Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Down and out

Last month I bought a used SiteTracker from a buddy of mine. The next week I wound up in the hospital and found out I have to have back surgery. Three weeks in bed and no shooting or internet. This morning a buddy got me hooked up with a dial up account and life is just a little better. BEnos is the number one site I go to and it is really interesting reading the Forums and learning from all the members. What are some of the things that you do when you are physically unable to do anything associated with guns or shooting? Help a fella out and give me some feedback. Thanks

Since you have access to a computer, check out YouTube for anything about guns/shooting; get some instructional DVD's (on shooting of course); get an mp3 player and have it loaded with podcasts and video podcasts about shooting stuff (and music too); order stuff on-line from the vendors here; check out xre's blog page...

Since you have access to a computer, check out YouTube for anything about guns/shooting; get some instructional DVD's (on shooting of course); get an mp3 player and have it loaded with podcasts and video podcasts about shooting stuff (and music too); order stuff on-line from the vendors here; check out xre's blog page...

Appreciate the suggestions. I'll probably try them all, as I will be down a couple more months. Who and where is "xre'sblog"?

If you've not read Brian's book lately, it's always had new gems revealed every time I crack the book open.

Soon you'll probably have some physical therapy to help with your back surgery recovery. Perhaps talk to the PT not only about your back and preventing re-injury, but any other suggestions they may have about better grip, balance, etc. You or your insurance is paying for the PT's time, might as well maximize the value. Additionally, most PT's are interested in sports so they may "sign on" with you in your goals for improvement. Good PT's also figure out how to use sports/activities that you are interested in to motivate you to do exercises as well so it's quite likely they will work with you.

Additionally, it's more reading, but Brian has been recommending Josh Waitzkin's "Art of Learning". It has a chapter in it about recovering from injuries and using it to your advantage.

Taking time to design stages is also a good mental exercise that pays off long term. Create a stage in your mind, or draw it up on a piece of paper. It helps you visualize what targets will look like as you get to shooting positions on the stage. It lets you anticipate how long it will take you to shoot the stage. Additionally, you'll have some stage ideas to contribute to your club(s).

If you've not read Brian's book lately, it's always had new gems revealed every time I crack the book open.

Soon you'll probably have some physical therapy to help with your back surgery recovery. Perhaps talk to the PT not only about your back and preventing re-injury, but any other suggestions they may have about better grip, balance, etc. You or your insurance is paying for the PT's time, might as well maximize the value. Additionally, most PT's are interested in sports so they may "sign on" with you in your goals for improvement. Good PT's also figure out how to use sports/activities that you are interested in to motivate you to do exercises as well so it's quite likely they will work with you.

Additionally, it's more reading, but Brian has been recommending Josh Waitzkin's "Art of Learning". It has a chapter in it about recovering from injuries and using it to your advantage.

Taking time to design stages is also a good mental exercise that pays off long term. Create a stage in your mind, or draw it up on a piece of paper. It helps you visualize what targets will look like as you get to shooting positions on the stage. It lets you anticipate how long it will take you to shoot the stage. Additionally, you'll have some stage ideas to contribute to your club(s).

I was actually looking for grip enhancers when I got the reply notification. Brian's book is a constant read and I will look into Josh'. What stage design software do you suggest? I appreciate your info.

Do you have your RO certification?

If you get a little antsy just surfing the net, consider signing up for the CRO course. Just finished mine in January and everything was handled with my laptop, internet and an e-mail account.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

If you get a little antsy just surfing the net, consider signing up for the CRO course. Just finished mine in January and everything was handled with my laptop, internet and an e-mail account.

Bill

Got my RO a month before Nats and was told I have to wait a year before I can get my CRO. Appreciate the idea though. Not the type to ever go down and am already stir crazy.

Go to the "stage design" section under "prematch"

Read/walkthru the stages, see how many ways they can be shot.

As a "IDPA guy", I think it is helping me in 3GUN.

I hope your back turns out well, above all I recommend you "do the PT".

Things will et better!

David E.

Go to the "stage design" section under "prematch"

Read/walkthru the stages, see how many ways they can be shot.

As a "IDPA guy", I think it is helping me in 3GUN.

I hope your back turns out well, above all I recommend you "do the PT".

Things will et better!

David E.

Thanks for the support. I didn't realize how big a piece of my life shooting has become in the last two years. First time I missed a weekend was when I was in the hospital. Can't wait to get back and will definitely do the PT.

Josh Waitzkin's "Art of Learning". It has a chapter in it about recovering from injuries and using it to your advantage.

I would highly second that. It is a fantastic book. You have my best wishes for a speedy and solid recovery Bill.

be

Josh Waitzkin's "Art of Learning". It has a chapter in it about recovering from injuries and using it to your advantage.

I would highly second that. It is a fantastic book. You have my best wishes for a speedy and solid recovery Bill.

be

Thanks, appreciate you taking the time.

Bill

Got my RO a month before Nats and was told I have to wait a year before I can get my CRO. Appreciate the idea though. Not the type to ever go down and am already stir crazy.

Possibly my old age kicking in, but I think I saw somewhere that you could actually take the CRO course before the year was up, but would not be certified until later. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

Bill

Bill

Possibly my old age kicking in, but I think I saw somewhere that you could actually take the CRO course before the year was up, but would not be certified until later. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

Bill

It was actually Amidon that told me that when I tried to take the CRO seminar at Nats. Won't hurt to check again though. Where would I find the prerequisites for CRO? I'm going to take the down time to learn how to design stages and I know that's part of it, but I haven't really found a list of what I need to know. Any and all info. appreciated. Thanks

I don't know if you'll be out of the hospital in time, but if you look at the rules forum, somebody is organizing an in-person CRO class that is waiving the current CRO prerequisites (one year as an RO, worked least 2 Level II matches). http://www.brianenos...howtopic=143041

All you need for the stage design is to pay close attention to rules 1.1.5 (freestyle), 1.2 (types of courses and number of required shots in a view), and assorted details about some course construction and writing WSB's in chapters 2-4 (eg. paper targets, steel targets, moving targets, hard cover, soft cover, etc.)

If you passed your RO test easily most of this will already be familiar. If you had to do a lot of looking up for your RO test, you will be really familiar after a couple of course designs. If you take the CRO course, it works you up to being familiar with the course design rules through a series of quizzes before you have to actually design a course. Just like the RO course, you don't have to know stuff by memory, you just have to know where to look it up.

Your CRO teacher/mentor will be there to guide you and critique your designs. Take full advantage of their experience and knowledge, specially when it comes to the arbitration section of the course.

For more details about the CRO course you can read a bit more about it at: http://www.nroi.org/cro.html

Edited by Skydiver

I don't know if you'll be out of the hospital in time, but if you look at the rules forum, somebody is organizing an in-person CRO class that is waiving the current CRO prerequisites (one year as an RO, worked least 2 Level II matches). http://www.brianenos...howtopic=143041

All you need for the stage design is to pay close attention to rules 1.1.5 (freestyle), 1.2 (types of courses and number of required shots in a view), and assorted details about some course construction and writing WSB's in chapters 2-4 (eg. paper targets, steel targets, moving targets, hard cover, soft cover, etc.)

If you passed your RO test easily most of this will already be familiar. If you had to do a lot of looking up for your RO test, you will be really familiar after a couple of course designs. If you take the CRO course, it works you up to being familiar with the course design rules through a series of quizzes before you have to actually design a course. Just like the RO course, you don't have to know stuff by memory, you just have to know where to look it up.

Your CRO teacher/mentor will be there to guide you and critique your designs. Take full advantage of their experience and knowledge, specially when it comes to the arbitration section of the course.

For more details about the CRO course you can read a bit more about it at: http://www.nroi.org/cro.html

Thanks for the info, I will look into it. Can't express how much the support from unknown brethren means. It really helps.