Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

why or why not?

Mike21STI

I'm going to be having a limited gun built but I also want to use it for IDPA. So I'm thinking about having the gun built in .40 with a bushing barrel, and then also having a bull barrel fitted to the gun with a tungsten guide rod for more weight when I play the USPSA game. Any reason not to do this? I have someone that will be loading rounds for me until I get setup to reload...

I don't think the bull barrel would be worth the additional cost, plus the cost of having it fit. I've had guns with heavy bull barrels, tungsten rods, etc. I think having the weight back in your hand is better than having it dangling out on the front of the gun.

I don't think the bull barrel would be worth the additional cost, plus the cost of having it fit. I've had guns with heavy bull barrels, tungsten rods, etc. I think having the weight back in your hand is better than having it dangling out on the front of the gun.

I agree!

I have a pair of SVI's, one with a bull barrel and one with a bushing barrel. I ran them both for a while and had the bull barrel's slide lightened to be more like the bushing barrel gun. Having said that, my point is I now have a significant investment in two guns that for all intents and purposes are the same. Build the gun for IDPA and shoot it in USPSA, the differences or advantages are minimal if any.

shoot 40 for IPDA, why not? why spend money on another top end?

A couple reasons - at least for me.

1. It may not be a ton cheaper to reload 9, but over thousands and thousands of rounds, it adds up.

2. 9mm brass is so much easier to find after matches. And I don't mind losing it, when I'm not in the mood to pick it up.

Maybe later, I'll end up wondering why I'm using two different calibers. But for now, it makes sense to me.

My first limited gun that I bought is an STI Eagle with a bushing barrel. The Eagle comes with a standard dust cover, that and the bushing barrel allows me to shoot it in IDPA and USPSA. It is a great way to expand your gaming opportunities without going broke. Since that first gun I have bought two more, one open gun and another limited gun, so the not going broke thing didn't work for me but the theory is sound. I agree with the others about not spending the extra money on the bull barrel.

Edited by waddo29

Hello: Build a bushing barrel 40 so you can use it for both games. You can use a tungston guide rod and tungston guide rod plug also for USPSA if you want to try more weight forward. I think in the end you may just use the bushing barrel with a standard guide rod and plug. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Build a bushing barrel 40 so you can use it for both games. You can use a tungston guide rod and tungston guide rod plug also for USPSA if you want to try more weight forward. I think in the end you may just use the bushing barrel with a standard guide rod and plug. Thanks, Eric

+1 Eric

Learn to shoot the same gun, caliber,& load for both games. This is how you will become proficient and competitive. IMHO the bull barrel is not going to make a difference and not worth the extra money. Put the extra money into reloading.

Hello: What I do with my bushing barrel 5" 2011 I built is use 2 different weight bullets and the same powder charge. I use 185 grain Precisions for USPSA and there 155 grain Precision bullets for IDPA. They are major for USPSA and about 145PF for IDPA. I use a 14lb ISMI recoil spring for major and 12.5lb for minor. I don't even have to adjust the sights. I use a milled down STI magwell so it fits the box and it still works for USPSA :cheers: Get 3 140mm mags and 3 126mm mags and you are good. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I agree!

+1 Somebody needs to make a tungsten magwell/msh for single stack guns.