Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which X-Long FF Handguard? JP, Carbon Arms, Other?

I'm in the market for an X-Long FF Handguard - two, actually. The only two I've found that are 15" or longer are the JP and the Carbon Arms - are there any other X-Long FF Handguards out there that I'm not tracking??

The JP and Carbon Arms are about the same price, but the Carbon Arms is 12 or so ounces lighter. That said, I like the "solidness" of the JP and extra weight doesn't bother me that much.

I'm looking for advice / opinions on which FF handguard I should choose - please comment if you have experience with either or both.

Thanks,

Doug

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

Troy makes a 15" rail. They used to be called the TRX Extreme, but now they've unified their new line as the Alpha Rail.

I have teh TRX Extreme 15" on my rifle and really like it. It's a smaller diameter than the JP or Carbon Arms and the holes add some traction to it.

I have a jp currently and just purchased a carbon arms. I wanna get my gun lighter. Both hand guards are very nice. Jp does allow u to add accessory rails where needed. Just some thoughts.

Doug I've been able to mess with both plus the Troy. I'm a fan of the Troy...it has a smaller diameter so I can get my hand all the way around it.

The Carbon Arms one is ultra light, but I don't get enough traction on the system at all...I do like to take a much more "aggressive" grip than I've seen you take though, so it might be less of an issue for you.

The JP is too wide for my liking and traction is still lacking compared to the Troy (for me).

The Troy's cutout circles provide a really effective means of indexing and traction plus its extremely thin profile lets me get my hand in the aggressive posture I like. I like the full top rail too...not that it really matters for three gun, but sometimes my optic mount will ride a notch or so onto the rail to account for eye relief. If I'm not mistaken, it's significantly lighter than the JP as well.

I have a 15" Troy and 16.5"??? Carbon Arms currently if you have time to drive up and check em out.

Edited by GorillaTactical

Samson 15" evolution. My favorite.Decent price for all the options mentioned. Easy to instal on GI barrel nut. Very sturdy.

Samson is supporter of 3-gun as well.

Edited by Lead-Head

I have run troy larue and jp and now am using the Lancer carbon fiber one. Very lightweight durable and it has plenty if attachment spots if you need them. I have been running barricade supports and beating on them for awhile with no problems

Edited by 45shooter

Hogue now has an extended handguards. They are two piece affair with a vented portion near the reciever and the rubber Overmold at the end where you hold. With the right combination you can make them a few different lenths. The one in the pic is 18" from end to end which should work great on my 20" gun. This one at 18" is 17oz. If you use the carbine length vented portion it will be about 15" total.

post-2055-0-28718500-1333122842_thumb.jp

post-2055-0-10406700-1333122849_thumb.jp

I have the 15" on my lightweight build. While it feels Carbon Fiber slick going from nut to brake.... there seems to be a very textured, almost finely ribbed feel going from brake to nut. I've only had it a short while but it's definitely SUPER light (6oz) and was well within my budget.

The XXL and gargantuan might be newer options as I don't recall them being available back in February, but then I didn't need more than the 15" with my 16" barrel. ;)

post-36011-0-15829700-1333146852_thumb.j

Edited by v1911

Samson 15" evolution. My favorite.Decent price for all the options mentioned. Easy to instal on GI barrel nut. Very sturdy.

Samson is supporter of 3-gun as well.

This, all day.

My Samson Evo Handguards have done everything I have asked of them in every situation presented. Already this year I have mounted a light to it. Later this year my main 3G rifle will be getting a bipod, laser,and light for the Midnight match. It is versatile, lightweight and very sturdy.

Kalani

I ordered both a long JP and a long Carbon FF to try out. The Carbon X-Long actually moved the center of gravity on the gun back about 1/2" and the JP one made the front end heavier, although not too much. I'm going to run the Carbon long tube this year and see how it goes but I really like it so far. Only took a few minutes with the included sand paper to take a little off the inside of the attachment area and it fits perfect. Very solid. Mark told me not to drill on it but what the heck, it cuts pretty easy and I just make sure I don't get the particles airborne. Mounted a short rail up front for Superstition and the Crimson Trace night match.

Doug

Hogue now has an extended handguards. They are two piece affair with a vented portion near the reciever and the rubber Overmold at the end where you hold. With the right combination you can make them a few different lenths. The one in the pic is 18" from end to end which should work great on my 20" gun. This one at 18" is 17oz. If you use the carbine length vented portion it will be about 15" total.

Where can I find these Hogue's? I am not seeing them on their website.

I just purchased a 15 inch c/f rail with the 2 inch front sight rail from Lancer after seeing it at shot show. It feels about the same diameter as the JP Vtac, but has a greater CDI factor. It is a little longer than 16 inches when mounted, so it won't work on a 16 inch barrel. To be honest with you, I really prefer the 15 inch Troy TRX rail, I've been running on one of my other rifles. I feel like I can get a better hold of it. If you can, try to get a hold of a rail that your considering and see how it feel on a rifle, most people are happy to let you shoot their rifles after the matches.

Good Luck,

JG