Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide locked halfway back

robkroupa

Only other time I've seen anything like that was due to a full power round being fired while a squib was stuck in the barrel. It pushed both out, but bulged the barrel, causing the slide to lock back on the barrel and not the slide lock.

Only other time I've seen anything like that was due to a full power round being fired while a squib was stuck in the barrel. It pushed both out, but bulged the barrel, causing the slide to lock back on the barrel and not the slide lock.

I don't think there was a squib but it is certainly not impossible. If that is what happened and what is causing it to lock what is the process of getting it unlocked?

does the barrel move around?

The first step I would do is to knock the frame pins out as well as the trigger pin and then see if you can wiggle the slide around enough to free it from where its binding. then take it apart and inspect it carefully

Yeah, the barrel could be bulged. Look down the barrel with a light and see if you notice bulging.

yes, this first

When looking down the barrel I can't seen any actual bulging but there does seem to be a ring in the fouling, could that indicate a bulge?

Could be. Last person I saw this happen to (was a caspian 1911) had to cut the barrel off at the bushing with a dremel tool. I'd make.damn sure it was bulged before I cut it though. Were they reloads or factory being fired?

They were reloads. I put some penetrating oil on the barrel to see if I can break it loose.

Looks like the slide is bulged... :(

I managed to get the slide to go forward but it won't retract past the bulge which isn't far enough to get activate the slide release so I'm not sure how I'm going to get the slide off. I tried knocking out the two pins I could and wiggling but it didn't help much at all. Time to put on my thinking cap.

There is a sharp corner on the top forward corner of the take down lever. This "Corner" is suppose to keep you from pushing down the take down lever unless the slide is all the way back and the corner is below the half moon cut in the slide. If you are crafty with a dremel you can carefully grind off this take down lever "Corner" so you can rotate the take down lever even if its not under the half moon. This of course is going to ruin the take down lever and you will have to get a new one. But you will at least be able to get the slide off by doing this.

Some metals contract more when cold vs. warm. Put gun in a ziplock bag and in the freezer for a couple of hours. See if the barrel contracts just enough for you to be able to move the slide back over the bulge by pushing against a table, flip the disassembly lever, pull the trigger, and then get the slide off the gun.