Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Focus

Piney

I recently shot a major match. I'd been practicing some on the range and a bit of dry firing the week prior. I decided that my physical skill levels weren't going to significantly improve. I decided I'd work on the mental part. From visiting with shooting friends, reading BE's book a few more times and reading here--that's the next step in the journey for me.

I was determined that I was going to focus on my shooting-- and not on the "little things" that occur and seem to upset many folks at matches-- long waits to shoot, inconsistant ruling by the stage SO, debating not "legal" stages, other folks complaning, and similar.

I decided how I was going to shoot the stage and focused on that. I didnt rush to get r done and run between stages. I didnt watch the shooter when I was on deck so no second guessing my original decisions. I walked away and tried not to listen to their shot pattern. Once I shot, it was back to watching and visiting ( and of course taping ! LOL). Once I verified the scoring was accurate and on paper, I tucked it away. I've found that trying to keep a running match score total causes me to worry about "doing better on the next stage" which results in loosing my focus on how I shoot best and trying to best another shooter.

Bottom line--I focused, it felt comfortable-- it worked-- and I placed !

You're correct. Focusing on outcome doesn't help with the process, correct process LEADS to desired outcome! When you get the desired outcome DON'T try to repeat the outcome. Focus instead on repeating the PROCESS which lead to the outcome.

This is what I have been trying to focus on for a few months now. I've been shooting and practicing less because of how busy I've been. My splits, draws, reloads, and transitions are slower but my matches have been consistently getting better. I believe 95% of my match improvement was coming to the same realization you did

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The more I shoot, the more I understand that this is a mind game that just happens to use a gun. Like most mind games the better your skills are the simpler it is to get the mind game part.

• 2 weeks later...

...this is a mind game that just happens to use a gun....

I am beginning to understand this too. Things are getting simpler and simpler. This is making focusing easier and matches funner.

One thing I'm trying to balance is finding a way to focus while still being sociable with the "noise" of the: debating not "legal" stages, other folks complaning, and similar.

Maybe I should have my earplugs in all the time...

DNH

• 5 weeks later...