Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited 10 off the shelf

I have a Springfield Champion that I bought for a carry gun. I was interested in USPSA shooting and thought that this gun would work well for that too. After going to a match I noticed that nobody was using a 1911 in this short of a barrel. This was my first match and I noticed that I didn't place very high( I expected that) but I was also questioning my choice of equipment. I did only bring along two 10 round magazines and one seven(that is something that will be changed for the next time).I guess what I am asking is , 90+ percent of you know alot more than I do about this, and what would be your choice for an "off the shelf Limited 10 gun?" I have had zero problems with my Springfield and I am very comfotable staying with this brand.

Any comments will be appreciated.

I would vote for you sticking with the Champion for a couple of months, it wont hold you back, and you'll learn how to reload. Get a simth and alexander mag well, and 6 wilson ten round mags for your shooting enjoyment. When you got to matches ask to shoot other peoples guns to find what you might like, and ovoid waisting money.

Guest Larry Cazes

I agree with Dave. Stick with the SA champion and work towards refining your technique first. You will probably get the urge for a limited or open setup eventually and you would do best not to spend a pile up front until you have enough experience to know what you want. Sounds like the gun is reliable and that is extremely important in this game.......

Actually, a Champion can actually be a really good gun for Limited 10. The short slide cycles faster than a five inch gun, so even though you have less mass at the end, you still get less muzzle flip. Target to target transitions with short guns are faster ... the only downside is a shorter sight radius, but that's not that big of a deal.

If I ever get my Commander out of the shop, I'm going to shoot it in Limited 10.

Congrats Dave! Yeah!!!!!!!!!

But seriously, Gear Head, at the begining, just going to a match regardless of place of finnish, is the important part. Get comfortable with all the safety procedures and range commands. An like Dave said, look at and ask to shoot a lot of differnet guns including open guns.

Well, I think I'll hold off on buying a new gun for now. I'll go shoot some more matches and see what I come up with. I guess it does kinda make sense not to run out and buy a new gun after one match. Thanks guys.

Just get a couple more 10 round mags and enjoy.

You are not handicapped that bad with a short gun and the thing you need most now is practice. Any practice you do with your short singlestack gun will pay big dividends down the road, and you can run with the best on short range -30yd. stages.

Shoot lots of different guns as my bet is you will want to go to an Open gun or at least a SVI/STI Limited gun in the near future. I wnt from L10 to Limited, now I wish I would have gone straight to Open.

Just get a couple more 10 round mags and enjoy.

You are not handicapped that bad with a short gun and the thing you need most now is practice. Any practice you do with your short singlestack gun will pay big dividends down the road, and you can run with the best on short range -30yd. stages.

Shoot lots of different guns as my bet is you will want to go to an Open gun or at least a SVI/STI Limited gun in the near future. I wnt from L10 to Limited, now I wish I would have gone straight to Open.

:blink: same here matt.. im now thinking about selling my limited and go staright to open :blink:

I'm a newbie, but I'd say stick with the Champion for now as well.

I started with a Springfield Mil-Spec in .38 Super. Only scored "minor", but not a huge deal as a beginner.

Then I found a Springfield "Loaded" stainless in .40 S&W for $499 and used "Limited 10" as an excuse to buy it.

I've only shot a few matches, and I'm still near the bottom (I just try not to be dead-last) but I sure don't blame the equipment.

Guides-1.jpg

I think I'll spend some money on a magwell and some reloading equipment. How much will it cost to get started reloading? I need to be able to reload .45ACP, .357 Mag and .300 Win Mag. Which of the Dillons can do these calibers?

Thank again for all the feedback.

Gear Head.............Good call on the reloading equipment........great advice here about sticking with your current gun for now..........Just wait till you get hooked.........Then try every gun out there....one thing I've learned about USPSA shooters...........They will let you shoot whatever they have and then some. They will share equipment, ammo, ain't no secrets between us shooters.

I spent close to $1000 to get set up with a basic reloading rig. I bought a 550 from Brian, along with a tumbler and media separator (Midway), digital scale and electronic calipers, a small bench to mount the press on, a couple of reloading manuals, primers, brass, and bullets to load a couple thousand rounds.

Don't mess with a beam scale, or hard to read vernier calipers...your time is worth more than the money you'd save by buying old school equipment. And the digital scale will also measure in grams (as well as grains), so it will be good if you ever decide to run a meth lab in your house, too.

Also asked for a Pact Mk IV timer/chron for Christmas, and got it. A chrony is a great tool for a reloader, and the chrony+timer in one unit is a bargain.

That stuff should be enough to load good pistol ammo. As far as loading for .300 WM, you may need some more case preparation equipment or measuring tools to get really precise ammo.

Anyway, Brian is the guy to see for Dillon products. Midway (www.midwayusa.com) is a good source for inexpensive tools, manuals, etc. Go get a 550, some WST powder, bullets of your choice, some once fired brass, and WLPs, and get to the shooting!

DogmaDog

I came up with $798.77 for a grand total. Waht else would I need other than brass, primers, powder and bullets?

BE550 550B - As it Should BE - be.com Upgrade @ $ 96.39

$ 96.39

21045 CM-500 Media Separator @ $ 34.19

$ 34.19

21027 CV-500 Vibratory Case Cleaner @ $ 89.29

$ 89.29

20056 2 Sm & 2 Lg Primer Pickup tubes @ $ 12.29

$ 12.29

15166 Dillon 45 acp stainless case gage @ $ 8.49

$ 8.49

16306 Low Powder sensor @ $ 34.95

$ 34.95