Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MyFitnessPal phone app. BEST APP EVER

KentG

I have lost almost 55 pounds over the last 7 months or so and reaching that point where my weight loss is slowing down. I needed to look closer at my actual caloric intake and stumbled on the app. It is the best thing since sliced bread. And you can scan the barcode on the bread and it will tell you exactly how many calories and carbs per slice. I entered "cheerios" as a food to look up the nutritional data and it poped up with every known type of cheerios and servings. OR you can just scan the barcode with the built in scanner and add it. Add a barcode of the milk container, select serving sive and TA DA! your brekfast is calculated and added for the day. You can save it as a meal and just select it next time you have it for brekfast. Same for any meal or snack. Hell for giggles I scanned the pint bottle of Jaggermiester and it recognized it, and showed 100 calories per ounce. I added 2 to my "snacks" column along with a bud light when I got home last night. Sadly it reinforces what I know, the empty calories in beer that I have been ignoring are something I am going to have to address since Im getting closer to what I should weigh and the pounds are a becoming slower to come off.

In short this IS the greatest app ever for those of us trying to track calories. IMO. You can set up your profile by age, weight, height, goal weight and how much you want to loose per week. It will calculate the calories allowed per day and keep a daily diary of what you enter. Plus you can log on at home. Here is the link for home but I stubled accross the phone app first.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

I have been using it for almost two months now. It is certainly one of my most recomended apps. You can also put in your exercise to buy you some extra calories.

While I am not really trying to lose weight as much as lose a bit of fat, it is great for keeping track of the macronutrients. It also works well for anyone trying to watch sodium or cholesterol.

While it doesn't tell you what to eat and not eat, anyone can tell pretty quickly where they can make some changes to save some calories.

My wife has lost almost 60 pounds in the last 8 months. If nothing else it seems to have changed the way she looks at food.

You can program it for either losing weight or if you need to gain some it will do that too.

• 1 month later...

I got it a couple days ago. It's very easy to learn, no trouble at all. I was surprised sitting on the grasshopper for over an hour gained me a +250 in calories.

Now let's get serious: how many Calories do we burn reloading for 30 minutes on a Dillon 650? I really want some honest opinions. I cut my riding lawn mower calorie burn in half and came up with 134. Does that sound right for 30 minutes of reloading? Or too much? What say you??

Edited by Chris iliff

I'm still not into the whole calorie counting thing. Eat clean foods and sensible servings and you'll be fine. Obviously loss will slow down but just keep at it and don't get discouraged. Congrats on your loss!

I used that app for a while. I was SHOCKED some days at how much I would eat. I have since quit using it, as I feel like I know what I'm eating now. It's amazing what just paying attention will do. I didn't lose a ton of weight, but didn't have a ton to lose either.

I used that app for a while. I was SHOCKED some days at how much I would eat. I have since quit using it, as I feel like I know what I'm eating now. It's amazing what just paying attention will do. I didn't lose a ton of weight, but didn't have a ton to lose either.

Some days I don't enter data either. I'm on the same page as you in that now I'm more aware of intake so I make better choices. Still use it but not every day

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip. I started the South Beach Diet March 5th and have lost 15 pounds so far. I am also trying to increase upper body strength to help with gun control.

As for how many calories we burn reloading, are you sitting or standing. I would say we do not burn much.

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I love this app.

14 pounds for me so far.

I haven't been this lean since I got married.

Soon I'll be back to my high school weight

Scanning the food and having it calculate everything for you is great!

I'm not hungry and like knowing how much is enough.

Maybe it's not related but I made expert last weekend.

DNH

• 1 month later...

After seeing vids of my first match last weekend, I was compelled to lose 30 pounds so I can move faster.

Downloaded this app and entered my normal diet ( a lot of fast food) and found I was easily comsuming 3500-4000 calories a week.

I weighed myself last Monday and I was at 228lbs. I entered goals in this app and it gave me an 1800 calorie goal. Cut all fast food, booze and started tracking a week of eating different to me and I lost 4 lbs in my first week.

I never thought shooting would be the catalyst to losing weight.

Not going to be on a Nazi diet, but this app really helps me focus on what my body needs for fuel.

:cheers:

25 POUNDS and dropping! Two notches tighter on the gun belt.

I still drink beer, eat chocolate and I'm not hungry.

The only thing different is that I know how many calories are getting loaded.

I really like the scanning and lookup features. The food database makes it so easy.

DNH

• 6 years later...