Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Magazine Info

burningsquirrels

I've gotten a lot of PMs about magazines lately, so here's a short summary of what I've been replying. If any of it needs correction, please let me know.

==============================

CZ Magazines.

There are basically two magazine tube sizes: 75-sized and TS-sized. All 75-sized magazines of the same caliber fit in all 75-based guns, much like how any Glock 9mm mag goes into any 9mm Glock gun so long as the length works. When we say 75-sized, that refers to the 75B, 85, SP-01, P-01, etc.

I like the 16 round Mec-gar mags which can be had for $20. I haven't personally bought the Beretta rubber basepads but many people found them to work perfectly for $4 each. It's the most economical mag setup I know of that works. This is also what I use with no issues, but with the CZ Custom rubber basepads.

The factory 18 round magazines are more expensive than the 16 rounders, but some people say they reload easier and the plastic basepads on them are equally sturdy. We have weekly shooters who drop them on concrete with no issues. However, some have found the factory springs wear out quickly. I have found the same and had to replace the springs without even really using them in competition.

The Mec-gar 17 round AFC anti-friction coating mags have a blue follower, are a few bucks more, and still could use a rubber base pad. It holds one more, and some reports a while back say they feed 40 S&W reliably, so it's great if you shoot two calibers.

The Mec-gar 19 round AFC magazines, also with a blue follower, have reports of not fitting the production division box in USPSA.

The three most important things when it comes to maintaining magazines is keeping them clean, keeping an eye on spring maintenance, and using calipers on the feed lips when new to have a reference point if one of them may become problematic in the future. I keep a cheap nylon bore brush to brush out the guts if I need to at a match, change springs and caliper check the feed lips once a year, and mist/wipe the insides of the tubes once in a while to get everything out.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great info all in one place. :cheers:

I'm with Squirrels, IMHO the $20/each Mec-Gar 16 rounders (MGCZ7516B) + the $9/each CZ Rubber Base Pads add up to be the most economical and pretty much bombproof option. ($29 a mag could be better of course, but it isn't really too bad as the springs are strong and GTG for at least a season or two, most of the other's need changing sooner rather than later). The 17rd Mec-Gar AFC mags are my 2nd choice and are pretty much GTG as is.

The Mec-gar 19 round AFC magazines, also with a blue follower, have reports of not fitting the production division box in USPSA.

I witnessed this at the NC Sectional last year. Squad mate had those mags for his SP01, did not fit the box. He also had two factory mags, but he gave the Chrono Man the Mec-Gar mags. Welcome to Open!

Lots of people consider +10% springs mandatory with the factory 18rd mags. The stock springs come nearly useless, or will be after a few K rounds. I just use Wolf's. They last longer and I've not had a nose dive since switching to them.

(I also found out about the mec-gar mags not fitting the box.. but not the way you saw :surprise: ) I use them for practice now.

I've gotten a lot of PMs about magazines lately, so here's a short summary of what I've been replying. If any of it needs correction, please let me know.

==============================

CZ Magazines.

There are basically two magazine tube sizes: 75-sized and TS-sized. All 75-sized magazines of the same caliber fit in all 75-based guns, much like how any Glock 9mm mag goes into any 9mm Glock gun so long as the length works. When we say 75-sized, that refers to the 75B, 85, SP-01, P-01, etc.

I like the 16 round Mec-gar mags which can be had for $20. I haven't personally bought the Beretta rubber basepads but many people found them to work perfectly for $4 each. It's the most economical mag setup I know of that works. This is also what I use with no issues, but with the CZ Custom rubber basepads.

The factory 18 round magazines are more expensive than the 16 rounders, but some people say they reload easier and the plastic basepads on them are equally sturdy. We have weekly shooters who drop them on concrete with no issues. However, some have found the factory springs wear out quickly. I have found the same and had to replace the springs without even really using them in competition.

The Mec-gar 17 round AFC anti-friction coating mags have a blue follower, are a few bucks more, and still could use a rubber base pad. It holds one more, and some reports a while back say they feed 40 S&W reliably, so it's great if you shoot two calibers.

The three most important things when it comes to maintaining magazines is keeping them clean, keeping an eye on spring maintenance, and using calipers on the feed lips when new to have a reference point if one of them may become problematic in the future. I keep a cheap nylon bore brush to brush out the guts if I need to at a match, change springs and caliper check the feed lips once a year, and mist/wipe the insides of the tubes once in a while to get everything out.

Where is the best place to purchase the 16 round AFC mags? 44mag.com has been backordered forever.

Thanks

just measure what's working for now. then after several months or whatever, take measurements again. if there's something wrong you'll see numbers not matching up on one mag. i had one mag that would occasionally jam, a set of calipers showed it was the largest by far out of the lot, so under hte hammer it went.

IMO, it is also important to note that the factory 18-round SP-01 magazines utilize full-length tubes (whereby the basepads wrap up and around the magazine tube) whereas the 19-round Mec-Gar AFC mags are standard-length tubes with extensions added on.

I have also found the AFC mags to not drop as freely in some of my CZs as factory-style mags. (I've since sold all of my AFC mags.)

This just to show you how consistently things are inconsistent. I have sold all my factory mags and am now using all AFC mags. No more mag issues. :cheers:

Now only if I can just jettison my shooting "issues" that easily. :roflol:

I have also found the AFC mags to not drop as freely in some of my CZs as factory-style mags. (I've since sold all of my AFC mags.)

Funny, I've been using factory 18rd mags with factory springs for a year now, and not a single problem (9,000rds so far).

Although I got the +10 springs just in case, I haven't had to use them. I'm replacing them soon anyway just as a maintenance thing.

Can anyone confirm that the factory 18-round SP-01 magazines fit in the box? I have three of these and three mec-gar 19 rounders and never considered that they may not be legal for production in USPSA.

Side note - why the hell does the length of my magazine make any difference when I'm only putting 10 rounds in regardless?? What the heck is that about??

Can anyone confirm that the factory 18-round SP-01 magazines fit in the box? I have three of these and three mec-gar 19 rounders and never considered that they may not be legal for production in USPSA.

The SP-01 mags are legal, no problem. I only run factory SP-01 mags with my Shadow and have no issues fitting the box.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in the process of researching a shadow purchase. I've dropped glock, 1911, sig and beretta mags and anything else I've shot without thinking about the base pads. However, I see more than one mention recommending the rubber base pads which to a certain extent has me concerned about the magazine reliability. The only mags I've ever had come apart on me were Beretta mags using the rubber base pads.

I was looking at either getting the stock SP-01 mags (not sure where the best place is) or the 17 rd mec-gars. I understand the recommendation for the stock mags is a wolff spring and there isn't enough room to add a base pad. What are the recommendations for the mec-gars, is there a good base pad that fits them?

Is there any difference between the factory CZ 16 round mags and the Mecgar 16 round mags?

other than mec-gar markings, none from what i've encountered.

There is one other difference, about $30.00 per mag.

WHile we are talking mags. Has anybody noticed that the SP01 19 round mags take a Short OAL than the AFC megars? To me it doesn't make sense but my rounds run fin in my AFC mags but sometimes get hung up in my SP01 mags. I'm running 1.140 OAL. I'm thinking I'm going to have to go to 1.135.