Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

primers problem?

AlexOsensei

It was happening , till now , in few mounths, 3 times.

AFter I stop shooting ipsc stage, I slide the barrel and during the ejection the round fire.

The brass explode and this is the result,

Now I was thinking that the long firing pin accidentally could touch the primer during ejenction..

or I have no idea of what could happen..

img0572s.jpg

img0571e.jpg

img0570ym.jpg

In most instances it's a extended ejector thats the culprit.

There has been a thread on this lately.

Isn't it preventable by retracting the slide

slowly, tipping the gun over on its side so

the cartridge can fall out of the gun, rather

than a violent, rapid ejection?

If you have a dummy round or a spent cartridge, drop it into the chamber. Slowly pull the slide back watching the dummy and the ejector. Does the ejector point near the primer? Does the ejector look bent to the right? Would you take pics of your ejection port area (with the slide open) and post them?

Thanks

@gng4life : I have to to show the pics, after reading about the ejector.. I analized my gun with a dummy round... and after a lot of repetitions.. happened

the extractor released too early the brass , and rotate with the prime toward the ejector... bang...no no..not this time.. but now I know what happened..

I have to search how to solve this problem.. I read using .45 ejector.. is it right?

Just a wild-ass guess, but could a 40 or 45 breech face on a 9mm gun result in the extractor shoving the case over to the side so that the primer would regularly hit the ejector?

My left hand knows (weak hand) know this problem well. 40S&W

Twice in less than 3 months had rounds detonate. (stitches the 1st time - cut by the slide in 2 places) when clearing at completion of a local stage), & the 2nd time when clearing a fat round during a stage at the Nationals in Barry. Ruptured case stuck in to my thumb this time. Neither time did I cover the ejection port when clearing. I did have it checked after the 1st kaboom, but the cause was not found at that time.

It was determined by Derrick from Millennium Custom that the Extractor was weak and allowed the case to "walk", and the Ejector was acting like a firing pin when the case crossed over in front of it. The ejector has about 20K rounds and had multiple faces on the front edge.

Derrick replaced both the Ejector & Extractor right there in Barry & never had a problem since.

Check the extractor first, then the ejector.

Good Luck.

Edited by Dennis (CT)

It was happening , till now , in few mounths, 3 times.

AFter I stop shooting ipsc stage, I slide the barrel and during the ejection the round fire.

The brass explode and this is the result,

Now I was thinking that the long firing pin accidentally could touch the primer during ejenction..

or I have no idea of what could happen..

img0572s.jpg

img0571e.jpg

img0570ym.jpg

It happened to me once! Sharp edge on ejector hits primer of cartridge.