Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone got a 650 as a very first press?

I ordered 650 as first press. Back order was 8 weeks so I bought lee classic turret because of itch. I thought I would keep lee for other calibers. Well. When I finally got 650 I soon realized that I won't use lee even if I have to change caliber for 100 rounds runs. Lee sold, I bought case feeder and very happy. Wasn't hard for me to learn at all...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the 650XL was my very first reloading press. i had a good idea about how it should be settled . when i got it i was a bit lost on the required adjustment apart the press installation itself ( bolted on a solid bench ,bench solidly bolted on the floor) . then, what i did has been the best move to get me started : went to BE's forum and asked some troubleshooting questions which got me started up in a blink.

honestly the blue press is very easy to work with.

I also got a 650 as my first press. The idea of getting a "starter" press to avoid some learning curve just didn't make any sense to me. It took me a while to get dependable ammo, but that turned out to be because the Dillon resizing die for 9mm simply doesn't resize far down enough, and it took me a little while to figure out that was the issue and switch to a Lee die.

Thankfully, I had a friend with a few years of reloading with other presses under his belt, so he was helpful in a baseline of specs to use and what not. I knew that I'd be going through a few thousand rounds of 9mm a month, so IMO, my only choices were the 650 or the 1050, willing to accept a little bit of more learning overhead up front.

• 1 month later...

I started with 9mm on my Dad's old RCBS JR single stage, loaded a few hundred rounds and then ordered up a bells and whistles 650. Got everything set up pretty quick and started producing perfect ammo. I watched a couple of youtube videos, read a bunch on reloading forums and it was easy peasy. Never got the Dillon DVD though.

I am pretty damn good as far as mechanical aptitude goes so YMMV if you never really turn wrenches or are not a "garage/home improvement" kinda guy. :devil:

As long as you have mechanical ability and possess the ability to learn; starting with a 650 is fine. Of course if don't possess any of the traits I recommend you don't reload at all.

The idea "having" to start with a single stage, turret press or 550 is silly to me. With youtube.com and forums these days you don't even need to "know somebody" who reloads to jump right in at the 650 progressive level.

I recommend everybody starts with a Super 1050... if they have any problems they can send the press to me and I'll send them a brand new single stage press. :ph34r:

Looking at your location, I find it hard to believe nobody in Mesa AZ has a 650. If you can't find somebody, I'll be glad to give you a hand.

Thanks, all.

Being a noob in the sport, I don't know really know anyone in my area who can show me, it seems I will have to learn on my own.

Hey, it's ok, I taught myself software engineering and now make a good living doing it... I guess I can learn on my own. I am stubborn.

I have looked at both the 550 and the 650... I am not only interested in shooting 9mm but also 357... I love revolvers. And I also love shooting bullseye (I think there is nothing better to learn trigger control), my dream is to get a good used 45 set up for BE, I may also eventually load that caliber and you know how BE shooters like to experiment with their ammo.

My first and only press is a 650. Its the only one i have ever used, or seen in action. Set up was pretty easy. I am also lucky to have a friend with a 650 and lots of experience so i can ask questions. Took a bit to get confident with it. I was pumping out about 40 rounds an hour at first because i kept checking every step, weighing powder, measuring, etc. once i got everything dialed in it really holds all the settings. I can easily bang out 500 an hour at a nice relaxing rate. Even more if i push it. I usually dont because i actually like reloading so i keep a good pace and enjoy the process.

• 1 year later...

Hello, yes the Dillon 650 is my first press, I had previous experience using a borrowed RCBS single stage. The appeal of 1 pull 1 shell was the main reason, my job as a maintenance technician provided

me mechanical experience, and following the included instructions took care of the rest. I could not be happier about the quality and performance of this press.

Its my first press too. Never reloaded, got a case stuck the first time I tried to resize (not enough lube). still dialing it in, but the rounds chamber, fire etc.

A few people said I was picking the most difficult reloads, rifle rounds with cast bullets as my first reloads..

Im still in the mode where Im checking everything so Im only loading 10 rounds and then go do something else. The actual 10 rounds only takes a minute or so, but doing measurements, weights etc makes the whole process take a lot longer.

Learning how to run the press as a turret press helps.

Keep the case feeder from dropping cases by putting a pen in it

Keep the primer feeder from feeding primers by removing the cam

I used to put in a case or pen to stop the feeder from dropping the case but then I saw that this applied some pressure against the cam. I decided to unscrew the ramp and its just 1 bolt and then you can operate the press as you like.