Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help picking Magwell

WSMBUCK

I am wanting to add a couple Magwells to a few of mine and my sons 1911s Single Stacks and was wanting to hear from some of you guys which one yall like the best, I have been looking at STI and ICE we are both wanting something with a good flare to it and a solid Magwell as well. Any others Brands you guys use that you like? Thanks for any help

Short of a weld on magwell techwell is heads and shoulders above the rest. Its solid, doesn't move, doesn't twist, doesn't strip out, provides a good grip on the gun etc. THe only down fall is you have to use their grips but they have several types now to choose from.

I have a Dawson Ice on my Kimber. Up here in the north east my season doesn't start until the end of this month. I can tell you one thing with the Ice installed it just fits the box, with my sights and such. The main thing is that the magazine base pads do not sit too far below the mag well, they are about flush. For me I think this is going to be an issue seating them. I was running one similar tot he Smith and Alexander one above and it worked well for me.

Hello: I have a Smith and Alexander, Dawson No gap, and a Techwell. They all work the same with a little practice time. I like the S&A mainspring housing because it gives me lots of grip for my large hands. The Techwell is nice since it removes easily. The Dawson is nice since it guides your hand. I would try all three if you can and then choose. I would also weight your pistol to make sure it makes weight. The Briley aluminum guide rod from Power Factor Shooting is a nice way to reduce weight easily. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

FWIW, I run both the Techwell and Dawson Ice on my primary and backup 1911s. I think the plastic liner on the Dawson may be *slightly* faster than the Techwell, but the primary difference I see between them is attaching via the MSH vs the grips.

One minor consideration is that the Dawson will be slightly more tolerant of different frame dimensions. I do have a Techwell fitted to a Springfield frame that would require fitting to use on a Caspian frame (the Caspian is slightly longer). The Dawson Ice could go back and forth without modification.

On the other hand, I run a heavy gun (42.5 oz). Using the Dawson MSH isn't an inconvenience for me. If I liked a lighter gun, it'd be nice to have the option of using a plastic MSH, which would require going with the Techwells.

In practice, I can't tell the difference between them. Since I use the the Techwell aluma-grips on all my 1911s regardless of magwell, I'd probably opt for the Techwell for any new build.

I have two ice mag wells. If you don't like a larger magazine well, then don't purchase the ice magwell. When he said that it just barely fits into the box, that was no exaggeration.

I just ordered an ICE yesterday to run on my Spartan. I looked into the Techwell but I don't like how you have to use their grips. The S&A is also a great magwell, but since this is my dedicated competition gun, I decided the ICE might be better.

Also note that if you go with the ICE no-gap, you'll need to buy basepads to fit, or use the DP mags with the basepads. S&A is probably the cheapest solution.

Short of a weld on magwell techwell is heads and shoulders above the rest. Its solid, doesn't move, doesn't twist, doesn't strip out, provides a good grip on the gun etc. THe only down fall is you have to use their grips but they have several types now to choose from.

I just ordered an ICE yesterday to run on my Spartan. I looked into the Techwell but I don't like how you have to use their grips. The S&A is also a great magwell, but since this is my dedicated competition gun, I decided the ICE might be better.

Also note that if you go with the ICE no-gap, you'll need to buy basepads to fit, or use the DP mags with the basepads. S&A is probably the cheapest solution.

Note on the TechWells: Yes, their grips are fitted to the magwell. However, someone with a reasonable set of dremel skills can modify a non-TechWell set of grip panels to fit just as well.

Someone posted a thread (General Gunsmithing sub-fo I think) with their procedure for this modification.

Recently installed an ICE magwell on my STI Sentry and love it! Have an S&A on my Kimber that works well but it not quite as nice as the ICE. Only downside to the ICE is you need longer basepads on your mags to fully seat the mag, I used the Dawson extended basepad for the Cobra mags and it seems to be just enough.

I used S&A magwells on my L-10 and SS guns until I finally got another mainspring housing to use with the techwell I got from another member here. I'm wondering now why I waited so long.