Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow for 3 gun or limited

doubleforte78

I'm gearing up to shoot my first 3 gun match and one of the questions I have is- how do I get my Shadow ready? I currently use it in USPSA production, but from what I've read a limited gun setup is legal in most 3 gun matches. Is it worth spending the money to get +2.5 base pads (140mm) or should I just use the regular 19 rd mags? I'm also considering shooting in USPSA limited division to get accustomed to the higher capacity. Any thoughts on this subject? Burningsquirrels- I expect you have something to say :)

Any thoughts on this subject? Burningsquirrels- I expect you have something to say :)

:roflol: he usually does.

add the pad will get you to 22/23 rounds which can be a good thing, but you'll probably be fine with 19rnd mags for a match or two till you decide what is the best setup.

My squirrel buddy is probably sleeping already. Anyway i know he will recommend you to just shoot what you have 19 rounds. There's more into 3 gun than your pistol mag capacity. Pistols are considered as filler. To just make a stage flowing. It is your rifle hits and shotgun reload that are bigger factors. I know for a fact that my buddy squirrels just use his 18rd mags in 3 gun.

Now for limited, you are in disadvantage on shooting minor. But here mag capacity helps a lot. If you have money to burn, consider a grams spring and follower + short ext basepad then you should have 23+1. Me, i have shadow mag 18rds+10% spring + short basepad and i get 21+1.

Hope this helps and if not just ignore and wait for squirrels. He is probably dreaming already of our stages tom.

actually i was sleeping and honestly DID have a dream of weak hand reloading a shotgun at a waffle house...? now i want waffles.

pistol is so minor in 3 gun. just shoot it as is, don't burn any money you have that could go towards match fees, ammo, or rifle/shotgun gear you need. losing a meager second reloading your pistol is nothing in the face of an 80 to 90 second stage at our level. as little ray ray said, pistol is a filler between using the rifle and shotgun, or a few targets at the start or finish. too many other things to worry about or work on than an extra few rounds in the gun. if you REALLY want, you can borrow one of my 23 round mags when you go to a 3-gun match. i haven't shot very many, but the major matches i did attend didn't really require more than 1, maybe 2 pistol reloads during the entire match.

I'm gearing up to shoot my first 3 gun match and one of the questions I have is- how do I get my Shadow ready? I currently use it in USPSA production, but from what I've read a limited gun setup is legal in most 3 gun matches. Is it worth spending the money to get +2.5 base pads (140mm) or should I just use the regular 19 rd mags? I'm also considering shooting in USPSA limited division to get accustomed to the higher capacity. Any thoughts on this subject? Burningsquirrels- I expect you have something to say :)

There are a lot of folks who consider shooting limited minor to be an act of someone who has lost the will to live.

I think it has more to do with the kind of matches you're shooting. One of the local matches I like to shoot is run by people who *really* like to pull the trigger (i.e., lots of spray & pray stages, including stages with round counts approaching fifty). I don't have a good limited gun, but sometimes shoot limited minor at those matches just for the fun of going faster. (If you've ever had the pleasure of shooting a "wall" [22 standard targets - two rows of 11] with ten-round mags, you know what I mean.)

I wouldn't do it in a major match . . . not again, anyway. But local matches are a different story.