Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who would you purchase a custom Shadow from

JoseyWalesX

Would love to handle an Akai Shadow. Have heard so many good things about Shay's work.

also just a note. CZ Custom has two levels of trigger work. So when comparing the CZC trigger double check what level trigger job it is.

Shay can do triggers, it doesn't matter if its and s_i, cz or kel-tec(I am sure he could do the trigger on those to!) Shay does awesome work!!! he will be at Mississippi Classic this weekend, and I am sure he will have one to show off.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Christmas Eve of 2006 I received a custom SP-01 Shadow from Matt Mink and it was the most amazing pistol I have ever shot. Sadly I fell on hard financial times a year later and was forced to sell it.

While I love my 75B that I am tuning myself now, it still makes me :sick: to think someone else is groping my baby.

Timely thread for me, as I really want a CZ SP-01 Shadow.

It's a little confusing, so correct me if I'm wrong. It seems like there's only a couple of ways to go about doing it--

1) Buy a 'stock/factory' Shadow from CZ Custom ($880). (Is this the only place to get a SP-01 Shadow, besides the odd one that turns up on Gunbroker?)

------a) Send the pistol to Matt Mink ($250) or EERW/Stuart (price unknown) for a competition hammer and trigger job and other upgrades.

------b ) buy a competition hammer from (CZ Customs - $69) or Cajun Gun Works ($69-125) and tune the trigger yourself. Plus change some springs too, I would imagine.

2) Buy a Custom Shadow from CZ Custom ($1200) Heavily upgraded. Be sure to get the "competition" trigger job.

3) Buy a tuned/upgraded Shadow from Akai ($1200) Heavily upgraded

4) Buy a tuned/upgraded Shadow from Matthew Mink (price/specs unknown)

5) Wait for a used one to turn up in the classifieds or Gunbroker.

What did I miss or get wrong?

Shay can do triggers, it doesn't matter if its and s_i, cz or kel-tec(I am sure he could do the trigger on those to!) Shay does awesome work!!! he will be at Mississippi Classic this weekend, and I am sure he will have one to show off.

Akai is a sponsor at the VA/MD Sectional this weekend. This is my first major match so I'm not sure how many vendors/sponsors show up, but I was hoping that meant there would be an Akai representative there with one of Shay's Shadows. I'd like to handle one.

Edited by Leozinho

You can buy a SP01 Shadow from CZC and before it leaves I can do the action work is another option

The above seems like the best of all worlds combined, IMHO!!!

I noticed the location change in your Avatar box and was hoping you were doing something with CZ Custom now. Congrats to both of you. :cheers: One more reason to love living in AZ. If I am wrong, my apologies.

Ran my CZ last night from Stuart - and I have to say - I almost couldn't tell the DA was actually DA - this thing is AWESOME Stuart - oh and his turn around is MEGA FAST - STUART IS YOUR GUY!!!!!

I felt the trigger on this beast last night. It's awesome. I would go for Stuart or Mink for any Shadow work, period.

Timely thread for me, as I really want a CZ SP-01 Shadow.

It's a little confusing, so correct me if I'm wrong. It seems like there's only a couple of ways to go about doing it--

1) Buy a 'stock/factory' Shadow from CZ Custom ($880). (Is this the only place to get a SP-01 Shadow, besides the odd one that turns up on Gunbroker?)

------a) Send the pistol to Matt Mink ($250) or EERW/Stuart (price unknown) for a competition hammer and trigger job and other upgrades.

------b ) buy a competition hammer from (CZ Customs - $69) or Cajun Gun Works ($69-125) and tune the trigger yourself. Plus change some springs too, I would imagine.

2) Buy a Custom Shadow from CZ Custom ($1200) Heavily upgraded. Be sure to get the "competition" trigger job.

3) Buy a tuned/upgraded Shadow from Akai ($1200) Heavily upgraded

4) Buy a tuned/upgraded Shadow from Matthew Mink (price/specs unknown)

5) Wait for a used one to turn up in the classifieds or Gunbroker.

What did I miss or get wrong?

Akai is a sponsor at the VA/MD Sectional this weekend. This is my first major match so I'm not sure how many vendors/sponsors show up, but I was hoping that meant there would be an Akai representative there with one of Shay's Shadows. I'd like to handle one.

I have been lusting for a SP-01 Shadow also. One thing that's keeping me from buying one is the CTS LS-P. All the manufacturers have come out with their Ultimate Production gun. Sig X5, S&W Pro, Glock 34 and Springfield's XDM 5.25 all with longer barrels. Some lighten the slide. I wish the LS-P had a longer dust cover, like the Combat II, and took the weight out of the slide so they could make weight for IDPA. They might still have time because on their website they say they don't yet have the parts to start building them.

Edited by z40acp

Couple things on the CZ Custom shop guns.

All the guns come out with a standard action job with the comp hammer. It takes the DA to about 8# DA and 3.5#-4#SA. Also offered is a competiton level trigger job which will drop those numbers. On the custom shadows ( SP01 and 75 ) you are getting action job with comp hammer, 85C trigger, CZC FO front sight, CZC comp rear sight, aluminum thin grips.

Edited by eerw

Couple things on the CZ Custom shop guns.

All the guns come out with a standard action job with the comp hammer. It takes the DA to about 8# DA and 3.5#-4#SA. Also offered is a competiton level trigger job which will drop those numbers. On the custom shadows ( SP01 and 75 ) you are getting action job with comp hammer, 85C trigger, CZC FO front sight, CZC comp rear sight, aluminum thin grips.

How much is the competition level trigger job?

I just picked up a used (800rds) SP-01 Shadow Target model last night. Never even touched one until I picked mine up from my FFL. First reaction.. "Whoa...this thing is HEAVY."

It came with the sheet stating the trigger pull in SA(3lb 11oz) and DA(8lb) so I assume it's the standard action job. I'll shoot it a while like it is before changing anything though as it just feels really good. Swapped the stock cocobola grips for the thinner V2 diamond tiger stripe G10 ones fairly quickly and like the thinner feel.

Can't wait to shoot it... :)

post-39947-0-04373200-1337715303_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

You can buy a SP01 Shadow from CZC and before it leaves I can do the action work is another option

This is exactly what I did. I bought one from CZ Custom and had Stuart change the hammer and do an action job. I'm extremely pleased with the trigger. After shooting Berettas and Sigs, I had no idea a double action could be so smooth and so light. (The SA is sweet, too.) :cheers:

I let a few folks that know CZ's play with the trigger and all were very impressed.

comp trigger job is an additional $100.

not sure on cost on a gun coming back to the shop.

as this considering the gunsmiths are already in the gun.

Is the "competition trigger job" really needed?

I build my own and have done a few for friends; actually repaired a few CZ Custom pistols which the safety did not function on. Too much material removed when they installed the comp hammer, throat job, knocked down the edges of the ramp so the edge of the case didn't bite, hang, skip, off it.

FYI: if you install the 13 lb or lighter main spring; use the extended firing pin and you should not have any issues with any primers being too hard.

CZ is actually one of the most simple pistols to customize if you have an eye for detail and some good mechanical aptitude.

Is the "competition trigger job" really needed?

"Needed"? Absolutely not.

I have a CZ Custom gun with the standard custom job set up, and a Mink gun with his competition set up. Both with 11lb recoils and 13lb mains, and both have similar round counts (12k and 15k).

While the Mink gun has a slightly smoother DA pull, the single action is almost too light when it breaks, imo. If I buy another CZC gun, it won't have the extra competition trigger job (unless Angus comes out with that short reset trigger... then they'll both get sent in for that update!!!)

I'm decent enough with the DA shots that I don't feel the need to search for an even lighter pull.

I just picked up a gun from Stuart as well and I couldn't be more happy. With the competition trigger job out of the box I am at 6 lb double action and 2 lb 6 oz single. I believe I could swap out springs to lower that even more but I really like the pull and reset as is. The thing just wants to shoot. Coming from my splits with a Glock my jaw hit the floor of the range when I did my first Bill drill.

I went to the range with a few friends from work. While there were plenty of choices in handguns to shoot there was one obvious favorite and there was always a line waiting to take the CZ for a spin.

We put about 400 rounds of Winchester White Box through it with zero issues. As for accuracy I was sighting in at 7 yards using a square of target tape and hitting with relative ease.

The whole experience is getting me excited about the sport again and I am really looking forward to the first match.

Thanks again Stuart!

I got my 75 Shadow from CZ Custom and not long after that had Stuart work on my trigger. It is awesome. So, if you buy from CZ Custom, get Stuart to work on your trigger before it leaves there. You will not be disappointed.

Ran my CZ last night from Stuart - and I have to say - I almost couldn't tell the DA was actually DA - this thing is AWESOME Stuart - oh and his turn around is MEGA FAST - STUART IS YOUR GUY!!!!!

I felt the trigger on this beast last night. It's awesome. I would go for Stuart or Mink for any Shadow work, period.

+1

I have a CZ Custom gun with the standard custom job set up, and a Mink gun with his competition set up. Both with 11lb recoils and 13lb mains, and both have similar round counts (12k and 15k).

While the Mink gun has a slightly smoother DA pull, the single action is almost too light when it breaks, imo. If I buy another CZC gun, it won't have the extra competition trigger job (unless Angus comes out with that short reset trigger... then they'll both get sent in for that update!!!)

I'm decent enough with the DA shots that I don't feel the need to search for an even lighter pull.

ETA <_< looks like I chopped too much of the original post, sorry facelessman:blush:

I have been hoping and waiting far to patiently for a CZ Custom short reset trigger. Angus, Rob, Russel, Stuart, Zoe, anybody? Please make it happen!!!!!!!!!

Edited by carbon9

I just ordered one from Mink on Friday. I was able to shoot a few rounds through his gun a couple of months ago. I had been debating about getting one and finally ordered it. Can't wait to get it!

I just ordered one from Mink on Friday. I was able to shoot a few rounds through his gun a couple of months ago. I had been debating about getting one and finally ordered it. Can't wait to get it!

It will be great. Have seen a few of Matt's pieces and have competed with a couple. Great guns.

Edited by eerw