Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR 400 vs. AR 225 for pistol targets

Due to the fact that from my area it’s a minimum 2 hour drive to the closest matches, I have committed myself to get pistol matches going at my club range. I’m basically starting from scratch here and have a $3000 budget to buy everything from targets to props to shot timers, so yea, I’m spread paper thin.

My question:

Okay, it’s been widely accepted that AR400 is recommended for pistol targets while AR500 is recommended for rifle targets. But at the same time I have several targets made out of A36 (mild steel)that seem nearly indestructible when used for 9mm, .40 and .45 shot at 10 yards or more. I’m looking at getting some full and 2/3 size IPSC targets cut. In 3/8” AR400 a full size will run me about $60, but if I drop down to AR225, I can get the same target for only $27. Since these are pretty large targets and would be used for longer shots (20 yards+), do you guys think the AR 225 would be sufficient? Though we use it on a regular basis at my work I’ve never heard AR 225 come up for use as target steel. Keep in mind these won't be used for major matches with 100's of shooters. Starting out, I'll consider it a success if I can get 20-30 shooters. Thanks in advance for your suggestions folks.

I'm in a similar situation. I originally made a few targets using AR500, but the cost is crazy. I have since made all of my new targets using regular 3/8" mild steel; poppers, knock-downs, etc. They hold up to typical pistol rounds very well. These targets have been shot thousands of times over the last four years and are still going strong with very few craters. If I get a crater, I weld it and grind the face smooth again. Most of my targets fall, with a static target the wear will be worse but you'll still be fine. Angle the steel face toward the ground. I put a mild steel front on a plate rack a few years ago and it can't move but still looks fine. It is at a thirty degree angle toward the ground.

Keep an eye on them and fix any craters immediately. By the way, most of my craters seem to occur at times other than matches when nobody sees what happened, so who knows what is really doing it.

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to try the AR225. Like you said if mild steel holds up(when not abused,) a low grade hardened steel should be fine. If it craps the bed I'm only out $100 for (2) full size and (2)2/3 size steel IPSC's. Just starting out the more we can get for the least amount of $$, the better we'll be.

Anyone out there with specifc experience with AR225?

Buy Once - Cry Once. Always.

They will concave after usage...

I've considered this as well. Since they are going to be hanging targets they could easily be flipped the opposite direction for every match. We’ll have to take them down after every match anyways. Remember these are also for small club level matches, just starting out and we have a limited budget. I’d love to have a blank check to send to MGM for 2 of everything they make, but that’s not going to happen. I have a lot of expenses to cover beyond just getting targets. If I can get 2-3 years out of them to get us started I’ll be happy.

You got it, just flip 'em to the other side and you don't get that concave thing.

I made all my poppers so they can be flipped to the other side. I've been at clubs where the poppers look like they're doing Yoga, and they can't be flipped.

I have about a dozen mini-poppers, a dozen speed poppers, six full-sized poppers, a six-plate rack, two swingers, six drop-turners, and a whole host of knock-down circles and squares, and other stuff I'm forgetting. I couldn't even have one-quarter of that if I bought commercial targets. I guess I could buy the AR stuff and have two or three steel targets, but I prefer 50 or more in mild steel myself.

IPSC target silhouettes won't be all that useful in USPSA legal match. I'm curious what kind of match would need them?

Cardboard targets, and perhaps a few poppers will do fine for your first season.

IPSC target silhouettes won't be all that useful in USPSA legal match. I'm curious what kind of match would need them?

Cardboard targets, and perhaps a few poppers will do fine for your first season.

Our matches aren’t going to be USPSA sanctioned, I’m just in this for fun and to bring something new to our range. If we get enough people, maybe we will eventually.

Why the steel silhouettes? Cause we have a small river on one side of our range that has a berm on the other side. I think it would make for cool targets to shoot from across the river without having to constantly send people across the bridge to paste targets.

Thanks for the link, but I can buy steel much cheaper through my place of empoyment than anywhere I've seen on the web. I work for a large equipment manufacturer that specializes in material handling and mining equipment. Even at my cost though, AR400/AR500/450Hardox, the stuff is expensive these days. Thats why I'm willing to try the AR225. I can buy it at less than 1/2 the price of AR400.

Edited to add. Just looked it up, we actually go through over 250,000lbs of raw steel every week.

Edited by Shooter115

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...