Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm will not chamber! ?

Hammertime

I am trying to reload 9mm on my RL1050. I am using Lee sizing and decapping die, Lee bullet seater, and a Lee factory crimp die. I currently do not have a case gauge so I am using my barrel for the gauge. When I deprime and size the brass it will fit in the chamber of the pistol. But when I seat the bullet and crimp the bullet it will not seat in the chamber. It goes all but the last couple thousands of a inch. Any help? this is all range pick up brass. I have reload over 20,000 38 super rounds and almost that many 45's. Just reloaded 3000 .40 cal. with out a hic-up and never had this issue. What is up with this 9mm crap?

Barrel of what gun? If your gun is a CZ, the rifling is a lot closer to the chamber of the gun, so you'll need to shorten your OAL. I'm not sure, but I think the same is true for the Beretta 92FS, as well. It's been ages since I owned one and reloaded ammo for it.

I was loading for a friends P9 on my 1050. I had the same problem that you are having. I finally determined that it was the crimp. I had the crimp die set too low and it was bulging the base of the case. I backed off the crimp die and from then on, all the rounds were fine.

Barrel is out of a 40XD. OAL is 1.120 Oal should not be to long. It is at the base that it will not fit. Seems that the seating of the bullet make a bulge at the base.

I can't imagine how seating a bullet can bulge the base unless you are seating at worp speed and it sends a shock wave down the length of the case. If you think the base is bulging can you measure before and after bullet seating?

Like the other guys said it sounds like OAL needs shortening. Where did 1.120" come from? I use 1.075" because at 1.085" the bullet is touching the rifling (in my SL barrel with my BB 124gn FNHB bullet).

The barrel is out of a .40cal XD, but you're loading 9mm? What!? XD's are known to need shorter OAL to work.

+1

Or he maybe like those guys in New Jersey who are mixing and matching 9mm and .40 mags for their Glocks to get around state capacity issues. (I can't find the thread right now.) If mixing and matching mags works for them, why not barrels? :lol:

I am trying to reload 9mm on my RL1050. I am using Lee sizing and decapping die, Lee bullet seater, and a Lee factory crimp die. I currently do not have a case gauge so I am using my barrel for the gauge. When I deprime and size the brass it will fit in the chamber of the pistol. What is up with this 9mm crap?

Try dillon dies! It is 9mm right?

Barrel is out of a 40XD.

Where did the 40XD come from if you are loading 9mm?

I have tried seating the bullet deeper OAL of 1.080 and still will not seat. Again seems to hit about 1/16th above the extractor groove. wihtout seating the bullet the case drops right in. Want dies are you guys using? I have tried Lee and both RCBS nothing works. Also switched dies from 1050 to my 550 to see if that made any difference. Ands of course it did not. Stumped

More than likely the bullet your using is hitting the lands of the rifling. I had this problem with my Para LDA, Winchester White Box bullets would drop right in but the 125 gr Zero bullet wouldn't due to it having a different shape. To resolve the problem I had to use a chamber reamer to removes a small portion of the rifling.

Edited by niedlaw

Don't mix your problems - pull the barrel out of the gun and try resized empty cases - if they hang up your can GR them, buy roll sized, or use the Lee set up ( Basically the same as the GR die set up). After you get that problem solved, then load a few rounds and drop them into your barrel and see if the case head ends up flush with the barrel hood. If not, shorten a few and keep trying them until you get the proper length. I suggest the barrel instead of the case gauge as you want to shoot them in the gun and not the case gauge and they aren't always the same inside diameter.

Played with it alittle more this afternoon. I kept seating a litle deeper them a little deeper. Wholly crap with the Montana Gold 121's I had to seat it clear to the part where the bullet tapers is this normal. Seems like it is going to make acompreesed load.

That sounds extreme.

Load up a dummy and color the bullet with a sharpie. Drop it in the chamber of your barrel and twist. You should be able to see where it is touching IF that is indeed the problem

What is the oal on that 121 load you ended up with?