Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should IDPA allow appendix carry?

ProGunGuy

the range I shoot at all the younger employees seem to be using appendix carry these days. I understand currently it is not allowed in IDPA. If it gains in popularity, could there ever be a chance that it may be legal in IDPA?

Edited by ProGunGuy

I would think that IDPA is going to stay with strong-side carry. Appendix carry is simply more difficult to pull off safely, and the SO just can't see the gun as well. Lots of folks also small of back carry, but IDPA hasn't allowed that (thank goodness).

Yeah...why would you want to allow anything that useful into a sport that's supposed to be based on defensive handgun use?

There's nothing unsafe about it, and not being able to shoot from where I carry means that I, and a LOT of other folks will not do the whole IDPA thing-even though there are many appealing aspects.

I could see draws from appendix carry allowed if there was a requirment for a quarter turn or a clear area to the shooter's weak side for safety.

It would be problematic for both the shooter to not sweep himself, and for the SO to keep an eye on the muzzle during the draw.

Most appendix carry I've seen haven't had the muzzle tipped much more toward the rear than a typical "4 o'clock" carry.

Although my daily carry is appendix carry, I would NOT like to see it in competition. Too many people have trouble drawing from the hip never mind appendix. :wacko: .

As for cross draw, well I really like that but again, NOT in IDPA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMFM8SeW51E

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

It is easier to pack gauze into butt cheeks than nut sacks.

To close to the boys and the femoral

Ted

???

For some reason, when I hear 'appendix carry', I think a of a holster on the weak side of centerline, far enough over that the grip is concealed behind an open jacket (not quite crossdraw, but not far from it).

From your comment, it sounds like appendix carry is right behind the belt buckle.

Which is it?

Yeah...why would you want to allow anything that useful into a sport that's supposed to be based on defensive handgun use?

There's nothing unsafe about it, and not being able to shoot from where I carry means that I, and a LOT of other folks will not do the whole IDPA thing-even though there are many appealing aspects.

1) Because we don't want people dying on our watch.

2) Nothing unsafe? How about get on the trigger to early or have some finger issues during holstering and you're up shit creek.

3) Oh well. Bye.

Although my daily carry is appendix carry, I would NOT like to see it in competition. Too many people have trouble drawing from the hip never mind appendix. :wacko: .

out of town right now..but that shooter in this clip was an IPSIC shooter..any remember his name??

1) Because we don't want people dying on our watch.

2) Nothing unsafe? How about get on the trigger to early or have some finger issues during holstering and you're up shit creek.

3) Oh well. Bye.

If those are your reasons, you don't understand appendix carry. You allow big guys with love handles to carry strong side, yes? They are pointing the gun at their femorals, too--just has a little extra meat to go

through to get there.

Fingers can get in the way no matter where you carry if you dont pay attention...so you just pay attention. I think you'll find that folks are much more conscientious about reholstering when their junk is in the neighborhood.

An appendix draw also doesn't break the 180 or flag the shooter ever if done from a proper holster and the shooter isn't built like a weeble.

out of town right now..but that shooter in this clip was an IPSIC shooter..any remember his name??

Jim Zubiena

Jim Zubiena

Yup, If the info I found is correct, he is SASS shooter "The Singing Cowboy"

My question would be: Is there any science available with regards to the number of accidents by carry type?

It's the IDPA's ball, if they want to take it and go home, that's their choice. I'd just like to know if the IDPA decided [inert disallowed carry type here] carry was unsafe unilaterally or if the IDPA was shown, statistically, that it was less safe.