Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The gun I try so hard to love

TRG65

I got an STI Trojan 9mm about 3 years ago. However, due to deployments and other training requirements, I've only used the gun less than a year in an off and on manner. Ever since I got the gun it has not been 100% reliable. I load a 147JHP to about 1.135, it is a silly accurate load in the gun. I'm stuck with the bullet, because on a really good deal I bought a bunch several years ago before the prices doubled. I have tried Wilson ETM, Tripp, and Metalform 10 round mags. I've tried various spring weights. I've sent the gun to Virgil Tripp to have the feed ramp recut. Would a new barrel probably solve the problem? Is there anything else I can try? Because of the number of bullets I have on hand a new barrel would probably be cheaper than changing out the bullets. All the issues are first or second round nose dives jams.

Thanks

Seth

Seth,

Sell the bullets! Someone somewhere wants them, and you may lose a little, but in the long run, it will be worth it. Changing the gun for the bullets? How many and what type are we talking? If you were near me, I'm sure we could find you a buyer local and avoid the shipping hassles.

JZ

Have you tried leaving the mags loaded for a few weeks? Let the springs settle a little maybe, that could help. Does it happen on less than fully loaded mags?

I really want to make a car analogy somehow...like making e a Ferrari run 87 octane unleaded just because you have a few barrels, then trying to solve the engine timing issues. Buy some new gas!

I'll second Jimmy....but... Is it likely that you'll buy the same bullets after you shoot this batch? Or will you find a new load? If you're married to this round, set the gun up for it...but to me it sounds like throwing good money after bad!

If Virgil couldn't make it sing, sell the bullets...I know there are many good smiths out there, but he's certainly one of the best on a 1911.

have the barrel throated, that solved the feeding issues in my spartan.

it sounds like the mag springs are really tight causing to much upward tension on the rounds as they are being stripped off. Leave the mags loaded for a week as others suggest and see if that solves the problem.

As much as we hate to admit it, 9mm 1911's are fickle and take a while to get running right.

just use a different bullet. A round nose bullet will provide the best cure for nosedive feeding problems. the bullet should be hard, so jacketed is best and cast will often perform well, but avoid plated and swaged.

What is the length that fits in the Wilson ETMs? I've got about 4k loaded as described, because that is what I use for my other 9s. I've got about 14k more waiting to be loaded. I'll have the mags loaded and let them sit until I get back. I was inquiring about mechanical fixes, because I've got some time where I won't be using that gun.

What is the length that fits in the Wilson ETMs? I've got about 4k loaded as described, because that is what I use for my other 9s. I've got about 14k more waiting to be loaded. I'll have the mags loaded and let them sit until I get back. I was inquiring about mechanical fixes, because I've got some time where I won't be using that gun.

The fact that this happens on the first or second round seems to flag this as a mag issue, IMHO. I agree with others suggesting a longer load, but, it sounds like the OAL isn't an issue past the first or second round...right?

I have a 9mm Trojan also. I had good luck with the Wilson mags once I cut two coils off, bent the end of the spring under the follower. Might check extractor tension. I ended up putting an Aftec in mine to get it to run 100%.

The fact that this happens on the first or second round seems to flag this as a mag issue, IMHO. I agree with others suggesting a longer load, but, it sounds like the OAL isn't an issue past the first or second round...right?

It's also possible that if there is room in the magazine, after a shot, or two, the rounds are skating forward in the magazine.

I would do the "plunk" test, and see how long the ammo can be loaded, and make it a smidgen shorter. :cheers: