Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

$2k scopes leupold ert or nightforce nxs

gspfla

I have owned two NightForce scopes. I currently own a Premier, USO and Vortex. The only thing NF holds the edge on is ruggedness. Their glass and turret feel are just mediocre.

Vortex offers better glass and FFP at the same cost. I have shot behind the Bushnell and for a sub $1200 scope it is well worth a look.

The SWFA 5-20 is another option. Crisp glass, FFP and rugged. The only drawback is the thick reticle.

Edited by broke_again

I have owned two NightForce scopes. I currently own a Premier, USO and Vortex. The only thing NF holds the edge on is ruggedness. Their glass and turret feel are just mediocre.

Vortex offers better glass and FFP at the same cost. I have shot behind the Bushnell and for a sub $1200 scope it is well worth a look.

The SWFA 5-20 is another option. Crisp glass, FFP and rugged. The only drawback is the thick reticle.

The last thing I would call Nightforce glass is mediocre. Their glass is only second to Swarovski and S&B for clarity and their turrets are very positive.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I am not the only one to think that Nightforce is not even close to S&B, Premier, and Hensoldt

The last thing I would call Nightforce glass is mediocre. Their glass is only second to Swarovski and S&B for clarity adn their turrets are ver positive.

Pat

I am not the only one to think that Nightforce is not even close to S&B, Premier, and Hensoldt

The last thing I would call Nightforce glass is mediocre. Their glass is only second to Swarovski and S&B for clarity and their turrets are very positive.

Pat

So that does not mean either of you are correct. Besides we are comparing Nightforce to Vortex.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Guys and gals,

NF is a fine pieces of glass. Clear, repeatable, and durable. IMHO the only finer piece of glass out there that is superior in ALL those categories is Schmidt and Bender scopes....however....there is an appropriate increase in $ for that superiority.

As far as Swarovski goes...my experience is that it is clear, usually repeatable, but nowhere near as durable as S&B or Nightforce scopes.

If all you want it for is benchrest shooting then you can probably play around with other brands of scopes but remember...in the long run it is much better to buy once and cry once and it also winds up being more affordable to do it that way too.

Buying a "cheaper" scope and then finding out it will not do what you want it to do.... and THEN having to spend more $ to get what you should have gotten in the first place is much more heartbreaking, aggravating, and expensive than doing it right the first time.

That comes from my 20+ years behind the rifle as a LEO sniper as well as the philosophy of just about every LE sniper I know as well as the words of 2 of the country's top rifle smiths one of which I just spoke to (again) a couple weeks ago at his shop in Keene, New Hampshire.

Al Warner is THE armorer for the Palma team, makes the Warner sights that they use on their rifles and has made the rifles used by the top shooters in the annual NAPSS (North American Police Sniper Summit) for about the last ten years.

Al likes Leupold scopes...for hunting rifles but for competition rifles and for tactical rifles his opinion is that they sometimes suffer from repeatability issues. No such issues with S&B or Nightforce scopes.

I wanted an S&B scope. At the time I had my rifle built the one I wanted went for around $2000-$2400 . I was already into my rifle for a pretty penny but I believe in the opinion that "If you buy a five thousand dollar sniper rifle and put a three hundred dollar scope on it what do you have? A three hundred dollar sniper rifle." so I researched

and spoke to the experts and wound up with the Nightforce NXS 3.5-15X 50mm tube which cost me (at the time) around $1100 purchased through George Gardner at GA Precision.

IMHO Vortex isn't even in the same ballpark as N.F. scopes...but thats why Baskin and Robbins has all those flavors...so we can all get what we want. :)

JK

Having read that a while back and re-reading it again, it does not carry much weight with me as it is still very subjective in view.

Objective lab testing is where it is at using collimators, resolution testing equipment, light transmission testing equipment, and allowing for true durability testing.

There are rather objective tests that can be done in the field to test for the above; of which none were performed.

His terminology continuously confused me. He referenced Contrast as being completely different from Resolution which led me to believe he truly does not know what he is looking at. Resolution and Contrast go hand in hand. One cannot be identified without the other.

What were the resolution numbers? He referenced Resolution, but provided no data to support it. What could they resolve?

Like I said.....totally subjective.