Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

At what distance should I zero my pistol?

NicVerAZ

I usually go to the indoor range and put the target either at 30 or 35 ft.

This is the distance I use when adjusting my sight (a new rear sight is in the mail, by the way), as I believe most targets are about at that distance.

Is this right?

I know, newbie question... newbie forum :)

Thanks!

I zero at 25 yards. I also test at 7,15, and 50 yards though. You need good knowledge of where your rounds impact. When you show up to a match with some 50 yard standards, you'll be a lot less anxious if you're not guessing at holdover.

I zero at 25 yards. I also test at 7,15, and 50 yards though. You need good knowledge of where your rounds impact. When you show up to a match with some 50 yard standards, you'll be a lot less anxious if you're not guessing at holdover.

same here. It gives me confidence regardless of the ranges presented to me.

I do 20 yards. Up to 20 yards (with my iron sight guns) it will be very close- maybe a tad low at very close distances. Importantly though- for most shots in IDPA/USPSA this will allow me to aim exactly where I want with no hold over/under. Good to know what happens at further distances as well.... but I'll be honest.. I haven't tested at out to 50 yards in a while.

+3 or 4 or however many others agreed. I test alot at 10-15 as this is a more common distance for where I shoot, but to each is own.

Hhmmm... lots of good advice, but I think some more info is required.

1. What type of gun are you shooting? (i.e., 9mm, .38super, 45acp)

2. What game(s) are you shooting?

Generally speaking, 20 yards is good advice for your IPSC and IDPA types of games firing a 9mm-ish round. It's where I keep my G17 zeroed. However, I also shoot Custom Defensive Pistol in Steel Challenge, and I was once advised by a Steel Challenge legend to zero my 1911 .45acp for 30 yards. I did so and my game immediately improved. As it happens, that zero has served me well in other shooting sports as well as Steel Challenge, at least with my .45acp. The reason for this probably has something to do with the drop rate of the heavier .45acp round versus something like a 9mm that's traveling 200-300fps faster.

Just me thinking out loud...

I zeroed as well as I could, having no sand bag or rest, just using my gear bag and the table, then I shot at 20-yard, two-handed, as 60 ft:

6845604052_a2ea32a333_o.jpg

I swayed a bit left and right, concentrated on my trigger control, then slowly walked it up. I have been shooting pistols for a bit more than a year, doing my best :)

What I use is a GP6. No elevation setup, it's called "shooting higher".

My eyesight is good enough to allow me to see the holes I punch at 60 ft.

Would a laser be a good tool to help me do a better job at zeroing my pistol?

Thanks

My 2011 has a different POI when I shoot from a rest.

I always zero offhand.

YMMV

I used to have this problem, then my trigger control got better :sight:

I kid I kid :D

Edited by carlosa

+1 to zeroing off hand rather than from a rest, at least with the pistol.

But this does not seem practical past 20 yards?

I know some bullseye shooters can hit the X with some reliability at 25 yards using iron sights and one hand, but not only are they really good at what they do, it does not seem very practical to anyone past that distance?

It's possible, just takes practice. One of my favorite things to do at the range is to shoot golf balls between 15-30 yards (or however far I can hit them after they've stopped rolling) with my .22 pistol using iron sights. It's an excellent way of practicing your trigger control and sight alignment. But that's not my point...

My point is to zero your firearm in the manner you're most likely going to use it. Since you're most likely going to being firing your handgun from a standing two handed grip, then that's how you should zero it. The thing with zeroing a handgun from a rest is that it affects the way it recoils back, which can affect the zero. (More on that below.)

Also, it should be pointed out that "zeroing" the gun doesn't mean that you have to put five out of five shots through the same hole. The group above is good enough to see where your gun is zeroed.

As far as not being able to adjust your elevation, try a different weight of bullet. If memory serves, a heavier (slower) bullet will typically shoot higher because it's in the barrel a smidge longer, allowing the gun to drift up slightly under the recoil. (Might be an old wives tale, but it's worth trying). If all else fails, if you take a file to the top of your front sight (VERY VERY lightly!), that will raise the POI as well. Clearly this is a last resort, but I've done it and not regretted it.

HOWEVER I didn't take a file to the front sight until after I'd put a few thousand rounds through the gun and I was 100% confident that it was a gun issue and not a shooter issue. ;) Unless you're a very experienced shooter, it's best to blame you rather than the equipment. I'm not saying that as an insult, just a fact that I've learned about myself.

Hope that helps a little,

J

It's possible, just takes practice. One of my favorite things to do at the range is to shoot golf balls between 15-30 yards (or however far I can hit them after they've stopped rolling) with my .22 pistol using iron sights. It's an excellent way of practicing your trigger control and sight alignment. But that's not my point...

My point is to zero your firearm in the manner you're most likely going to use it. Since you're most likely going to being firing your handgun from a standing two handed grip, then that's how you should zero it. The thing with zeroing a handgun from a rest is that it affects the way it recoils back, which can affect the zero. (More on that below.)

Also, it should be pointed out that "zeroing" the gun doesn't mean that you have to put five out of five shots through the same hole. The group above is good enough to see where your gun is zeroed.

As far as not being able to adjust your elevation, try a different weight of bullet. If memory serves, a heavier (slower) bullet will typically shoot higher because it's in the barrel a smidge longer, allowing the gun to drift up slightly under the recoil. (Might be an old wives tale, but it's worth trying). If all else fails, if you take a file to the top of your front sight (VERY VERY lightly!), that will raise the POI as well. Clearly this is a last resort, but I've done it and not regretted it.

HOWEVER I didn't take a file to the front sight until after I'd put a few thousand rounds through the gun and I was 100% confident that it was a gun issue and not a shooter issue. ;) Unless you're a very experienced shooter, it's best to blame you rather than the equipment. I'm not saying that as an insult, just a fact that I've learned about myself.

Hope that helps a little,

J

Thanks. I use Dawson fiber optic sights, therefore filing will not really help. I align the dots. I use 115 gr WWB right now, not into reloading yet. Good price/performance compromise for me. If I know my drop is 2 inches at 60 feet, it is good enough.