Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Worlds Cheapest NRA AP Pistol

gm iprod

Well it's done.

Made from the following. Some corrections from earlier posts as the gunsmith returned all the bags of goodies I sent him.

Norinco 1911 9mm, only frame slide, trigger, mainspring housing and grips remain from original firearm. Donated by mad Australian.

Kart 6" 9mm Barrel

Shroud off old Para AP Pistol retired in 2003. Turns out I still have the spare I bought off Bruce Piatt at home.

Stick Shift.

Comp from Karl Piper - return of favour.

Aimpoint off old IPSC gun. Still cost a few bucks way back when it was new.

Firing pin, Hammer, Hammer Strut, disconnector and Sear from prizes at 2009 and 2010 Bianchi Cup.

Caspian Ambi Safety and Pin Set $80 I think??

EGW Slide Stop, already owned that from some time back. $30 maybe.

Grip Safety McCormick, $35

2 magazines donated by one person and anotehr 2 from who knows where. I will have to actually buy 4 more.

As far as I can ascertain this maybe sets me back about $1400 US as you see it.

Shoots as per attached picture, 5 rounds including the hand cycled shot. Factory Federal American Eagle 124gr. I was sat behind a bench and rested the bottom of the gun on a flat piece of carpet. 25M (27.5yards)

New K&N Grips will not quite fit on as yet, so I will have to adjust the ambi and the grips later this week.

post-789-0-73689400-1332305156_thumb.jpg

post-789-0-74833100-1332305174_thumb.jpg

Edited by gm iprod

The single stack elitist club should beat this man with a recoil spring for measuring his group size in centimeters. bonus that the ruler doesn't even HAVE inches!!

Still pretty impressive to see it shoot a 5 shot group that tight.

Edited by twodownzero

Actually for the life of us we could not find a rule in inches.

That must have something to do with the name on the ruler? What the hell is ProPump anyway? ...sounds like that ruler came out of a "male enhancement" kit. (which might explain the centimeters)

roflol.gif

Whose shroud is that ? Is that a lightened up Gilmore, or one of the one's made in your neck of the woods ?

Very nice 5 shot group.. Don't you think Kevin ? Looks like he's down 10 points though.. :roflol:

Edited by DWFAN

Actually for the life of us we could not find a rule in inches.

That must have something to do with the name on the ruler? What the hell is ProPump anyway? ...sounds like that ruler came out of a "male enhancement" kit. (which might explain the centimeters)

roflol.gif

I almost spit out my coffee. Nice looking gun. Good luck at Bianchi.

I might have you beat.

Am building a 9mm Open gun for Louis (LittleFFL) and the only thing we haven't won or been given is the frame from a Armscor 45 that was Tammy's carry gun.

listed below is the costs

frame, and most internals from Armscor 500.00? I think

Slide (From sponsor)

Barrel (From Sponsor)

Comp from Karl Piper

Mags Purchased from Brownell's 8 @ 16.00 each

Mover Base (prize Bianchi Cup)

Base Pad (From Sponsor)

Dot (Prize IRC)

Shroud w/wings (Made by Us)

total = $620.00

Don't know how it shoots yet as we are still building and fitting it. Will post pics when completed

Edited by ffl

ProPump? who knows, found in desk at work. But yes, 203mm sounds way bigger than 8" :devil:

Shroud is a Hilver made Koenig style shroud. Wings are custom built in 1999, by the guy who put the shroud on my Para way back when.

Your right that group would cost you $20 at the Cup to get all the bullets scored correctly.

I am bringing it up as a back up. Plus to show Grant Jeavons what a relaible 9mm AP gun looks like.

Got the grips at work today. Will modify if I get time and fit them tonight. Another match in about a week. May run it then and see how it all goes.

Hopefully with 115gr Zero Conicals I can make that group a little smaller.

Plus to show Grant Jeavons what a relaible 9mm AP gun looks like.

You MEAN Grant is still persisting with trying to run a 9mm ? I remember back in the late 80's in NZ, he was always trying to work up a consistant load for his then 9mm gun, but always had some little problem.

Nice gun.

Cheers ....

Kevin.

Whose shroud is that ? Is that a lightened up Gilmore, or one of the one's made in your neck of the woods ?

Very nice 5 shot group.. Don't you think Kevin ? Looks like he's down 10 points though.. :roflol:

He's still got another .7" to go. My Ron Power revolver will do 1.2" Not bad for a parts gun.

Richard is just trying to stir up the pot with the crack about Grant's gun. The only disadvantage Grant has now has to do with him being a southpaw. The gun runs fine but the thumb gets in the way now and then. The empty cases tend to hit his thumb and bounce back into the ejection port.

Notice he is using the gun as a backup. Even he knows the 9 is not as reliable in the 1911.

Having owned and got rid of two 1911 in 9mm (one Colt one Springfield), you think I would have quit while I was behind. BUT I have just traded a Kimber in 9mm at the shop??? :devil::ph34r:

The Colt I was really glad to see the back of, that was a card carrying piece of turd, the Springfield was an old factory enhanced model? Stainless Steel and it shot really nice, but I needed the money for something 40cal and quiet.

I understand why Kevin is wary of 1911 and the 9mm cartridge, and he is pretty much right about why they do not work so good. Magazines are the biggest issue as far as I am concerned. I have some Kimber ones at the shop that work fine. I specifically wanted it in 9mm, the idea is that if we get a new member at the club they don't have to buy expensive 38Super ammo to shoot an open gun, the club wont / can't spring for one so I did it myself. This way they can buy over the counter ammo and use the gun. I don't trust too many people with home loads and I am not making ammo for others. So when we get someone at the club who wants to try AP, they may only have a Production Gun, this can give them a taste of Open without busting the bank account. My gunsmith is well versed in the 9mm, but he was keen on chambering it in 38Super for me. I trust Robbies work, so far (fingers crossed) 200 rounds all Federal not a bobble.

This is actually the second resurrection job, the first one was intended to be for Cora and use a smaller grip than the Springfield (another rescue mission) she is currently using. I "found" a very unwell Tanfoglio Limited that some mutthead had decided he needed to use 9x21 for Major, he had made every conceivable modification that you can make to a Tanfoglio and not actually make it work. New barrel in that. Old shroud and mover from Grant, short comp and $500 in gunsmithing and it works. BUT, it needs 140pf to run. with the light weight of the gun, it pounded her hands, plus she now finds the smaller grips Ian made for her are just fine on the Springfield and she wants to keep that. JUST FRICKING TYPICAL.

So my Dad will be looking after that Tanfoglio, he has small hands and he finds that as he gets older the grip shape is better for his slightly arthritic hands. I like the Tanfoglio guns, as long as you stay within the parameters that they were designed for and not go stupid. My Chrome Limited small frame is 15years old, 20K rounds and the only thing I have broken was the trigger pivot pin, when I tried to adjust the trigger a little too far. No modifications from factory.

BTW one of the gun clubs I belong to has three Kimbers in 9mm and they all work magic on good ammo.

Whats wrong with the 9? ;)

I wont say anything to avoid jinxing it.. :D

Grants gun seemed fine Saturday, shot a match with them and picked up a load of bullets..

Guess which plate I missed..

The 48th. You gave up.

The 1st. :blink:

Guys….. Be nice :blush:

I seem to recall from way back then that I did OK and the results bulletins seem to back that up.

It is nice though to see that with some ingenuity and graft, building and accurate and reliable AP gun can be done on the cheap. That said, I will not divulge publically what mine or HelenJ’s blasters have cost in design and build over the years (worlds most expensive, possibly), what about you Richard, think the lady of the house would be interested? :sight:

Nine weeks to go until Bianchi, looking forward to seeing you all :goof:

9MM RULES!

GrantJ

Whats wrong with the 9? ;)

I wont say anything to avoid jinxing it.. :D

Grants gun seemed fine Saturday, shot a match with them and picked up a load of bullets..

Guess which plate I missed..

The 48th. You gave up.

The 1st. :blink:

Ah......Yes!!! The old "Leroy Plate!!!:roflol::cheers:

Group measured properly was 1.3555" outside to outside, therefore Centre to Centre is 1.0005" wooo hoooo! NOT quite sub 1 inch at 25M. How's that for mixing measurements.

Only close up can you see the double on the target, therefore I may have wasted my $20 at Bianchi. :sight:

Group measured properly was 1.3555" outside to outside, therefore Centre to Centre is 1.0005" wooo hoooo! NOT quite sub 1 inch at 25M. How's that for mixing measurements.

Only close up can you see the double on the target, therefore I may have wasted my $20 at Bianchi. :sight:

1.0005" at 25M, not good enough!:surprise: It needs to be better than that.:devil:

The thing probably is, but with me behind it, a 7MOA dot, factory ammo, no comp at the time and resting (more like balancing) a std grip on a chunk of carpet off a bench. I was quietly pleased with that.

In reality it will put everything well inside the X ring at 50Y, subject to the nut behind the butt doing his or her job. I have a couple more 4MOA Aimpoints in the gun room at home to try and see if that helps me any.

I am cooking up a few home loads with the 115gr and 125gr JHP Zero's this weekend for shooting in a week or two. Brave when you think about that. Found a spare barrel and another shroud at the shop, now where is that 5lb hammer and dremel.

Edited by gm iprod

As you should know, I'm just giving you a load of crap.

As long as it goes bang everytime it will do well for a beginner. Afterall, the only reason for a super accurate gun is to allow the shooter to make small mistakes and get away with them. By the time a beginner finds out how much fun we have and can out shoot the gun, they can sink more money in a better gun.

I wish I could have put my first A/P gun together for that price. By the time I figured most of this stuff out on my own, I had $4000 in it. My current guns aren't that much.

Hi guys,

something to be aware of... back in my Pin Shooting days, we used to come to the USA from Oz, and David built himself a Norinco Pin Gun, and he was unable to get it into the country due to an arms embargo with China. Not sure if it's still relevant, just thought I'd mention it..

Regards

Mark