Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cataract Surgery - The whole Story

CocoBolo

Great progress journaling. Congrats and kudos for going through with it. I had Lasik done on my eyes, primarily just enough astigmatism to drive me nuts without glasses, and I'm 20/15 both eyes. I can't recommend the procedure enough. My Mom got her cataracts replaced and had great success. She noticed a big difference in her color perception, all pinks looked orange before. This was problematic since she hates pink but loves orange. She was appalled to find out most of her wardrobe was pink.

I tell patients that are getting cataracts done to expect a couple things: 1) You'll be amazed at how dirty your house really is now that you can see all the grime in detail. 2) You'll be surprised at how much older you look once you can see the wrinkles. Beyond those two negatives, it really is an awesome and often lifechanging procedure for quality of living.

Edited by Erucolindon

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok the offical eye test took place today in the one week follow up visit. My right eye is doing fine tested 20/20 vision with No Astigmatism. Ok it don't get any better than that.

I asked about the early morning not as good vision and the Dr explained at night some fluid will accumulate in the cornea, once I get up and start blinking it dissapates, this should go away fairly soon.

Thursday - I go for Surgery at 8:30 am for the left eye.

We did have a few minutes to talk about reading options since reading isn't happening after surgery. He told me just to go to the dollar store and get a 2.75 reading glasses to use until the 30 day follow up once the left eye is done and astigmatism free they will work fine.

I'll be glad when this next surgery is done, and I am free of glasses for normal distan vision, when I retire I don't plan to sit around reading.

Edited by CocoBolo

Had the left Eye done yesterday morning. The only real difference was my anxiety level. I was a lot more calm. Again I think it is no more than 10 minutes from start to finish and I think you drift in an out of coherent conciousness. I was awake during a different phase of the procedure and asked to look down and look at the light and heard the hand me the lens this time.

Again my pupil is very small, and this is the jell they put in the eye right before they remove the eye lid restraints. So at this time it is just like the right eye, a bit darky and blurry, and this should clear up on Sunday afternoon with good vision on Monday.

The new part is operating on my right eye. When they say you will need reading glasses they are not kidding. I have a pair of 2.75 reading glasses from Walrens and I can read with those, but they are very distant specific. Also when not reading no glasses and right now that is a strange feeling.

Keep in mind that these are what they are, my personal results, and 24 hours post operation on the left and only 7 days post operation on the right. It will take 30 days for my vision to stabalize. In 32 days I will be at the TX MultiCun Nationals giving them their first true Multigun Shooting Test. Next Sunday is my favorite pistol match of the month and I should be good to go for that one. Unfortanuatly tomorrow I miss the AASA nationals, I just got a list of what is on the prise table in an email, darn, and the last one I shot I got 4th overall, and Sunday the Club I belong to has thier monthly match. So missing some shooting.

I now get to put 3 kinds of drops in the left eye and 2 kinds in the right eye. Only 2 in the right since the antibiotic is stopped. Drops continue for 30 days post operative. By then end of 30 days I may make B class in eye dropping, I've had a few mikes but no no shoots with the eye drops.

If nothing changes will update Sunday PM when vision in left eye starts (prediction based on right) working better.

Had an AD with the new reading glasses and posted this to another topic, well maybe its the anesthia not totally worn off. I'm doing well today no pain just a slight discomfort in the left eye, this will ease as the day goes on.

Of note now Cataract free, when I got up this am and turned on the light, it was painfully bright for a minute or so, now that is normal, but when I had Cataracts it never happened it was more like I need a higher wattage bulb to see in here.

Edited by CocoBolo

Day Progress Report:

Early am clock test - Able to read clock numbers from 3 feet away with right eye.

Went for day one follow up Dr visit eye had improved some tested at 20/40 regular, and the pin hole test did not help. Dr says eye looks fine but again the Pupil is Mioptic. This means the pupil is very small not letting enough light in.

Evening Update clock Test: Able to read numbers from 21 feet away. This is a 700% improvment from this morning.

For comparision the left eye done last week will read clock numbers from 33 feet away. (and it test 20/20), but continues to get crisper daily.

So looks like the left eye will come in a little faster than the right did. I recall at the end of the first surgery they whomped a butt load of jell in the right eye, this is the stuff that closes the pupil, on the left eye I don't remember them putting the jell in but I asked about it and they did so maybe this time they didn't use as much.

Using both eyes with reading glasses the computer screen is bowed down in the middle, covering one eye straightens it out, either one. No idea about that one. But like I said it takes a month for things to stabalize. It is a bit milder in curvature tonight than it was this am.

Edited by CocoBolo

Hope it continues to get better ever day. I'll be getting my right eye done after the cataract gets bigger. Take care.

Thanks for the well wishes. A contrast exam can tell you when you need it done, on my contrast test I was 20/60 and 20/50 while the eye chart test was 20/30 (with brand new glasses). If you get one done then you will have no trouble knowing when the other one needs to be done since you will see it clear as day, meaning that you will see the cheap sunglasses in the other eye.

Udate on Left Eye: Dr say doing fine tested 20/40. (Last Friday)

Today Tuesday: According to my eye chart on the wall it is 20/20.

Observations: Somethings I noticed, driving at night is good, no problems driving at night, it is great. No halos around headlights or tail lights. Street lights are bright, light it up like day light.

I had not given much thought to perefphil (side to side vision) I've noticed a whole new world has open up out to the right and to the left. I had a hard time seeing when backing up in the car now I can see everthing like the old days.

I never worried about reading street signs, I have a GPS, well actually I could not read them, well I can read them now in plenty of time to signal and turn.

This Sunday, I'm taking my new eyes out to a match to see how they affect my shooting. :D

Congrats Ron, glad to hear all is going as well as or better than you thought. I have a 3:00 p.m. appointment today for my initial consult and hopefully scheduling. Have not shot one match yet this year with the broken ankle. Have had cast off 2 weeks and went to 3-gun match this past weekend to visit old friends and smell gun powder :) Struggling with idea of doing surgery before upcoming matches and major in May. Thanks for you time and contributions you have made my decision a lot easier.

Walter

Congrats Ron, glad to hear all is going as well as or better than you thought. I have a 3:00 p.m. appointment today for my initial consult and hopefully scheduling. Have not shot one match yet this year with the broken ankle. Have had cast off 2 weeks and went to 3-gun match this past weekend to visit old friends and smell gun powder :) Struggling with idea of doing surgery before upcoming matches and major in May. Thanks for you time and contributions you have made my decision a lot easier.

Walter

Cripes - I did the ankle thing 10 years ago, broke it tore the ligaments off. It took year bfore the ankle was normal again, if ever since I quit wearing cowboy boots daily. Can't wear them at all anymore, but then again I don't even have chicken's anymore.

Good Luck with the eyes.

Edited by CocoBolo

Just back from the Dr for the left eye 1 week follow up. The left eye is doing well and vision tested at 20/20. The also examined and test the right eye (2 weeks) vision tested at 20/15.

The Dr released me from restrictions and I can go shoot a match this weekend. :D

Ron,

I have to thank you for your reporting on your cataract surgery. Mine have reached a stage where they are operable. I will probably have to get them taken care of late this year. I have been very concerned, heck scared is probably a better term, the thought of anyone cutting on me anywhere let alone my eyes....

Well, your experience and the results have calmed my nerves just a bit.

Thanks

Jim - I am not the kind of guy that scares easy, but I was a bit scrared before the first one. I did my due dilligence finding a good DR.

The clincher for the DR that did my surgery was I talked to the head nurse at the surgery center, got a list of all the DR's that did cataracts and got a recommendation from her. The kicker was my Dr did her mother's eyes, so if the nurse is there every day in these surgeries, and picks the guy to do her mom, that says a lot.

It has turned out better than I had hoped and it is still getting better.

I didn't do it for my shooting, but that was certainly a factor, but it is amazing to me, I have never had the vision I have now even with glasses. Like I told the Dr, I never watched the HD channels because I couldn't tell the difference, I can see the difference now.

Ron

Edited by CocoBolo

Ron, where is Elmendorf? Have one sone in Fort Worth I will be visiting for Easter and shooting match at Johnson City (???). Wouldn't mine crossing paths with you. Two weeks and I go in for the measurements and plan to schedule first eye in mid May after the MS Classic.

Ron, where is Elmendorf? Have one sone in Fort Worth I will be visiting for Easter and shooting match at Johnson City (???). Wouldn't mine crossing paths with you. Two weeks and I go in for the measurements and plan to schedule first eye in mid May after the MS Classic.

Elemendorf is just at the SE end of San Antonio. I have a Sister in FT Worth and a Brother in Dallas, and kids all over the country.

I don't know of any matches in Johnson City, but I've heard of Johnson County Range, home for Cross Timbers IDPA club, their match is scheduled for Easter Sunday? If you hit my web site http://www.sashooter.com down towards the bottom of the page there is a full month's schedule for the Central Texas Area.

I normally don't range that far, Waco is about as far north as I go for a local match. It's been a while since I did IDPA, but it is a good game as well.

Ron

Ron,

I am glad that everything is going very well for you. An excellent write-up on the procedure and afterwards. I had one done a couple years ago in my left eye and it made a huge difference. Unfortunately for me, my astigmatism was more of an irregular shape and they could not correct it with one of the new lenses. This is something that the surgeon will go over with each patient after they have mapped your eye pre-surgery. My only real complaint (if it is one) is that I had hoped that he would be able to remove some of the floaters that wander around every time that I change my head position. In all, it was a good thing to do and be able to see again :cheers:

Ron,

I am glad that everything is going very well for you. An excellent write-up on the procedure and afterwards. I had one done a couple years ago in my left eye and it made a huge difference. Unfortunately for me, my astigmatism was more of an irregular shape and they could not correct it with one of the new lenses. This is something that the surgeon will go over with each patient after they have mapped your eye pre-surgery. My only real complaint (if it is one) is that I had hoped that he would be able to remove some of the floaters that wander around every time that I change my head position. In all, it was a good thing to do and be able to see again :cheers:

I am very happy with the right eye, and the left eye is getting just as sharp. The right had some early floaters that looked like a mighty set of brown deer horns floating around then a few days later no floaters. The left eye has some small dot floaters more of a circle with a small dot inside, most noticable when looking thru the windshield on a sunny day. These have been diminishing and geting more transparent. I hope that I am part of the 97% where they go away. The Dr told me just to give it some more time.

I shot the first match today, talk about visual overload! Now that I have two good eyes, my field of view is much much larger, with my cataracts I wasn't seeing out to the side, it was like tunnel vision. Now I got so much visual coming in it took a bit to get it sorted out.

My first stage was a classifier and every darn target had what looked like one hole, well turns it was two that is how close the shots were, except one was either a perfect double or I actually missed. It was a bit slow, if not firing or handling a gun for 6-8weeks wasn't enough I had new eyes. After being poked in the eye repeatedly and all the drops it was no wonder I caught my self blinking, and switching eyes, yep, caught my self winking while shooting. So the next two stages were not that good, then I started getting back in the groove and the final stage of the match I was my old self shot a solid 70% even with a FTF (didn't go into battery) then the mag decided it didn't want to come out, so I had to reach up and yank it out. Finished about 10% below normal but still managed to stay ahead of those that bench mark their match on how close they can get to me.

I figured out my gun probem, I had switched to a 9# recoil spring a few matches ago and have had issues not going into battery once or twice a mach since then, so I put the 10# back in. I did a little resizing on the mag that got stuck, it drops like a rock now.

I think it will just take a couple matches to put it all back together, but the vision is great.

I have a couple week before my next check up so hopefully my floating dots will be gone, they are not distracting, unless you start focusing on them. Down here in texas we have some tiny flying bugs called No See-ums annonying critters buzzing around you but you can't see them, well these I can see but just barely.

Ron,

I am very happy with the right eye, and the left eye is getting just as sharp. The right had some early floaters that looked like a mighty set of brown deer horns floating around then a few days later no floaters. The left eye has some small dot floaters more of a circle with a small dot inside, most noticable when looking thru the windshield on a sunny day. These have been diminishing and geting more transparent. I hope that I am part of the 97% where they go away. The Dr told me just to give it some more time.

I shot the first match today, talk about visual overload! Now that I have two good eyes, my field of view is much much larger, with my cataracts I wasn't seeing out to the side, it was like tunnel vision. Now I got so much visual coming in it took a bit to get it sorted out.

My first stage was a classifier and every darn target had what looked like one hole, well turns it was two that is how close the shots were, except one was either a perfect double or I actually missed. It was a bit slow, if not firing or handling a gun for 6-8weeks wasn't enough I had new eyes. After being poked in the eye repeatedly and all the drops it was no wonder I caught my self blinking, and switching eyes, yep, caught my self winking while shooting. So the next two stages were not that good, then I started getting back in the groove and the final stage of the match I was my old self shot a solid 70% even with a FTF (didn't go into battery) then the mag decided it didn't want to come out, so I had to reach up and yank it out. Finished about 10% below normal but still managed to stay ahead of those that bench mark their match on how close they can get to me.

I figured out my gun probem, I had switched to a 9# recoil spring a few matches ago and have had issues not going into battery once or twice a mach since then, so I put the 10# back in. I did a little resizing on the mag that got stuck, it drops like a rock now.

I think it will just take a couple matches to put it all back together, but the vision is great.

I have a couple week before my next check up so hopefully my floating dots will be gone, they are not distracting, unless you start focusing on them. Down here in texas we have some tiny flying bugs called No See-ums annonying critters buzzing around you but you can't see them, well these I can see but just barely.

What's the MOA coverage of that left eye circle with the dot floater? Kinda like an real life EOTech. :roflol:

Ron,

What's the MOA coverage of that left eye circle with the dot floater? Kinda like an real life EOTech. :roflol:

The dot floaters yes kind of like an EoTech, but more like a ghost circle and dot. They continue to get smaller, and smaller. The first time I went out driving I looked up in the sky and thought a flock of grackles was flying along the highway following me. Since then they have continued to shrink in size and the 3 larger dark ones have flown south for the winter, not around anymore. They also are getting more ghost like (transparent), so it is headed in the right direction. Like most things you go thru a cycle, first it was alarming, then annonying, but now it is mostly just a bit distracting at times.

I am still going thru glasses withdrawl, I keep wanting to put on glasses. At times the urge is very strong to just grab some glasses and put them on. There seems to be some comfort factor in glasses and I can't seem to feel that comfort without them. I hope this wears off soon.

Ron

Edited by CocoBolo

Three week Right Eye two Weeks Left eye. Still in glasses withdrawl. Shot a 2 gun Rifle and Pistol, and shot all Pistol as a second gun. 2nd Overall to a M on Pistol only with one awesome stage win. In the RIfle Shotgun, again 1 awsome stage win, but my new Shotgun proved to be not ready and being it was the first time I dropped the hammer on a loaded round I missed a few shots, not as good 4th overall of 30.

Eye sight is getting much more stable, I can see almost a good when I wake up as later in the day, not as much fluid accumulation at night while sleeping.

Nice to be able to score .223 holes in the targets from 20-30 feet away, you call it then the squad mates go walking down to the target put their face up in, How did he see that.

45 hand gun holes are visible at 15 yarads, call all the targets from the start box. The only problem I had was it was a bit hard to read my little CED timer.

So no problem with shooting shotgun or Rifle, or Pistol. Now I just need to get back to practicing and shooting.

Edited by CocoBolo

Ron, headed to eye doctor in morning for measurements. I guess we will discuss lens options and schedule a day for the first eye. Kind of nervous but looking forward to the end results. Guess I will pickup the thread where you leave off. You have really helped me make the decision to move forward with this. Thanks for the support and motivation.

Walter

Ron, just got in from the eye doctor and doing the measurements. I have to go back in 2 weeks to confirm the final measurements but looks like we are going with the multifocal lens based upon my daily work habits, lot of computer work and financial analysis. I sure hope that doesn't screw my shooting habits any worse. Shot my first match this past weekend after the broken ankle recovery and finished dead last on all but one stage and hosed the classifier. Shooting semi-automatic pistol in full-automatic mode doesn't help. Hoping my results are as good as yours. Thanks again

Ron, just got in from the eye doctor and doing the measurements. I have to go back in 2 weeks to confirm the final measurements but looks like we are going with the multifocal lens based upon my daily work habits, lot of computer work and financial analysis. I sure hope that doesn't screw my shooting habits any worse. Shot my first match this past weekend after the broken ankle recovery and finished dead last on all but one stage and hosed the classifier. Shooting semi-automatic pistol in full-automatic mode doesn't help. Hoping my results are as good as yours. Thanks again

Ok I envy you, I had to go Toric because of astigmatism. But it isn't so bad after all, I bought a 3 pack of 1.50 reading glasses $11.99, one in the car, one in the office, and one here at home. They work fine.

I have learned a few things, I need to take them with me to home depot, when buying week killer, ant killer and the like, couldn't read the fine print on the labels. Not sure 1.50 is exactly what I need but I know 2.75 it like looking thru a magnifying glass, I did some reloading with them on and it was like being inside the case every grain of powder was right in my face. Wow too much.

I'm still doing my drops, and I still have the dot flyers in the right eye but they are getting more transparent all the time, I almost have to look for them now. So they seem to be fading away. Vision is still a bit off in the morning and gets better all day.

I am a DBA so I work on computer all day, no glasses, I set it to 1024 by 768 and just work away all day no problems, till someone hands me a piece of paper they scribbled on or printed with the smallest font they could find, then I just throw on my $4.00 readers.

Shooting skills are like bannanas they are pershible, when you take time off, well the skills perish. I know I can see like never in my life but my results didn't show it, it was the 6 weeks I missed that showed.

Best of Luck with your surgery!