Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small Magnum Primers for 9mm

E5MC

I have noticed some shooters are using small magnum pistol primers for Idpa and USPSA 9MM loads. Please help educate the ignorant. Is there an advantage to be had using magum vs regular small pistol primers. I only reload 9mm on my 650 and my loads are used for practice and will be used in match's this season. All I have ever used in the past has been N320 powder, MG 124gr RN, Winchester or Federal small pistol primers and usually Winchester or Federal cases. Am I missing out on something.

Am I missing out on something.

No.

They are a little hotter but for minor loads all you need are SPP. If you go to mag primers you would want to drop a few tenths in powder and re chrono.

Hello: The magnum primers burn a little hotter than standard primers. You can get away with a little less powder as stated above. It will also burn more of the powder also. Cowboy shooters use them so they get more of the powder to burn at 90PF :roflol: The magnum primers are a little harder than standard primers. You could try some and see if they work for you. Thanks, Eric

People need to stop spreading this information:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=146365&st=0&p=1642766&hl=erosion&fromsearch=1entry1642766

The reason people started using SP Mag primers in 9mm minor was due to the primer shortage.

It's over and primers are available again. If you shoot 130 PF loads regularly with magnum primers, take a look at your breech face.

They will erode your breech face.

Don't do it...

that's just plain bullsh*t, i use fed 200 spm and fed 205 srp primers for years now, never had any breechface erosion, almost everyone at my club is using magnum of rifle primers, no one has breech face erosion, and this is with 9 major en 38super major loads.

it's not the primer wich causes breech face erosion, it's a worn out primer pocket wich does that.

with magnum or rifle primers, you get about 2 or 3 point more on your powerfactor, and the powder gets better ignited, also when you are using an extended firing pin, a spp get's completely punctured, with magnum or rifle primer this wil not happen, and that;s reason why people started using magnum or rifle primers.

They will erode your breech face.

Don't do it...

that's just plain bullsh*t, i use fed 200 spm and fed 205 srp primers for years now, never had any breechface erosion, almost everyone at my club is using magnum of rifle primers, no one has breech face erosion, and this is with 9 major en 38super major loads.

it's not the primer wich causes breech face erosion, it's a worn out primer pocket wich does that.

with magnum or rifle primers, you get about 2 or 3 point more on your powerfactor, and the powder gets better ignited, also when you are using an extended firing pin, a spp get's completely punctured, with magnum or rifle primer this wil not happen, and that;s reason why people started using magnum or rifle primers.

+1 on using SPM with 9 MAJOR and 38 Super, as well as 44 MAG, and 357 Mag. I typically use them for loads where there is more than 7gr of Powder aka 9 Major. There is no need to use them for 9 minor and in fact the SPP is designed for 9 Minor so use SPP for minor Win, MagTech, Federal, CCI, all go bang reliably.

I can tell you if you are picking up my 9 major brass you are getting some very lose primer pockets and that isn't good, when picking up 9 mm brass look at the primers if it is totally flat let it go!

I keep a bucket for 9 major spent brass when it gets full it weights 65 pounds, I take it to the salvage yard and get $2.00 a pound for it, turn around and buy once fired with the money.

indeed there's no need for use in 9 minor, but i hate it when i have several different primers, when i just load 1 caliber, so i use the magnums in both 9 major and minor.

last week i brought a bucket with spent brass to the salvage yard, i got 3.50 euro's per kilo for it, new once fired brass i can get for free at the range all the same headstamp.

Back during the primer shortage all I could find was magnum primers so I adjusted my loads down a tick and started using them. Then I noticed I was getting a cleaner more complete burn with my fav Hodgdon Universal powder. Less soot and leftover powder flakes in the larger calibers. Now that I've got all my loads dialed in around Federal Magnum primers it's just much easier to only have to stock two primer types, large and small magnums.

A word of WARNING. I do not think I would use this approach if your one of those guys that like to use fast burning powders, it could cause pressures to peak too fast and cause unsafe pressures.

Sal

Several years ago I managed to purchase some SP Magnum primers by mistake and did not realize it until I had about 500 rounds loaded. These were mild loads in 40 S&W and they were ca 20 fps faster than those with the standard primers.