Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Photos from texas Tac Pro Sniper match.

MattBurkett

Actually a lot of them are former and current military, LE, or firearms instructors.

It is a Sniper match not a USPSA short range rifle course. There are no restrictions on clothing and no attempt made to be politically correct. You can wear anything you want to. Camo sure looks better with mud all over it than most of the other colors. After humping around 40+ pounds of gear and a 15 pound gun for 2-4 miles per day, you won't care what anyone is wearing.

I don't understand the lack of eye protection at that match or other rifle matches I've seen pictures of. Doesn't a sniper/tactical/precision rifle cartridge generate 50,000 psi from a large volume of hot gas? Aren't your eyes about six inches from the brass cartridge containing that 50K psi gas? Are case head separations unheard of in bolt rifles? Curious, not critical...

Erik,

I can't speak for the matches (Matt and others can jump in here) but I know that it is not unusual to see military snipers not using eye protection in practice and in FTX's (my experience level but it's similar during an operation) for various reasons (light reflection being a factor, among others).

Rich

I don't think there is anything wrong with camo clothing at matches at all, and I think the "discouragement" in the USPSA/IPSC rules is silly.

Given that ... those pics clearly demonstrate that many of those guys are as into "the look" for their game as the cowboy shooters are for theirs. Nothing wrong with that, but people make fun of the cowboys all of the time for their attention to wardrobe ... fair is fair.

Most of the people I know who don't wear eye protection are all current or ex-military. I don't know why, but some of them are pretty stubborn about it. It's unwise in any sort of recreational or training situation in my opinion, but then what do I know?

(/tweak matt mode)off

From left to right.

Can't see the face of the first guy so I don't know what he does.

2nd guy is an LE sniper.

3rd guy not sure.

4th guy prior or current mil

5th and 6th guy current mil

7th is Jacob running the event

:)

Some of the reasons behind the clothes are that some events can rip up most civilian clothing. Camo's are generally pretty durable and reasonable.

Beside, you don't want to look like me at one of those matches all 5.11 tactical'd out! The only camo I usually wear is for the winter comps and it is an insulated bib set up.

Shot with a bunch of those guys in May -- good people. Matt I think the last guy on the right is Southwest Mike -- tactical sniper airline pilot (and a very good shot).

Most of these fellas shoot a LOT of "Precision" (pick your own favorite word) matches -- many of them call for some type of stalk (sneaking through the grass) so the standard shooting outfit is something that, well, looks like grass. Many, like me, just use regular hunting clothes. Besides, if you go to a sniper match, what are you supposed to wear B)

These things are like IPSC at 100 to 1000 yards -- loads of fun!

Damn, not only am I getting made fun of for my dress, but for my look and height.

I suppose it doesn't make any difference a good looking blonde was taking the picture? Does this help my image any:

trinalowlight02.jpg

I can add that I wear cammies for many reasons, including comfort, ease and protection from the elements. It ended up raining very heavy and in fact it knocked out 5 competitors who's equipment or person was not able to withstand the mud and water. (Pressure from wet ammo broke bolts, scopes became flooded, etc.. )

For our style of shooting the gear makes it easier to shoot and move.

Hi Matt, missed you at the Snipers Hide Cup. You should ask Bill about my "New York Head Shot" on the pistol segment...

As for myself, I have 7 years prior military, even the USMC allows vertically challenged folks to attend Sniper School go figure.

As far as eye protection, well, but here is a great photo of a round being ejected:

sniperjcsmokinshell.jpg

gaptruckbumper1.jpg

All in good fun...

Lowlight, no offense intended. I was going to begin saying "I'm sure this guy could kill me from across a room, none the less..." but I didn't, sorry. I take it back after seeing the other photos you posted.

Todd :D

Weeeeeellllll, I dunno....... he looks a little "funny" in that picture too. I am beginning to see a pattern. Hummmm. B)

.....but then again, there is this legend about a lap dance......

Well, now I have to get some cammies and learn how to shoot a rifle properly. That's all there is to it.

Now ... where did I put that link for William "the Refrigerator" Perry's camouflage clothing web site ...

As long as we are insulting people that don't deserve to be insulted... :)

What's the deal with farmers???

Aren't they smart enough to know what their truck is used for? Why do they have to put "Farm Truck" on the plates???

Texas is the same as Ohio, in that regard.

:D:lol::)

LL,

I didn't know you monitored this forum as well. I was going to put a good word in for you, but you did fine yourself! Good thing they don't know about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle knee and elbow pads :D !

Like HiCap stated this sport is the closest thing to IPSC with a rifle. Each stage of each match is up to the demented mind of the creator. Aside from the standard drills, they will try to put you in the most uncomfortable/abnormal positions to shoot. Sometimes, as in the TacPro match, the weather makes their job easier in that regard. If you look closely at the picture of the guys below the tower, you'll notice the amount of mud on their shooting attire!

Great fun shooting this game!!