Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Convert Full Size M&P9 to M&P9L or Pro series

jsoares

I'm looking to take my M&P9 4.25" and converting it into an M&P9L or Pro Series with a 5" barrel for competition. Has anyone done this before? Can I just pick up a Pro series 5" slide assembly and barrel and put it onto my frame for the M&P9? Will it fit? Just from looking at some pictures the frames look like the same. Also, who makes the best aftermarket barrels for the M&P? I've heard of KKM and Storm Lake. Thank you.

We do have the 5" slide assemblies occasionally but not often, the last one we had was several months ago and we keep 20 or 30 on backorder at S&W. Lacey does maintain a waiting list and as soon as we get one in she starts emailing the list to see who still needs one. The slide assemblies, as with all of their parts, come from the production line and as soon as they have one they can spare they'll sell it as a part.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was not USPSA production division rules legal to use a mismatched upper and lower. For example, a G-34 slide on a G-17 frame. I would think the same is true for the M&P. Anybody know?

<br />Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was not USPSA production division rules legal to use a mismatched upper and lower. For example, a G-34 slide on a G-17 frame. I would think the same is true for the M&P. Anybody know?<br />
Production Rule 21.3 states the slide and barrel can be replaced with an OEM or aftermarket product, but it must be of the same length and contour as the original for that model.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was not USPSA production division rules legal to use a mismatched upper and lower. For example, a G-34 slide on a G-17 frame. I would think the same is true for the M&P. Anybody know?

Correct. Putting a 5" slide on a gun that originally came with a 4.25" slide makes it illegal for production.

Correct. Putting a 5" slide on a gun that originally came with a 4.25" slide makes it illegal for production.

they aren't triple serialized, how would anyone know? and there is no competitive advantage to be had unless someone is changing slides based on stage.

they aren't triple serialized, how would anyone know? and there is no competitive advantage to be had unless someone is changing slides based on stage.

It's called the Honor System

I don't disagree, don't get me wrong.

While "Rules are Rules", common sense should prevail.

If the combination you arrive at is a currently manufactured model from OEM, then it is legal per rule 21.3 in the current book.

If the OEM makes that length, it should be legal. If your trying to use a length or replacement that is not offered as OEM, then it would not be legal.

Edited by DsWright

You are trying to convince the wrong people-you need to try to convince the rules committee at USPSA. If you wanted a longer slide why didn't you buy the M&P Pro to begin with?

I'm not sure about the original poster, but for people stuck in Massachusetts the Pro and 9L aren't on our approved roster and you can't purchase them new. You can only get them from someone who moved into the state with them and a selling them in a face to face sale.

You are trying to convince the wrong people-you need to try to convince the rules committee at USPSA. If you wanted a longer slide why didn't you buy the M&P Pro to begin with?

I'm not sure about the original poster, but for people stuck in Massachusetts the Pro and 9L aren't on our approved roster and you can't purchase them new. You can only get them from someone who moved into the state with them and a selling them in a face to face sale.

That's right. I originally asked this question because I live in MA and I can't purchase a factory M&P9L or Pro, so I wanted to know if I could build one off a 4.25" version. Thanks everyone for their input. I actually spoke with S&W and ordered a bare slide for the M&P 9 Pro. They told me 4-6 weeks, but they're selling them. It stinks that I live in MA and have to go this route to get what I want.

That's right. I originally asked this question because I live in MA and I can't purchase a factory M&P9L or Pro, so I wanted to know if I could build one off a 4.25" version. Thanks everyone for their input. I actually spoke with S&W and ordered a bare slide for the M&P 9 Pro. They told me 4-6 weeks, but they're selling them. It stinks that I live in MA and have to go this route to get what I want.

That's cool that you're able to get one direct.

Would you care to share what they are charging you for the bare long slide?

I'm not sure about the original poster, but for people stuck in Massachusetts the Pro and 9L

aren't on our approved roster and you can't purchase them new. You can only get them from someone who moved into the state with them and a selling them in a face to face sale.

I would like to know myself what one would cost.

Edited by jlaw973

I'm not sure about the original poster, but for people stuck in Massachusetts the Pro and 9L

aren't on our approved roster and you can't purchase them new. You can only get them from someone who moved into the state with them and a selling them in a face to face sale.

I would like to know myself what one would cost.

The Bare slide for the M&P9 Pro was $173.00. They told me that they only sell the bare slide and not the entire slide assembly.