Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cataract Surgery - The whole Story

CocoBolo

Ron, shot my first match this past weekend after 11 weeks off with broken ankle. Thought I shot the stages pretty good but knew I hosed the classifier. When scores were posted it appears I hosed everything. Shooting MS Classic in mid May and I don't know if I can shoot enough matches between now and then to come up to respectful status, but I am shooting with my son and lots of friends so it will be fun I am sure. Thanks so much for your time spent documenting your progress I had planned to do this but feel certain you helped concrete that decision.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 weeks right 3 weeks on the left eye. Floaters in the left are fading. Vision is very good. No more drops in the right eye. One more week of drops in the left eye.

Shot a match Saturday, changed to another gun for this match and shot 75% finished 5th overall. Much better than last match. Today I went out with all 4 open guns and my rifle and did Zero Check, just in case my eyes changing changed the Zero, Well 3 of the 4 guns were spot on, the one I had been shooting was way off so I shot a bunch of rounds thur it only to find the C-more is bad and will not hold zero, get it dead on shot 10 rounds and it is 4" high again. Explains that one bad match or two. My rifle was dead on.

So just somemore shot gun practice and I'm ready for the big 3 gun.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned for shooting the Texas Multigun Championship. Now some 6 weeks since eye one was done. Interesting that I could see things others could not. On the long range stage since it rained no one could tell where they were hitting no dust signatures, but I could see exactly where I was hitting, I could see the dirt behind the steel and when the hit came in the little clods would move, I adjusted but not quick enough. Being more than two years since I hammered down on a rifle beyond 25 yards, taking the wrong ammo, and just a few other mistakes helped me run out of time before making it to the 500 yard targets. I was using a 3x weaver, they were using similiar but much more expensive optics.

Bottom line, vision is great! Nice to be able to see the targets even when not painted, when they blend with the bearm for others, and before looking thru the optic.

I didn't finish well in the match but, the first shotgun stage my open shot gun died, on the last the shared tactical gun jammed up after the 2nd slug shot, not a good finish with 220 seconds of penalties.

Ron, just got in from the eye doctor and doing the measurements. I have to go back in 2 weeks to confirm the final measurements but looks like we are going with the multifocal lens based upon my daily work habits, lot of computer work and financial analysis. I sure hope that doesn't screw my shooting habits any worse. Shot my first match this past weekend after the broken ankle recovery and finished dead last on all but one stage and hosed the classifier. Shooting semi-automatic pistol in full-automatic mode doesn't help. Hoping my results are as good as yours. Thanks again

You are going to absolutly LOVE the multifocals. It's been a little over two years for me and a year & a half for my wife since we had the procedures. I'm still in awe at what I can see. Have not shot my open gun since, so much fun seeing the sights.

• 1 month later...

Ron, after having to delay the surgery for 2 weeks due to an abrasion in one eye I had the left eye done this past Wednesday. Procedure is a piece of cake just as you have described, however, the anesthesia made me sick as a dog. Definitely going to have a heart to heart talk with the anesthesiologists for the next one. Post op visit showed 20/50 which sounds weird but the doctor says that is good and will definitely get better. My shooting has definitely been put on hold and look forward to getting finished so I can get back to it. Thanks for your posts if was a big help.

Walter

Ron, after having to delay the surgery for 2 weeks due to an abrasion in one eye I had the left eye done this past Wednesday. Procedure is a piece of cake just as you have described, however, the anesthesia made me sick as a dog. Definitely going to have a heart to heart talk with the anesthesiologists for the next one. Post op visit showed 20/50 which sounds weird but the doctor says that is good and will definitely get better. My shooting has definitely been put on hold and look forward to getting finished so I can get back to it. Thanks for your posts if was a big help.

Walter

Yes, my first post op on both eyes was 20/50. After a week it was 20/20. Now more than 2 months out I'm truely enjoying being Bionic! I can stand at the start box and score the whold stage those 9 mm holes look like some one drove a truck thru the target! See that No Shoot on the first target on the right, two young guys with good eyes go No, you can't see that then they walk up about 10 yards and go, wow he saw that. So it gets way better. It has take a bit to get the benefit in my shooting but I definately am shooting better, I was in that 50 something % finishing matches with tight stages and that is now 70+% now.

I figured out the reading glasses thing and bought another 3 pack for $11 at target 1.75's and life is good!

Grab a pair of sun glasses the world is bright when you can see!

Ron

Keep updating this if you don't mind. I find it very interesting (the eye) :surprise: and how they are able to fix most things that go wrong with it.

My eye doc was telling me there is work going on where they are using some flexible type of lens that will react very closely to the normal lens as in being able to change shape as it focuses on near and far. Said the natural lenses become less flexible with age but the muscles that control the lens still work pretty good.

Also said it will probably not be perfected in our lifetime :(

I bet it is.... :D

OK Ron headed in to do the right eye tomorrow and looking forward to getting this finished. For the last 2 weeks I have walked around and sat in traffic looking through the good eye and then the bad eye for comparison pruposes. You are right this is a blessing to have done. I am so excited with the vision that I ordered the Rudy Rydon Shooting kit today. By the way if you shoot the Texas Limited look for my son Brandon with Team Boomershooter, I told him to look for you and tell you hello.

Walter

OK Ron headed in to do the right eye tomorrow and looking forward to getting this finished. For the last 2 weeks I have walked around and sat in traffic looking through the good eye and then the bad eye for comparison pruposes. You are right this is a blessing to have done. I am so excited with the vision that I ordered the Rudy Rydon Shooting kit today. By the way if you shoot the Texas Limited look for my son Brandon with Team Boomershooter, I told him to look for you and tell you hello.

Walter

In a couple weeks you will be amazed at how much better you see with two good eyes. When I had one done I was doing the same thing cover one and then the other and compare the vision. It was like the sun comes up when you look thru the eye with the cataract gone!

My floater's in my left eye are now not noticable, I really have to look for them but they are getting smaller and more transparent, at the point of no longer being a distraction.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes!

Well Ron, yesterday everything just clicked and the second eye came through. I am sure you saw the same thing where all of a sudden it just seemed to be normal again. I lay in bed and change channels to read the credits at the end of shows and think how cool and with no glasses or contacts. Will be 2 weeks before follow-up appt on second eye so we will see what it checks out at. Fist eye was 20/30 a week after the procedure and was hoping for a little better than that but that is entirely doable. Still doing the drop regime and looks like 3 or 4 weeks of drops to go but no big deal. Thanks for the "encouragement" in your daily posts.

Walter

Well Ron, yesterday everything just clicked and the second eye came through. I am sure you saw the same thing where all of a sudden it just seemed to be normal again. I lay in bed and change channels to read the credits at the end of shows and think how cool and with no glasses or contacts. Will be 2 weeks before follow-up appt on second eye so we will see what it checks out at. Fist eye was 20/30 a week after the procedure and was hoping for a little better than that but that is entirely doable. Still doing the drop regime and looks like 3 or 4 weeks of drops to go but no big deal. Thanks for the "encouragement" in your daily posts.

Walter

Good to hear you are doing well. It is still early and they could improve.

The Final Chapter: Had my 4 month check up today. 20/10 in both eyes no Astigmatism. As asked the tech after all the test if I needed glasses, she said if I had glasses I could see thru walls. The DR/Surgeon was very pleased with the results, so am I. My shooting has improved and I hope to continue to improve.

To deal with glasses and reading I ordered a pair of progressive/transitional glasses, they get dark in light. Now I don't have an excuse anymore for not keeping score at a match on the nooks.

This also will let me work in my shop without taking the reading glasses off and on etc. So I'm set.

My only regret is I didn't get it done sooner!