Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 1X6.5 scope from Bushnell

kurtm

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mine was waiting for me at home when I finally got there after SMM3G, it will be on my JP at LaRue in a few weeks, and like Gort said, if you want to try it out just ask.

You will have a tough time ranging or holding over and using the BDC with "any" FFP scope on 1x, and this one is no exception, however the circle is big enough and bright enough to be shot like a "big" dot. I'll get mine out to the range tomorrow and shoot it to see what the BDC drops actually are, and figure out if I want to run a 200yard zero at the center or just zero the first drop down for 300 and see where everything else hits. I cannot find any subtension info on the BTR1 reticle on the website and the scope doesn't come with any, probably because they were in a hurry to get them to us. So I'll get that data as well.

The NV setting is truly a plus since piggies must beware of Red Necks!!!

Trapr

Any update on the range report and how the BDC worked out for you? Thanks

I have been on the mad optic hunt for about 6 months now. For those that are using this optic which reticle do you prefer BTR-1 or BTR-2 and why?

That is going to depend on how familiar you are with mils. The bdc reticle does not do it for me. I would much rather have the mil hash markings. I know that my bullet drops x-mils at 475 yds. Hold over and fire.

Just my personal opinion. I also have a couple long range rifles that are based around mils so that is where my comfort zone is.

Thanks for the advice. I am somewhat new to .mils and I plan on getting some precision rifle training this year so that might a logical way to go.

Thanks again.

-EB

Edited by ernieb

• 2 weeks later...

BTR1 reticle first focal plane. What zero for dot then what are the hold overs? Book that came with scope did not have squat about the reticle.

Edited by DanL

Sorry for the delay in posting, its been a mess since I got back from SMM3G.

The BTR-1 reticle is made to run with m855 ammo which is a 62gr bullet at 3000-3100, by chance my load of choice for my AR is a 60gr nosler bt at 2950, so its pretty close.

The dot is a 1 moa dot with drops below from center being 4.5moa, 8min, 12moa and 16.75moa roughly!!!!! For me using a 250 yard zero top of the dot was 200ish, just below the bottom of the dot 300ish, halfway down the first drop 350, and first drop was 400. Halfway down second drop was 450 and the second drop was 480.(quite lucky considering the TXMG long target is supposed to be 480!!!!) I stopped checking distance at 480 as the wind started to pick up and 480 is plenty for now.

The clicks on the scope moved exactly the distance they are supposed to, I had to fine tune my 250 zero one click up and I got the 1 click just as advertised. On 1x the reticle is plenty bright for me on the 8 setting, in the midday sun in Texas, Just like the Meopta scopes the halfway indexes turn the illumination off so you don't need to turn the knob all the way back to zero. The reticle itself is big enough to see plainly without illumination on 1x as well, so if you forget to turn on, you can easily shoot without it.

I think the second focal plane scope will serve just as well as the first focal plane and some may prefer it to the first focal plane, because the reticle will remain larger for 1x use. On the higher powers at the distances we shoot at you don't give up anything substantial in order to hit targets. Lets face it we aren't making truly precision shots, and most matches are using RNT's suggestion of a 4moa target.

Bushnell has come out with a winner!!! I am glad to see a relatively simple reticle with a few trajectory drop marks that doesn't feel the need to clutter the fov with windage hashmarks and other unneeded distractions, and it utilizes a trajectory that is easy to replicate for the normal user or simply adapt to what ever they want by printing out a trajectory chart and plot your own trajectory.

Trapr

DanL if you want that info in mils I have it that way as well, they actually sent it to me in mils and I refigured it to moa, as I am much more familiar with it that way.

Edited by bigbrowndog

Thanks for the info Trapr ,MOA works for me. Using 75 gr steel match but that should let me get it figured out till I get time to get to the places I have to shoot distance past 200.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I took mine out and played with it some. Like it.

Love the reticule. BTR1. For me it is just the ticket without all the clutter. Power is good. Now the bad. It is my first and only FFP scope and I'm personally not shining onto it. My loss, someone elses gain. When I get enough posts to list it in the classifieds. That being said I will get another, just SFP

With all this BTR 1 or BRT 2 reticle, FFP OR SFP stuff in getting me confused. My question is for all around 3 gun shooting which one would be better FFP or SFP .I have been holding out for the new Leupold mark 6 but these are in stock now,i just dont know which one to order,

thanks

I have looked at this optic at SHOT, NRA, and looked at Traprs at Texas Multigun. Both the FFP and SFP models.

I ordered the SFP version. With the FFP, I didn't like how small the reticle became at 1x. The SFP and FFP scopes are the same at 6x, but since most of our shooting in this sport is done under 50 yards, I think I will prefer the larger reticle of the SFP for most of the targets throughout the course of a match.

As far as the stadia being off on the SFP when it's not at 6.5x, I don't anticipate needing to hold anything but dead on target when the scope is set at anything less than 6.5x.

Edited by Bryan 45

I agree with what Bryan just said. I waffled on this before buying and just am having a hard time getting used to the FFP. That said there is a a-- for every seat and someone else might think it is the cat's a-- . You never know till you try. I 'm going to replace wth the same one in SFP if that helps. Possiblely even see if I can send it back to be converted to SFP.

I could not find anyone that had what I wanted in stock. Soooo, I priced around and found the best price at Graph and Sons. I placed the order for the SPF BTR-2 reticle. They were not able to give any idea of a delivery date,but no one else could either. I will hope for the best. I have the new SWFA 1X6 on back order as well. It only comes in FFP, so not sure how well that will work. Hopefully I will get the Bushnell in first then decide on the SWFA order.

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to decide on this scope or the swfa 1-6. It seems most people like the SFP better. It seems to me that the reticle shrinking to just a red dot would be what you would want on close targets so the rest of the mil reticle won't clutter your view. For longer targets, switch to higher power and you get the mil lines that you need for holds. Can anyone explain why the SFP is better? Does anyone us any other hold points other than dead center when shooting close range targets? Or is it that the "dot" that the reticle becomes at 1x is just too small?

Kalani,

how does this scope compare to your Swaro?

I'm looking to complement the Swaro I already have with this or maybe the new leupold 1-6 on my other rifle...

Mick

quote name='KalaniLaker' timestamp='1333381736' post='1674144']

I got to look through Jeremy's FFP with mil hash reticle this weekend. Holy cow this scope is sick! Got to get my hands on one.

Kalani

I definitely like this but I dont understand the first focal point and second focal point ... I'm new to scopes and trying to soak up as much as I can ...

It's focal Plane, not Point. First Focal Plane scopes have the reticle scaling with the level of optical power. For example, when you are at 1x on some FFP scopes, the reticle details are lost (often by design) so you are left with a small-ish dot. Then you crank up the zoom and the reticle grows in apparent size, just like the target. The reticle markings are always scaling with the image so they are always correct without any magnification factor correction. Need to hold "over" 3 MOA for a particular range target? Fine, you always can hold over on the 3 MOA mark regardless of magnification. Second Focal Plane scopes (like my Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x) reticles are only 'correct' at one level of magnification. I believe the maximum magnification is the usual standard; it's how my PST works. So the markings on my reticle are only correctly scaled for the scope at 10x. But I can use corrections in my head for other simple magnifications like 5x (each mark is actually double in value), 3.3x (each reticle mark is triple in value), or 2.5x (where each mark is 4 times the value shown on the reticle in the scope view).

I don't have a body of experience with FFP or SFP scopes. SImilarly I don't have any experience with MIL/MRAD or MOA. So I got a SFP scope in MOA markings. If I were to get a Bushnell 1-6.5x, honestly, I think I would get it in FFP with the MIL reticle (BTR-2, I think it is called?). I did SFP on the 2.5-10x because it met my price point and I could get in in time for next weekend's Tarheel 3-Gun Challenge.

I hope this is helpful to some extent.

-- Mike

Edited by michael1778