Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What guns do the top limited competitiors shoot?

EngineerEli

The seller of this gun did suggest it ran best on long loaded ammo. (1.220") Diehli, what do you mean my most are built wrong??? When I get it I plan on trying a few different lengths of ammo, but it would be nice to know i can run standard length in a jam. Should a factory built SVI reliably cycle standard and long loaded ammo?

-Eli

I think what Diehli means is that there are more than a few quality 'smiths who can make a top quality gun that will run both. If a 'smith claims that it can't be done, well there are more than a few examples that refute that statement.

Brandon @ SV claims that my SV will run on long or standard .40 though I've never tried any standard. Based on the way it runs with long (100%), I have no reason to change. If you get a SV from the factory (as opposed to a gun built by someone with SV parts) you can expect it to run with either.

Also, if you're getting a used factory SV, go ahead and send Brandon a note. More than a few folks here have been in that position and report that Brandon and SV have been more than happy to give the gun a once over and perform any remedial work that the particular gun might need.

Edited by lumpygravy

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brandon @ SV claims that my SV will run on long or standard .40 though I've never tried any standard. Based on the way it runs with long (100%), I have no reason to change. If you get a SV from the factory (as opposed to a gun built by someone with SV parts) you can expect it to run with either.

Also, if you're getting a used factory SV, go ahead and send Brandon a note. More than a few folks here have been in that position and report that Brandon and SV have been more than happy to give the gun a once over and perform any remedial work that the particular gun might need.

That is actually a great idea, Its always nice to hear a company that stands behind their products, even when they change hands. I think it would be good though to shoot the gun a bit before I send it in just to make sure there aren't any other issues I need to have worked out with it when I send it in. I may have it refinished too, then it would seem brand new to me. Anyone know how much SV charges for reblueing of the exterior of a gun?

-Eli

That is actually a great idea, Its always nice to hear a company that stands behind their products, even when they change hands. I think it would be good though to shoot the gun a bit before I send it in just to make sure there aren't any other issues I need to have worked out with it when I send it in. I may have it refinished too, then it would seem brand new to me. Anyone know how much SV charges for reblueing of the exterior of a gun?

-Eli

Not a standard service, though Brandon will gladly let you know what he charges.

Somewhere between $120-150 for a whole gun seems to be the going rate.

Go get any used STI or SV, with reliable mags. Doesn't matter if its 5" or 6" at this point, or any other feature - other than its reliable. Cosmetics - optional.

Shoot it for a year. 10K rounds or so, min. Take a class or two. Dry fire. Have fun.

After that, you'll know what you want..... sell the used one and go get "the one".

Get to the shooting now, fine tune your desires later. Waiting for a custom gun to get built for a year, without even actually really knowing what features you might need/want, would be just delaying the fun part, shooting.

Go get any used STI or SV, with reliable mags. Doesn't matter if its 5" or 6" at this point, or any other feature - other than its reliable. Cosmetics - optional.

Shoot it for a year. 10K rounds or so, min. Take a class or two. Dry fire. Have fun.

After that, you'll know what you want..... sell the used one and go get "the one".

Get to the shooting now, fine tune your desires later. Waiting for a custom gun to get built for a year, without even actually really knowing what features you might need/want, would be just delaying the fun part, shooting.

Exactly my plan! :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

I love my 6 inch STI bushing gun. It was built by a fellow forum member and it is amazing, the longer sight radius is great on steel and longer shots. I shot a few bull barrel sixers before I bought the one I have but the bushing guns feel better to me. It's all personal preference though, some people swear by the bull barrel. Best advice is to pick one and shoot the hell out of it! Oh and have fun, this ain't a job (unless you're damn good....and a little lucky!)

I read all the thread and it's pretty good. But you can shoot all the top shooters guns and find a surprize. their all a little different. Some like a 1 1/2 # trigger and another wants a 3# trigger or somewhere in between just what they feel makes them fast and accurate. all grips are not the same you need one that fits you. you need ammo thats 100% right for your gun. I see some people spend $$$$ on a custom gun and then want to tweek it a little, Hello you just spent the money what makes you think the builder didn't do it right? Best advise in all these threads is get a gun you like shoot the hell out of it and find what works for you. you will not find that in a couple thousand rounds. having a gun you think is the best in the state don't mean anything if you can't shoot it. The top shooters can take your gun and make it act like a top gun because they shoot thousands of rounds,have great trigger control and keep their focus on the sights. It's alot of work that most cannot afford if you don't have the money and time to practice. Yes you can be good but not in the top ten match after match. so shoot and have fun.

Well, if you look the left at my new avitar picture, that's my new gun! I ended up picking up the used SV I was looking at. So far I have about 200 rds through it at the range, and another 160 through it at a match last Sunday. The gun shoots AMAZING!!! I swear the sight tracker barrel and other added stationary weight and reduced reciprocating weight helps reduce felt recoil to the feel of 9mm. I wasn't quite firing on all cylinders mentally Sunday though. I can confidently say the gun was not holding me back at all. I plan on making a 'look at my new gun, and answer these questions I have about it' thread soon. I'll post a link here when I do.

Thanks again to everyone's help!

-Eli

I use an EAA Witness Limited. You can get into one of those setups for about half the cost as an STI/SVI rig.

Realistically though, it all comes down to what fits your hand the best. I myself have really wide hands and can't shoot an STI/SVI without getting severe slide bite on the top web of my hand. The EAA pistols have a shorter slide that gets it up away from my hand so it does not slide bite me. So I am pretty much stuck with shooting the EAA or CZ based pistols due to my hand size.

As long as it goes boom every time you want it to and the bullets hit where you are aiming, which gun you use really does not matter.

I use an EAA Witness Limited. You can get into one of those setups for about half the cost as an STI/SVI rig.

Realistically though, it all comes down to what fits your hand the best. I myself have really wide hands and can't shoot an STI/SVI without getting severe slide bite on the top web of my hand. The EAA pistols have a shorter slide that gets it up away from my hand so it does not slide bite me. So I am pretty much stuck with shooting the EAA or CZ based pistols due to my hand size.

As long as it goes boom every time you want it to and the bullets hit where you are aiming, which gun you use really does not matter.

I had the same problem with slide bite and the krebbs style thumb shield did the trick for me.