14 & converted it for my S&W Model 66. Also added another Blackhawk paddle from a holster I no longer have. The only thing needed was to make a taller muzzle platform.

Rig%203.jpg

Here is the M66 in the holster.

Rig%204.jpg

I find they work really well for me.

I bought a chinese belt and it will be enought for my need. I ordered CR Speed knockoff mag pouches, but I received a holster instead... hmmm, weird. Maybe I should use it for SS match.

But I'm pleased to see it's not so bad. Thanks for the review Glockman.

But you're the first shooter I see wearing the locking lever in the "inner" side. Advantage?

I've never understood how people have been brainwashed to believe in intellectual property protection so broad that they think that sellers own an idea.

If someone else can make a quality part cheaper, that is what capitalism is for and I don't know WHY anyone would think themselves justified in saying otherwise.

This idea that somehow ideas must lead to income is certainly absent from our markets across the board, but it's definitely part of pop culture, for better or worse.

Fortunately (for them) our competitors aren't so constrained. And we can reap the benefits of more affordable products.

I bought a chinese belt and it will be enought for my need. I ordered CR Speed knockoff mag pouches, but I received a holster instead... hmmm, weird. Maybe I should use it for SS match.

But I'm pleased to see it's not so bad. Thanks for the review Glockman.

But you're the first shooter I see wearing the locking lever in the "inner" side. Advantage?

The locking mechanism on this holster is on the inside, when I holster the weapon, I have gotten used to locking it by pushing it down with my thumb & this keeps it secure. When you draw, as you grip the the weapon, the middle finger engages the locking lever upward & unlocks the holster. Just to avoid any confusion, CR Speed have the lock on the outside & you need to unlock it prior to your draw. This design allows you to have it locked but quickly disengage on the draw. I plan to make a follow up video of it being drawn from the holster soon.

I would avoid buying from Ebay as you don't know the quality or authenticity of the product and do you really want to have your holster fail during a match? If it's for airsoft, fine, use whatever holster you want. But if I'm shooting a match, I'd rather not have my fellow competitors use cheap knock-offs that can fail. In the end we're responsible for safety and we should be responsible for our equipment.

Just to clarify, in case someone isn't familiar with JR Holsters, as I was a year ago. It's a Philippine company that makes competition belts, holsters, mag pouches for IPSC shooters in the Philippines, where IPSC is popular. I was introduced to the brand by Chris Patty, www.CPWSA.com and purchased their mag pouches and have been happy with them. No affiliation with JR Holsters or CPWSA.com, just a customer.

It's why I will test the holster before. for mag pouches the risk is somewhat low, if he break, too bad i will miss a mag pouch...

Can anyone tell us what are those spare parts:

CR-SH-R03-1.jpg

And for the ethical part... what is ethic... copying and reverse enginering is not new, and US make a lot too, even for his own military...

The War Department had exhaustively studied and dissected several examples of the Spanish Mauser Model 93 rifle captured during the Spanish-American War, and applied some features of the U.S. Krag rifle to a bolt and magazine system derived from the Mauser Model 93, to produce the new U.S. Springfield Rifle, the Model 1903. Despite Springfield Armory's use of a two-piece firing pin and other slight design alterations, the 1903 was in fact a Mauser design, and after that company brought suit, the U.S. government was forced to pay royalties to Mauser Werke

And from some big gun compant too...

The Sigma series pistols are so similar to the competing Glock pistols that Glock sued Smith & Wesson for patent infringement. The case was settled out of court in 1997, with S&W agreeing to make alterations to the Sigma design and pay an undisclosed amount to Glock.