Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gunsmith for reliability work on old Kimber?

59Bassman

I've got an old Kimber Clackamas Classic Custom that I purchased new in 1996. It's my first handgun, and the gun I started shooting USPSA with. I had an original Bo-Mar put on it as well as a S&A magwell back when. It's the most accurate pistol I've ever owned, but the reliability has always been spotty, regardless of magazines. I had sent it to Kimber about 5 years ago to have the chamber re-cut (mine was one of the early run with slightly oval chambers), but it's still having 3-point failures about 1 out of every 100 rounds. Which means about 1 failure per match when I'm shooting SS. Looking at the classic causes, the only thing I can potentially see is that the frame ramp to barrel distance isn't quite the 1/32" spec, but there is a gap there.

There's a part of me that says retire the old girl and just shoot my CZ's until I can save up the scratch for a Les Baer or an STI. But I'd also like to get it running, and running well. Is reliability work on the Kimber something to trust to the local gunsmith, or is there someone I should talk to about sending it off?

PM's are fine if you'd rather not broadcast to the world.

I've got an old Kimber Clackamas Classic Custom that I purchased new in 1996. It's my first handgun, and the gun I started shooting USPSA with. I had an original Bo-Mar put on it as well as a S&A magwell back when. It's the most accurate pistol I've ever owned, but the reliability has always been spotty, regardless of magazines. I had sent it to Kimber about 5 years ago to have the chamber re-cut (mine was one of the early run with slightly oval chambers), but it's still having 3-point failures about 1 out of every 100 rounds. Which means about 1 failure per match when I'm shooting SS. Looking at the classic causes, the only thing I can potentially see is that the frame ramp to barrel distance isn't quite the 1/32" spec, but there is a gap there.

There's a part of me that says retire the old girl and just shoot my CZ's until I can save up the scratch for a Les Baer or an STI. But I'd also like to get it running, and running well. Is reliability work on the Kimber something to trust to the local gunsmith, or is there someone I should talk to about sending it off?

PM's are fine if you'd rather not broadcast to the world.

I have been very happy with the work of Jeff Abernathy in NC. You should give him a call and see what he says.

http://abernathygunworks.com/

Check out USPSA.org and use their club finder thread. Check out the local club and ask if there are any good smiths in the local area. You might find someone to do the work you want and save a lot of trouble shipping your pistol. This is not to say those GS mentioned are not worth the trouble but saving $$$ is always nice!

JMHOFWIW

Richard

I bought one in the same time frame.

Mine had a very rough bolt face and a burr around the firing pin hole. It had 3 point jams all the time. I deburred the FP hole and sanded/polished the bolt face to a mirror finish and it has been 100% reliable ever since and is one of my favorite guns.

Yes, the breech face... I guess there is no bolt, so it can't have a face. :unsure:

The surface that the rear of the cartridge must slide up as it is stripped from the magazine.