Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What guns do the top limited competitiors shoot?

EngineerEli

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... I just want to have the data on what gear the top shooter use.

Most years, there is a thread on what the top 10 or so used at the Nationals. Look it up on the search page. (unless you have already made up your mind and just want confirmation to bolster your choice, because you won't really get that from the data).

I can run it down pretty quick. I don't think anybody has won the Limited Nationals with an SV. Smitty was the 2nd to win with an STI. There might have been a "McCormick" frame used back in the day (which is really the same as an STI/SV frame). Caspian, Para & Springfield won most of the Nationals other than that (because of who was shooting them). Glock gets there with 2 of the best iron sighted shooters in the game running them.

If you are comparing STI's and SV's and any other variation of the 1911...you are really comparing gunsmiths and components used. Everybody is going to have their favorites...including their sponsors. ;) Which is fine...as most of those that have been around long enough to have a name in our game make good stuff.

Smitty is the current USPSA Limited National Champion. He has bragging rights!

* disclaimer...I was one of the early guys to make GM with a Glock.

Thanks again for everyone reply!

I should have expected the CZ TS to come up. Actually one of the guys I shoot with shoots with one of those and another the EAA Witness Elite (very similar), and quite well, but i have slightly shorter thumbs and dont love the lower farther forward placement of the thumb safety which i use as a thumb rest. I also checked and i think the beavertail is just about the same length as on the 75 SA, and while the hammer bite I have been experiencing isn't a huge deal I would prefer to not have to deal with it. Lastly, I really like the options of the 2011/1911 platform. I have been shooting my cz and the only place I can get my parts is from CZ Custom, who does make great parts but if what they have isn't exactly what I want, or they are out of stock I'm SOL, so I'm thinking it is time to move a little more towards the main stream.

The fact that the top ten may not be shooting SV or STI guns is fine i am just curious to see what they look like and how they are set up. I have done a bunch of searching an may have just been using the wrong words but if someone wants to put up a link to one of these equipment of the top ten threads that would be greatly appreciated. According to a lot of what I have seen it is looking like my best bet is a gun from a custom shop with a full length dust cover, lightened slide, low lpi front and rear slide serrations and some sort of flat trigger. ( I have shot a flat trigger before and really like it) Now I just have to get over how much this is going to cost me, it will definitely be the most expensive gun I have bought yet, even if I go used! :surprise:

No one ever rely ever replied as to how you know if a used gun has enough life left in it to be worth buying. Are there any pointers someone can give me????

I bought a lightly used Cameron Custom, full length dust cover on this forum.

I gave about $1300 less than the gun and mags cost new. :cheers:

It is an incredibly nice gun.

That sounds like you got a really great deal, those guns new are above 3k right. Other problem is you really have to keep SUCH a close eye on the classifieds to snag a deal like that, I bet it sold FAST!

Actually, it took a few days. I had to contact the buyer and see if he would wait a bit while I sold gunshit to raise the funds.

He was very helpful.

Guns over $2K don't seem to move quite as fast as the less expensive ones, but yes, if you are looking to buy, have the cash put back and camp out on the Classifieds.

Another thing to ad that as building custom guns, shooters think that when they buy their idea of the "perfect" gun, they will overnight jump up a class or two, which is not the case :-). Shooting the gun you have and sticking with it is worth more than anything.

Hello: I think that alot of the top shooters buy a stock pistol and shoot it a ton. They get used to that type of pistol then they get a custom pistol made that is like there old pistol instead of trying something new. Look at some of the older top shooters and they are shooting pistols that are very old and worn but still shoot great. I do believe it helps to shoot the same pistol and shoot it alot but don't be scared to change up something to see if it works better for you. I used to do this when I road raced cars. I kept notes on what worked and what did not. I do the same with my pistol shooting. Lastly what may work for shooter "X" may not work for. Thanks, Eric

No one ever rely ever replied as to how you know if a used gun has enough life left in it to be worth buying. Are there any pointers someone can give me????

Bob L. of Brazos Custom had an article in a recent Front Sight about buying used vs. new and broke down the pros and cons of each approach. It's probably available on the USPSA site.

If I were buying used, it would have to be FTF so I could inspect the breechface, fitment, etc.... However, many others have bought successfully transferred from a non-local seller. You just need to trust the seller.

I'll also echo another reply by saying that between my 5" and 6" tops I find that the 5" feels more natural but I believe that is because up until recently, I've only shot 5" guns. Like most things, it's all about what you use on a consistent basis. I think the 6" will be worth the transition because of the extra sight radius, but I'll need to shoot it a lot to become as comfortable with it as I am currently with the 5".

Yea, that is where I am running in to a problem. The gun I am looking at is in Florida and I live in Illinois. The seller sent me a lot of photos, but as you said it is his word saying that the fitment is tight. I snooped around a little on the web and found he is a USPSA shooter and is highly classified, so I don't know if that adds to his credibility, but it tells me he knows guns and has experience.

I'll definitely have to go look for that article and see what it says.

No that wasn't it. Though informative, your's is much more general.

Are you a USPSA member? I've forgotten the password to my account so I can't retrieve the link to the article. Not that it would do you any good unless you were a member.

I think it was maybe two issues ago? My 50 year old brain doesn't retain much anymore.

You might try the Brazos Custom website to see if it's posted there. Many of Bob L.'s earlier articls are available there.

Here's a link to the Brazos Custom page with Bob's Front Sight articles dating back to 2009. Lots of good info on many topics.

Unfortunately, the used vs. new article is much more recent and not posted on Bob's website. It was in the Sept/Oct 2011 issue which, by co-inky-dink, I happen to have right here. :surprise:

If you PM me your email, I'd be happy to send you a pdf copy of the article.

I can run it down pretty quick. I don't think anybody has won the Limited Nationals with an SV. Smitty was the 2nd to win with an STI. There might have been a "McCormick" frame used back in the day (which is really the same as an STI/SV frame). Caspian, Para & Springfield won most of the Nationals other than that (because of who was shooting them). Glock gets there with 2 of the best iron sighted shooters in the game running them.

I think Nils and Ted both used an STI frame to win Limited Nationals, which would make Smitty at least the 3rd to win with one.

1. Call a reputable builder. There are a bunch. See SVI, Matt Cheely, Shay Akai, Cameron's Customs, Millenium Custom, Virgil Tripp, and on and on and on.

2. Talk to the builder about what makes a Limited gun "work" for Limited.

3. Realize that if Bob Vogel decided to shoot his Glock 24 at Limited Nationals he would be a threat to win it.

4. Realize that BJ Norris came in at 98.38% at the last Nationals using a rented Glock 35 and magazines borrowed from Dave Sevigny.

5. Finally understand that the best gun for Limited is the one that is in your hands after you complete a class with someone like Manny Bragg.

6. If you "get" all of the above, but still want something really sexy, call Brandon at SVI.

+1. Well said Andy.

I am in the market for a new limited / limited 10 gun and have been searching for what guns exactly the top shooters from these two divisions have shot in the past few years. If there is somewhere obvious I can find this information please let me know, if it is something of a "trade secret" let me know that too.

If there are M and GM shooters out there that are willing to disclose what guns they shoot, and with what specs, I think it would be really interesting and helpful in specifying out my new gun. Anything you are willing to give is helpful, make, model, gun smith, barrel length, component weights, build sheets, and of course PICTURES!!!

I realize this is pretty general, and that this could turn into a back and forth of which is best, but I just want to have the data on what gear the top shooter use.

Thanks everyone,

Eli

I would ask yourself how dedicated you are to the sport? What is your current classification, where do you want to go? Are you the type of person who gets wrapped up in a new hobby and dumps it quickly after finding something new or do you tend to stick with things? Also, what have you shot and liked? Budget, etc?

I got hung up on the whole magic gun thing for a while. After getting some really sound advice I decided to stick with my G35 and put the money I would have spent on a new gun into training with a GM who has taken me much farther than a new gun could have in a short period of time. I still have a long way to go, but I have more cash to dedicate to ammo/practice and matches than I would have if I built or bought a super sexy limited blaster.

The only way I would entertain getting a new gun now would be if a deal came along that I would have to be insane to pass up. Sure my G35 isn't super cool looking or the fastest shooting gun out there but, it works every freaking time I need it to and if I do my part, hits everything I point it at. At the SC state match last weekend I saw a lot of really nice blasters. I also saw a lot of hiccups and a ton of lost time because of those hiccups.

I guess it just depends on how involved you want to be?

I think Nils and Ted both used an STI frame to win Limited Nationals, which would make Smitty at least the 3rd to win with one.

D-oh. I forgot about Nils shooting an STI. I had previously watched him kick butt with a Glock in his hand. (and, before that...he made GM with a Revolver?)

D-oh. I forgot about Nils shooting an STI. I had previously watched him kick butt with a Glock in his hand. (and, before that...he made GM with a Revolver?)

All the more evidence that it's the shooter, not the gun that makes the biggest impact.

To the OP: Of course we all want a gun that pairs well with our abilities, and we want something that will inspire us to pick it up and practice. If buying a used gun doesn't inspire you, or shooting a CZ doesn't inspire you, go visit a few vendor tents at matches this year and fondle some guns while you talk to some builders. Find someone you jell with and put in an order. There is obviously no secret recipe that the top GMs are hoarding, other than lots of talent and hard work.

I had an email exhange with a professional open shooter recently. He disclosed that he's shooting anywhere from 700-900 rounds a day, 4-5 days a week, and that's not couting all the dry fire he does. The only time he usually takes off is a few days after a Major.

Chris,

You and I know who you talked to and it's not an exaggeration. He came out of nowhere in a couple of years because he has the means, the desire and the dedication to practice...and he's quite athletic too....

Sounds like Bill Drummond....

I was thining the same thing. I've heard his daily routine and his level of dedication is incredible.

1. Call a reputable builder. There are a bunch. See SVI, Matt Cheely, Shay Akai, Cameron's Customs, Millenium Custom, Virgil Tripp, and on and on and on.

2. Talk to the builder about what makes a Limited gun "work" for Limited.

3. Realize that if Bob Vogel decided to shoot his Glock 24 at Limited Nationals he would be a threat to win it.

4. Realize that BJ Norris came in at 98.38% at the last Nationals using a rented Glock 35 and magazines borrowed from Dave Sevigny.

5. Finally understand that the best gun for Limited is the one that is in your hands after you complete a class with someone like Manny Bragg.

6. If you "get" all of the above, but still want something really sexy, call Brandon at SVI.

I had SVI build a gun for me once. Never again.

I would ask yourself how dedicated you are to the sport? What is your current classification, where do you want to go? Are you the type of person who gets wrapped up in a new hobby and dumps it quickly after finding something new or do you tend to stick with things? Also, what have you shot and liked? Budget, etc?

I got hung up on the whole magic gun thing for a while. After getting some really sound advice I decided to stick with my G35 and put the money I would have spent on a new gun into training with a GM who has taken me much farther than a new gun could have in a short period of time. I still have a long way to go, but I have more cash to dedicate to ammo/practice and matches than I would have if I built or bought a super sexy limited blaster.

The only way I would entertain getting a new gun now would be if a deal came along that I would have to be insane to pass up. Sure my G35 isn't super cool looking or the fastest shooting gun out there but, it works every freaking time I need it to and if I do my part, hits everything I point it at. At the SC state match last weekend I saw a lot of really nice blasters. I also saw a lot of hiccups and a ton of lost time because of those hiccups.

I guess it just depends on how involved you want to be?

I just want to say I do appreciate that enough practice can make you very good with any equipment. That being said would it not be true if you have equipment with some flaws either actual or in your head, it will cause you to take longer to make it to the same level of competition? I think especially for the stage I'm in right now, the used gun is still a far better option than a brand new one because of price savings.

I was asked about my current situation in case it helps clarify anything. I am 25 and have been shooting pistols competitively for 7 years the first of that rimfire bullseye in college, then 4 years of "combat shooting" at my local range, basically non sanctioned uspsa. I just this season found a group of guys that go shooting most weekends, signed up for uspsa and have been to two matches so far. While I am unclassified at the time being, if I did my math right I should skip right in to C class once they run the numbers this month. I also just recently took a three day uspsa style competitive shooting class, which helped a LOT!

I also, have been reloading on a single stage press for about a year, and have a .40 180 gr cmj round using TG that I really like. I have shot a lot of guns including many 1911's which I really liked but have only handled 2011's on a few occasions. I do have an airsoft version of one, that I stippled the grip of :D, and I do like the feel of that. I have heard and believe that the signature grip is a nice blend between the 1911 straight grip and the CZ grip with the arched back. I have shot and didn't care for all the other usual suspects for limited, M&P, Glock, XDM...

My goals as a young professional (engineer), are to attend at least 3 matches a month over the summer months, and try to achieve B class or higher within the next two or three seasons. Nothing would make me happier than to get signed to shoot professionally, but I'm pretty sure that is not in my future. Your earlier discussion of the professional open shooter who shot nearly 1000 rds a day five days a week for his "job" made me drool :goof:.

Sorry if I am rambling but I do really appreciate everyone's input!

-Eli