Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 1X6.5 scope from Bushnell

kurtm

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My g/f just got her BTR-2/FFP yesterday. We haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but the initial impression is great. The sight picture is big at 1x, and the illuminated reticle in person looks bigger than Kurt's pictures showed. Can't wait to try it out!

OakHill Enterprises sells them from $1089

http://www.oakhillenterprises.com/ItemDetails/752212846/Bushnell_Elite_Tactical_1_6_5x24mm_SCOPE_NE.htm

I usually buy my STI's thru Jon @ OakHill Enterprise ... But I would contact him to get the BTR2

That link is for a BTR1. You need to pay 3% more if you use a credit card and the shipping is $25. So it is about $1089x1.03+$25=$1146 from Oakhill.

My BTR-2 SPF came in today. This optic cost me more than the rifle I'm using for 3 gun, but I think I'm going to like it!

Illumination settings are great. Between each setting is an OFF setting. I'm hoping for a range day this weekend.

My g/f just got her BTR-2/FFP yesterday. We haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but the initial impression is great. The sight picture is big at 1x, and the illuminated reticle in person looks bigger than Kurt's pictures showed. Can't wait to try it out!

I had a PM asking me about the size of the reticle at 1x for the FFP version. I have not measured it, but I think it is probably in the 4--6 MOA range from what I have seen so far. Anybody else with a FFP scope agree or disagree...?

the size of the reticle is the same whether its on 1x or 6.5x on the FFP version. thats the benefit of FFP scopes.

Naturally, I slapped myself in the forehead right after I posted that and turned off the computer... Of course that's the point of the FFP scope!

In the meanwhile, I was trying to eyeball it---literally---because we hadn't taken the scope out to the range yet, so I hadn't paid much attention to the reticle details and I am more used to MOA than Mildots anyway.

Anyway, the outer radius of the BTR-2 horseshoe seems to be 3mil, so 6mil across---which would be, I believe, 21.6in at 100yd or a little bit over 20MOA---significantly bigger than I thought, to be sure. We sighted in on an 8in Shoot'n'C at 50yd and the horseshoe circumscribed it nicely; that would be a 16MOA target, roughly, which sounds right for the inner diameter if the outer is 20MOA.

By way of comparison, the circle on a standard EOTech reticle is 65MOA, so the BTR-2 circle is just under a third of that.

I shall now go bang my head into the wall until I knock all the stupid out. :blink:

the size of the reticle is the same whether its on 1x or 6.5x on the FFP version. thats the benefit of FFP scopes.

Naturally, I slapped myself in the forehead right after I posted that and turned off the computer... Of course that's the point of the FFP scope!

In the meanwhile, I was trying to eyeball it---literally---because we hadn't taken the scope out to the range yet, so I hadn't paid much attention to the reticle details and I am more used to MOA than Mildots anyway.

Anyway, the outer radius of the BTR-2 horseshoe seems to be 3mil, so 6mil across---which would be, I believe, 21.6in at 100yd or a little bit over 20MOA---significantly bigger than I thought, to be sure. We sighted in on an 8in Shoot'n'C at 50yd and the horseshoe circumscribed it nicely; that would be a 16MOA target, roughly, which sounds right for the inner diameter if the outer is 20MOA.

By way of comparison, the circle on a standard EOTech reticle is 65MOA, so the BTR-2 circle is just under a third of that.

I shall now go bang my head into the wall until I knock all the stupid out. :blink:

This is confusing me a little. Any chance when you go to the range you could set out a uspsa paper target at 50 yards and take a pic with the scope on 1x power? Or anyone else? I would also love to see how bright the illumination is on a sunny day. This would kill 2 birds with one stone. I called Bushnell tech service line and they weren't any help. Thanks

I got a chance yesterday to look through one of the ffp ones. At 1x in bright daylight I could see the reticle but there wasn't much red... I want to look through an sfp one to see if it is brighter, benelli2 has one I just need to catch up with him.

This is confusing me a little. Any chance when you go to the range you could set out a uspsa paper target at 50 yards and take a pic with the scope on 1x power? Or anyone else? I would also love to see how bright the illumination is on a sunny day. This would kill 2 birds with one stone. I called Bushnell tech service line and they weren't any help. Thanks

Sorry, I probably won't get back out to the range for a while, so let me try once again to describe it.

The BTR-2 horseshoe will exactly cover an 8" circle (that's the -0 zone in an IDPA target) at 50yds. That means a USPSA target's head box will fit just inside the horseshoe at that distance.

The reticle is daylight bright. We were at the range on one of the clearest, sunniest days of the year yesterday. When I cranked it up to max brightness (setting 9) the red reticle was clearly visible against both black and white background targets. Also, the illumination has no bleed whatsoever; it is very crisp.

OakHill Enterprises sells them from $1089

http://www.oakhillenterprises.com/ItemDetails/752212846/Bushnell_Elite_Tactical_1_6_5x24mm_SCOPE_NE.htm

I usually buy my STI's thru Jon @ OakHill Enterprise ... But I would contact him to get the BTR2

That link is for a BTR1. You need to pay 3% more if you use a credit card and the shipping is $25. So it is about $1089x1.03+$25=$1146 from Oakhill.

I usually contact him and send him a check and he waves the 3% and shipping... Thats my plan ... I've done plenty of business thru him and he has a very feed back on gunbroker.com

Sorry, I probably won't get back out to the range for a while, so let me try once again to describe it.

The BTR-2 horseshoe will exactly cover an 8" circle (that's the -0 zone in an IDPA target) at 50yds. That means a USPSA target's head box will fit just inside the horseshoe at that distance.

The reticle is daylight bright. We were at the range on one of the clearest, sunniest days of the year yesterday. When I cranked it up to max brightness (setting 9) the red reticle was clearly visible against both black and white background targets. Also, the illumination has no bleed whatsoever; it is very crisp.

so the BTR-2 @ 1x magnification is 8" @ 50yrds or a 4" moa ???

Other way around---8" at 50yds is 16" at 100yds, or about 16MOA. (And that's the inside diameter of the horseshoe; the entire horseshoe is more like 20 MOA.) Put another way, the horseshoe will basically cover the body width of a standard USPSA target at 100yds.

And I am talking about the First Focal Plane scope, so that's 16MOA/20MOA regardless of magnification.

Other way around---8" at 50yds is 16" at 100yds, or about 16MOA. (And that's the inside diameter of the horseshoe; the entire horseshoe is more like 20 MOA.) Put another way, the horseshoe will basically cover the body width of a standard USPSA target at 100yds.

And I am talking about the First Focal Plane scope, so that's 16MOA/20MOA regardless of magnification.

I thought the reticle is suppose to get bigger when you zoom in; in a first focal plane scope ...

I shot a few rounds through a DPMS 308 over the weekend topped w/ this new Bushnell. Maybe this is typical performance from a scope, I don't know because I don't shoot optics often, but I can clearly see .30 cal bullet holes at 100 yards on brown paper w/ this scope set at 6.5x.

The mil adjustments are spot on. Zeroing this optic was easy just using the mil hash marks in the reticle to measure correction. (set on 6.5x of course because mine is a SFP)

I found illumination to be about equal, maybe slightly greater, than the Burris TAC30. In my opinion, the illumination is not as bright as an Aimpoint, but it also does not "bloom" when it's turned higher than necessary.

I thought the reticle is suppose to get bigger when you zoom in; in a first focal plane scope ...

It does. The reticle stays the same size in relation to the target which means that the reticle looks small to you on 1X and then gets bigger as you zoom in. Thus, the subtensions stay the same at any magnification level.

The picture on the first post of this thread shows that FFP setup, and that "dot" on 1X doesn't seem to be 16MOA.......

It does. The reticle stays the same size in relation to the target which means that the reticle looks small to you on 1X and then gets bigger as you zoom in. Thus, the subtensions stay the same at any magnification level.

The picture on the first post of this thread shows that FFP setup, and that "dot" on 1X doesn't seem to be 16MOA.......

Thats why I was asking @ 1x the dot didnt looked like a 16moa @ all

Thats why I was asking @ 1x the dot didnt looked like a 16moa @ all

Exactly, that is why I was confused and was hoping for a pic on 1x at a target at say 50 yards.