Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Very disappointed with Solo 1000

itotorica

I have been reloading for more that 25 years, but recently got involved in IDPA so I'm tryinig to developed a load around 130-135 PF using a MG 147. So after much research I try Solo 1000 behind MG 147.

Here are my results

Solo 1000 3.6.Mg 147 oal. 1.130 avg 813.96

Solo 1000 3.6 Mg 147 oal. 1.115 avg 817.57

temp was 78

None of the 2 loads makes factor. Do I'm missing something?

Why is Solo so popular?

Any help will be appreciate.

Gun is a stock G-17

Thanks

I.T.P

Edited by itotorica

A couple things come to mind:

1. MG bullets run on the slow side.

2. Later, more recent batches of solo run slower than earlier batches.

I would load it up to the longer OAL and bump up the charge. Look for pressure signs as you go.

Solo is a good powder for lead/moly because it doesn't smoke that much. If you're goin to run jacketed, you might look into some other powders.

if you are going to use solo 1k i would suggest getting a 4# or more bottle and develop from that bottle. Solo 1 k seems to vary quite a bit lot to lot.

Solo is soft shooting, clean and not too much smoke, but you need to Chrono each jug.

I like solo with lead bullets better. I do use it though in my plated .38's

A friend of mine, gave me some 175 gr. LSWC. I loaded 15 of them to an OAL of 1.121, with 3.3 grs. of Solo 1000. I shoot my .40 with minor loads in Production. If it's not raining Monday, I'm going to Chrono them.

The fastest jug of Solo 1000 I ever had needed 3.8gr at 1.135-1.140" OAL from a Glock 34 to make 134-136PF with Montana Gold 147gr. My last jug took 4.5gr to get the same result. As others have said, you need to chrono and work up with each new jug. Other than that, which I always do with any given powder anyway, it worked fine.

Don't expect to find any reliable, repeatable data in print or on-line. It's not a powder for a novice/inexperienced reloader (not saying you are, just stating a fact).

If you're unhappy with solo, try out some Titegroup, WST or WSF. They work great for 9mm too.

Good luck.

I blended 4 jugs together when I started loading 40. I'm at the middle of jug 4 and I wont be getting anymore. I think I'm going to jump to WST with the next order.

I also purchased four jugs in '08, and I also blended them. I'm not sure if I'll stay with Solo, it's clean burning and minimal smoke, but I hate the way it meters. Maybe WST also.

I usually use Solo 1000 with lead in 38 special, because that's almost all I've been shooting lately, but with 9mm Precision Delta FMJ (and a jug that's about 2 years old) I need at least 3.6 grains to make minor but I have not chronoed this load in some time. As noted, MG will require more.

Hello:I use Tite Group for moly and jacketed. It is very accurate and very available. For the moly bullets I did a test using different crimp. What I found is that you need more crimp than usual for jacketed bullets but not too much that it removes the moly coating when you pull a bullet. Guess what, it smokes less this way :cheers: I never seemed to have the big smoke problems like others have and always wondered why. It is the crimp. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

• 4 weeks later...

I have really good luck with Solo 1000, +1 on the crimp Eric. Crimp is a huge factor with moly lead, too much and you get some funky variance along with excess leading in my experience. I may be just lucky with where I have my crimp set but my two loads of choice are 4.1-4.3 gr. Solo 1000 (depending on temp, Solo is reverse temp sensitive) under 185 gr. Precision moly and 4.9 gr. of Tite Group under 180 gr. MG's FMJ with identical crimp settings. I have my crimp set to where there really isn't a visible mark, or in other word no signs of what looks like very minute "necking" if you will. Oh I almost forgot, I use mixed head-stamp brass, CCI no.500's, and OAL of 1.2" fired from a 6" STI with Scheumann bushing barrel (courtesy of Eric, he builds KICK ASS guns). In all honesty the Precision 185's over Solo 1000 is my absolute favorite for everything except the temp sensitivity, they are soft and extremely accurate!

I have had great luck with solo 1000 I use it in 45 acp and 9mm not much smoke and standard deviation and extreme spread is really good for a light loads.I am using 3.5 gr 1000 135 lead and rifle primer it makes minor and is accurate.I am using 5gr's behind 200gr xtreme plated bullet in the 45 it makes major and is accurate. I don't know about lot to lot I am still on my first 8 pounder.