Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI GP5/GP6 owners check in here

My interest is in less expensive magazines. With optional pads. Would love to see the 20 rounds mags kept as well. Great option for shooting limited. A 40 Cal version would be awesome to shoot limited major without cooking hot 9mm loads. Enlarged mag wells?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My interest is in less expensive magazines. With optional pads. Would love to see the 20 rounds mags kept as well. Great option for shooting limited. A 40 Cal version would be awesome to shoot limited major without cooking hot 9mm loads. Enlarged mag wells?

Grand Power were showing off the prototype of thier new .45 acp model at the IWA in March. Jaro said there will be a .40 S&W version built on the larger frame.

Frankly the pictures of the prototype gave mixed signals. The profile of the slide was very 1911ish. The rear sight was still the Eliason. Time will tell.

Hey guys I received your messages. I will try my best to get you the answers you desire in a timely and appropriate manner.

In addition to all of this I'm still in college and dealing with some minor health issues.

I will contact Jaro next Monday.

Thank you,

Robby

Hello my friends,

I have the answers you desire.

Will PM you with details.

Just to catch everyone up they already have various prototype steel safeties for sporting purposes.

There is a steel guide rod in the X-calibur

If someone wants or desires a different rear sight, front, or both a custom edition can be made for the individual for an extra fee.

Per my guys at Grand Power:

"the pistols are highly modular and easily factory modified. GP can produce whatever frankengun you may think of, it's just a matter of imagination, time and of course expenses. Each time I visit the factory I see some odity made to customers taste"

Hope this helps guys,

Robby

• 3 weeks later...

I currently use M-Pro 7, a good but not liberal amount, just enough to see some ooze from the back. Hoppes gun oil is fine too but it is messier. I usually just oil the rail and the groove on the barrel.

Hey all,

Just curious, has anyone had any problems or any luck with specific gun oils? Personally I've had some issues with gun butter, but maybe I get lazy with the application...

I actually don't use oil at all with mine.

I use grease, sparingly.

I fill a syringe with it and apply a drop on the cam pin, the front top corner of the frame insert rails, and smear one along the rear outside edge of the chamber end of the barrel.

Hey all,

Just curious, has anyone had any problems or any luck with specific gun oils? Personally I've had some issues with gun butter, but maybe I get lazy with the application...

I actually don't use oil at all with mine.

I use grease, sparingly.

I fill a syringe with it and apply a drop on the cam pin, the front top corner of the frame insert rails, and smear one along the rear outside edge of the chamber end of the barrel.

What grease do you use?

I have contemplated ordering some Slide Glide.

Right now I'm working on getting both the X-Calibur and X-Trim on the production roster. I also am working on getting them into the country. This may take some time.

Rob

Thanks, Rob, we'll be patient.

Nic,

I have to deal with quite a bit to get these here. I estimate quite a few months before this is up and running. But I believe the X-Cal and X-trim would be exceptional production guns if made production legal.

Thanks,

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know where I can find an extended saety for the GP6?

Not in the US. GP has them on their site but they will not ship direct to customers, you need to go through their importer, Century Arms, as STI has decided to not import any more GPs.

I am pretty sure that Century will not order just one. So, basically, you get used to the safety, or make your own (if you know machining or molding) or use a pistol with more parts and accessories.

Sorry :)

• 5 months later...

Just a follow up on what works very well for me with this gun at the moment.

147gr Frontier Match, WSP primers, 3.8 to 3.9gr Unique, range brass and 1.115 OAL. PF = 133, average speed: 904fps.

This is as mouse farty as you can legally get it in both associations and the stock recoil spring proves being too strong, since it is set to work with 110gr commercial loads and their regular PF of about 150 (supersonic and with a lot more kinetic energy).

To compensate I cut a 12lbs Beretta 92 recoil to the same length as the OEM spring and it rocks.

I am going to see if something may be done internally but I don't want to screw around with it. I have no replacement parts and I don't live in Canada, which means I cannot get the new hammer mechanics from GP shipped to my door in 3 days like some people did.

I don't live in Canada, which means I cannot get the new hammer mechanics from GP shipped to my door in 3 days like some people did.

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. (or cautious)

Keep in mind Canadian import laws are far less restrictive and complicated than the US when it comes to small parts. Where personal exemptions fall short, I got an International Import Certificate from our Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade for all the barrels, slides, and internal parts I could ever imagine needing. It's free and takes all of a week. On Grand Power's end, I just needed to give them a copy of my ID and a written power of attorney for the Slovak export permit. It's just an insurance policy as I expect any other spare parts I could ever need will probably be in stock with Blueline.

For all the public perception of the USA being the gun mecca, it's actually one of the most difficult nations to import and export from.

If the parts are legal to import and Century Arms can't help you, contact Blueline Activities in BC as they should be getting thier guns and parts in before December.

That is cool I am actually pretty glad for you that you could get these parts in yours.

Note that the GP6 is a pretty darn good gun for the price, no matter what. It's not because there is an upgraded model that the previous one is crap, obviously.

So here is my latest upgrade: I bought CZ magazine pads, but the only ones currently available are for the 75/85:

http://shop.cz-usa.com/P-273199000850/7585--Rubber-Mag-Base-Pad.aspx

273199000850.jpg

I ordered only 3 at $9 a piece, thinking that most of the time I need 4 magazines in USPSA and of course 3 in IDPA. If I need 4, then the first one I load is a non-padded magazine.

I found the holes to be too small and I drilled them up to 1/4" and now they fit. I am pretty happy with the result. I have lost a total of 8 seconds on two different stages last Saturday because I did not slam my mags hard enough. Obviously the OEM bases are hard and instinctively I try not to slam them too hard so as not to hurt my hand. Bad idea, of course.

I now have 7 regular 17-round and 1 20-round magazines. The latter is not upgradable but the former, I am obviously buying pads for them too.

Edited by NicVerAZ

• 4 weeks later...

I received a new X-Calibur stype hammer and trigger group.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-EnoXFpTy9I0/UK_XqrbryNI/AAAAAAAAA7E/xzrlOJ_tzUI/s408/12+-+1

It comes with a new sear, new tension spring for said sear, new cross pin and of course the new hammer.

No instructions, of course, crazy Slovaks. Anyway, am I right to understand that the new sear is now mounted upside down, hanging on a the new pin which replaces the old hammer pin (#44 on the schematics)?

I could only keep the hammer but I feel that the new hammer is to be installed with the new parts only.

It's ok if I miss a match tomorrow, no hurry, I want to do this right.

Edited by NicVerAZ

DSCF1553.jpg

The new sear is positioned as shown from a new pin between the hammers pivot pin and the firing pin safety pivot. The hammer spring pin wasn't installed in the picture, but you can imagine from the cut of the arc in the hammer where it sits at the top.

You can install the new hammer group in the older guns, but will need to get the new ejector and sideplate with the new hole for the sear pin.

You can also install the standard hammer group in the X-Calibur by swapping hammers, sears, and sear springs.

Edited by Canuck223

• 1 month later...

Received my Mk7 this morning.

2.08" on a bill drill, all in the A zone, from 7 yards, double action start from holster and I am not used to the sights yet. Note that I am still a fairly new shooter.

2 stove pipes with my reloads, while they cycle the mk6 just fine. I believe it is either because the gun is brand new and still very tight, or just that my reloads are a bit too low on power for this gun (I do clock at 132 of average). I will raise the amount of powder and see.

The holster is really made for the Mk6. The Mk7 has a slightly different shape at the end of the slide, therefore it is a bit rough to pull out.

I am otherwise amazed at how much easier it stays on the target and how manageable the recoil is.

How do you change the grips?

• 1 month later...

Have any of you folks with the GP6 found a magazine basepad for increased capacity? Thanks!

If it will fit the CZ or the small frame Tanfoglio or EAA, it will work on the Grand Power. There is also a 20 round magazine available.

Canuck/Nic, any ideas on how to get a hold of the X-Calibur hammer-group for my K100 mk7..? Tried CAI and emailed GP but they were dead ends...

Honestly the trigger is pretty damn good as-is, but I'm greedy...