Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Breech face 'dents" from barrel?

BillR1

After I got back from the range today and did my cleaning, I noticed some strange marks on my 9mm 5" Pro. They're "dents" on the breech face that line up with the two protrusions on the top rear of the barrel hood. I can feel a very slight "catch" when I slide the barrel hood upwards against the breech face into the lock position. It looks like the barrel hood has been slamming against the breech face slightly lower than the lock position.

I am using an APEX kit with light 9mm loads.

Any ideas?

I probably have 800 rounds through the gun. I AM using a lighter spring (14#), but I'm using the same lighter spring in my 5" .40 Pro and it sure doesn't look like this.

It seems to shoot fine right now. I had a couple of light strikes that didn't fire at a match on Sunday, so I shortened a bunch of reloads from 1.140" to 1.120" and tried a few different springs yesterday to get a good look at the primer hits. I never had a failure yesterday.

I'll call S&W today...

Yep, S&W wants it back. The tech I sent the pics to said the barrel hood needs to be "trimmed". Time to put the gun back to stock and ship it off. I'm sure glad I saved those old trigger parts and sights...

Using a lighter recoil spring should have the opposite effect, as it's responsible for the force that puts the gun back into battery. I asked about the factory spring because it's always possible to get one that's heavier than it's supposed to be-- perhaps for another gun entirely, or simply one that's a bit stiff from the factory.

Yeah, out-of-spec hood makes the most sense. I've got roughly 15k through my 9 Pro as of this minute, and there's absolutely no wear at all on the breach face in those spots.

If I were you, I'd be 100% positive they "trimmed the barrel hood" AND replaced that slide. Those are some serious marks; God only knows what the long term effects could be... Personally speaking, I'd want a whole new top half...

I'd also pull all of the APEX stuff out prior to shipping, which it sounds like you plan to do.

Good luck, and keep us posted with the outcome!

Using a lighter recoil spring should have the opposite effect, as it's responsible for the force that puts the gun back into battery. I asked about the factory spring because it's always possible to get one that's heavier than it's supposed to be-- perhaps for another gun entirely, or simply one that's a bit stiff from the factory.

Yeah, out-of-spec hood makes the most sense. I've got roughly 15k through my 9 Pro as of this minute, and there's absolutely no wear at all on the breach face in those spots.

If I were you, I'd be 100% positive they "trimmed the barrel hood" AND replaced that slide. Those are some serious marks; God only knows what the long term effects could be... Personally speaking, I'd want a whole new top half...

I'd also pull all of the APEX stuff out prior to shipping, which it sounds like you plan to do.

Good luck, and keep us posted with the outcome!

The gun is back to stock right now. I pulled all of the Apex parts off and even removed the Dawson sights in case they (hopefully) DO replace the slide. S&W said they'd send the FedEx label via email in a few days.

• 6 years later...
On 3/14/2012 at 8:04 AM, BillR1 said:

The gun is back to stock right now. I pulled all of the Apex parts off and even removed the Dawson sights in case they (hopefully) DO replace the slide. S&W said they'd send the FedEx label via email in a few days.

Six years later. . .

Did they replace the slide?

I would have thought the internal mechanism that lifts the barrel into battery was at fault, like a flat spot where there should be a ramp.

And why is that breech face so soft?

I googled dent breech face because my test dummy SWCs 3-point jam and the BRASS is denting the breech face!  M&P@200 rnds.