Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI GP5/GP6 owners check in here

I am surprised at how many people with Glocks and 1911s of all brands get malfunctions.

It could be bad maintenance... I am not going to say anything bad against Glocks :)

With the Glock, it is most often caused by fukwithititus. :)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the mean time, here's the link to the album.STI GP6 disassembly

And for those registered, the link to the CGN page. CGN GP6 link

Canuck, how do you edit the safety levers?

On a different note I received the new fiber optic sights as well as the extended magazine release.

Installing both was extremely easy.

I strongly recommend spending the $15 for at least the magazine release.

The fiber optic sights are very good. Now I need to zero it :)

I can't wait to test them at the next TNS at Rio.

Edited by NicVerAZ

Has anyone noticed? you have to boresnake the gun in stages where plates are set at 30 meters in order to hit them quickly? i noticed it thrice already. im using 125 grains plated heads loaded to 3.8 n320 with 1.137 inches bullet height.. <_<

Got an issue tonight with the big 20-round magazine I use as first magazine in limited.

I simply did not slam it right and it fell off after 4 rounds. Caught it right away, slammed it back it, had to rack the slide and was back at it. Wasted a few seconds.

I have no issues with the regular 17-round magazines. I would say I am not a fan of the 20-round mag. This issue happened a couple times at the practice range.

Just a heads up. I don't think the bigger mags are worse it. Love the regular mags, otherwise. Great capacity.

hi Canuck223, need your help, how do you disassemble the extractor? it seems the extractor of my gp6 has a considerable forward and backward play, thus failing to extract around at time and caused double feeding problems

hi Canuck223, need your help, how do you disassemble the extractor? it seems the extractor of my gp6 has a considerable forward and backward play, thus failing to extract around at time and caused double feeding problems

Easy Peasy.

With the slide upside down, grab a punch or allen wrench that fits inside the hole. Press the metal plunger in slightly, then with the punch still pressed in a bit, slide the whole works forward.

The extractor is very sturdy and simple. It's got it's spring in a drilled hole at the side.

The extractor is held in position by a metal cap on top of a spring.

There should be no fore-aft movement of the extractor if it's installed properly.

Anybody reloads? I am looking for recipes... I am going to experiment myself, probably even try the Beretta 92 springs cross reference, as STI only carries one spare spring.

I have just asked the pull weight of the current spring.

I'd love to try a Gp6 or an Excaliber but I've never had the opportunity to shoot one. I'm worried about muzzle flip cuz it is a light gun. Has anyone tried reduced power recoil springs with minor loads?

I'd love to try a Gp6 or an Excaliber but I've never had the opportunity to shoot one. I'm worried about muzzle flip cuz it is a light gun. Has anyone tried reduced power recoil springs with minor loads?

651_42523276877_42520246877_1147507_8511_n.jpg

You can also watch this video. He uses his left forefinger to hold the trigger guard (personally I would not, for the reason that you pull the trigger guard down to take it apart) but the controlled pairs are pretty darn amazing:

http://youtu.be/GL7RQ-WRmxk

Some real USPSA action with the GP6:

Side by side with a Glock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG28bA2WWwE

Does this answer your question?

It is really like that, unless of course you go with power loads, like when I was pushing 115gr wity 7.5 gr of Power Pistol (Lyman recipe), then you have a bit of muzzle flip but very accurate groups.

I am not sure if it is just the rotating lock. It does make a difference (the torque is noticeable one-handed, weak hand), but it is not just it. It is also the architecture. You are very quickly back on target.

Now, if you buy a GP6, there is a huge caveat: US support sucks and may disappear.

I am frustrated at the fact that STI has decided to drop the ball on the GPs (as I was informed by email: they do not intend to import any more GP product). I am desperate for the 22lr version, maybe the Mk7 down the road or even the Excalibur. Of course, none of these for the production class, but the 22lr for practice and the Excalibur just because it looks cool and badass.

Just getting a recoil spring is a pain. They tell me to order from Dawson or Shooters Connection, but they do not carry internals, only the mags, sights and extended mag release. So... Do I have to buy a spring for another pistol and see if I can make it work?

I have decided to contact GP myself and to order the 22lr on my own, which will mean convincing GP to ship me one, to fill the ATF paperwork and wait.

It is really because I totally love this pistol that I am ready to go through these steps. It is really a love affair, with everything it means.

FYI, Century Arms will import the Grand Power pistols from now on. They will be sold as "Grand Power Mk[n]", not "GP[n]" any more.

The two only available pistols will be the Mk7: same as the GP6, but with the interchangeable grips. And the P1 Mk7, which is the compact version. Both with 15-round mags, which is still ok for production. I wonder if the 17 and 20-round mags on the US market will fit.

I have asked for the 22lr version, which would be great for practice. It has not been approved yet by BATF.

Well that flat out sucks.

At least the guys in the US will still have a supplier.

Getting spare parts from Europe is possible, but the practical move is for me to start saving for the next Production gun.

Now to debate. Do I go with the SP01 Shadow, or the Tanfoglio Stock III?

Well that flat out sucks.

At least the guys in the US will still have a supplier.

Getting spare parts from Europe is possible, but the practical move is for me to start saving for the next Production gun.

Now to debate. Do I go with the SP01 Shadow, or the Tanfoglio Stock III?

I would go with the Shadow, because the Shadow has a 22 conversion as well as an airsoft version.

So here is my current recipe: 124gr Berrys FN, 3.9gr of HP38 (same as 231), OAL 1.07.

I had two bad stovepipes (never have any with store brands). Note that when I load at 4.1 and above, no cycling issue. I am going to try with lighter recoil spring. First I need to chrono, but it seems to be above the 1008fps needed, as I hit the backdrop 100 yards away most of the time when shooting at the higher targets.

So here is my current recipe: 124gr Berrys FN, 3.9gr of HP38 (same as 231), OAL 1.07.

I had two bad stovepipes (never have any with store brands). Note that when I load at 4.1 and above, no cycling issue. I am going to try with lighter recoil spring. First I need to chrono, but it seems to be above the 1008fps needed, as I hit the backdrop 100 yards away most of the time when shooting at the higher targets.

I'd love to know how the lighter recoil spring works out and if it reduces muzzle flip.

Guys be patient. The X-Calibur pistol will be here soon in addition to the K100 aka GP6.

Our X-Calibur pistol has a 2.7-2.9 lb SA pull right out of the box. Stocked with custom features that many other polymer pistols don't have.

If you think the K100(GP6) is cool, wait til the X-Cal an the K-Trim come in.

Thanks,

Robby

Guys be patient. The X-Calibur pistol will be here soon in addition to the K100 aka GP6.

Our X-Calibur pistol has a 2.7-2.9 lb SA pull right out of the box. Stocked with custom features that many other polymer pistols don't have.

If you think the K100(GP6) is cool, wait til the X-Cal an the K-Trim come in.

Thanks,

Robby

Robby, I am not giving up on the GP at all, quite the contrary, my attachment to this pistol is pretty strong.

I have about 10,000 rounds through it, it flipping rocks.

I'd like to know why you're saying "Our X-Calibur" pistol. Were you given one to try? From what I see, Century Arms is going to carry the Mk7 version. I am ok with trying and maybe buying the X. I would even take the plane to go where I could try and buy it. I am also very strongly after the 22lr version for practice. Can't beat a box of minimags for half the price of reloaded 9mm. The email I got from the Slovaks was that they were not able to export the 22 yet, but I did express my request strongly.

I'd love to know how the lighter recoil spring works out and if it reduces muzzle flip.

Pistols are set to run and cycle commercial loads, which are relatively hot loads which vary from 135 PF to a lot more with +P loads (160+ in some cases). The recoil spring is beefy enough to handle that.

If you go down to close to a 125 PF (which means with 124gr making barely above 1008 fps), you will have reduced muzzle flip, but the spring may bring too much resistance and start to bring back into battery a bit too early compared to with hotter loads, and a case may be caught before leaving the ejection port, which is why you can then allow yourself to play with lighter springs until you find something that cycles properly for this load.

I asked STI if they knew the pull weight of the stock spring and I was told they could not measure it themselves, due to them being geared towards the 1911s they mill. I should ask the GP people directly. If not I can jerry rig something with a fishing scale. DIY plans abound.

Someone was talking about using Beretta springs, cut to fit. That's one solution I will try. But everybody is backordered, it seems.

Hi Nick,

I cannot fully disclose all of my future employment plans with Grand Power publicly.

What I can speak with you about is the following:

We are trying to get our sporting line of products available to the US market shortly. Century will carry products oriented more for self defense demographics. L.E. etc.

Our X-Calibur pistol is worlds above the K100 in my opinion for the production division. If approved I believe the features of the X will be greater than that of any other polymer pistol on the market due to it's value. We're trying to make the best all-around package out of it.

Customer service along with an excellent product is very important to us. I noticed one man did not prefer the Eliason rear sight. As one great man told me everything in time. If you have something you would like to see please let me know and I will voice it to Jaro (Yaro) and get you immediate feedback.

The X-Calibur possesses a value unlike that of any firearm, its versatility, reliability, and unmatched quality I believe would work well in multiple shooting venues (USPSA, STEEL CHALLENGE, 3GUN etc.) The United States market desires a game changing pistol, one that is revolutionary and provides a distinct advantage over that of the current competition. The X-Calibur has custom features that one would pay thousands of dollars for in a custom built race gun for a fraction of the price. Features such as a skeletonized/tri-topped slide, fluted match bull barrel, lowest possible bore axis, light creep-free double action/single action trigger (2.7-3.0lbs), extended magazine release, full length recoil system, fiber optic lighting system in conjunction with a super low adjustable rear sight, and custom contoured interchangeable grips. This all backed by an excellent warranty in addition to customer service.

It's innovation is what is truly impressive. Many other current companies just try to copy each other in a sort of desperate attempt to remain competitive which takes away from their innovation. Our lightened slide for instance keeps the gun shooting flatter even with conventional factory ammunition and allows the slide to cycle much faster.

These features are sought after by some of the top shooters in the world and are found standard on the X-Calibur pistol. The pistol would be a great fit in the production division of USPSA. These modifications cannot be done to a pistol in the production category if they did not come standard from the factory. No other pistol on the market possesses these features out of the box and that is why I personally believe that if you like the feel of our K-100 you would absolutely adore the X-Calibur.

Since you mentioned our 22's the K22 and K22 X-Trim will be included in the sporting line.

I hope this helps my friend. Please let me know if I can provide any of you with more information pertaining to the Grand Power product line.

Thanks,

Robby Orent

:cheers:

Nick please let me know if there is anything else you need to know.

Thanks,

Robby

PM sent. :cheers:

Looking forward to hearing more.

I think the X-Calibur looks great, but a few tweaks might really help.

The slide scalloping might be a cosmetic curiousity to some, but I'm about what works, not what looks pretty. One possible idea might be to offer both the heavy and scalloped barrel. Different users might prefer the ability to tune the weight to the sport.

I'm one of those who hates the Eliason rear sight, and would much prefer a LPA or Bomar type mounted as far back and as low as possible.

I'm used to the GP6 and it's rather thin safety. I would much prefer to see an improved safety with wider and better contoured gas pedals like the SP01 Shadow.

Another option might be to try for a new varient with the frame plugs offered on the DAO version, and a slide mounted hammer block safety like the S&W 745, although that might not be approved for IPSC Production.

I would also like to see the X-Calibur shipped with rubber bumper pads like the Tanfoglio.