Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5 Days Without a Cigarette

Singlestack

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John I'm right there with you .... I'm on day 4 right now, and I'm using the Nicorette patch. I'm doing great! MUCH better than the previous 10-12 times I tried to quit in the last few months. So I'll let all you nay-sayers know how it goes here in oh .... 24 more days!!!

:cheers:

Edited by Chris Keen

Keep it up! Take it from one who has honestly quit multiple times. You are past the withdrawal, it's all mental now.

And yes I need to quit again. I've done it so many times the thought of nicotine withdrawal doesn't even bother me, it's really not that bad. It's the part you are fighting now that I dread. Stay with it. I quit for 2.5 years and I'm still kicking my own ass!

Congratulations :cheers:

It is all mental at this point and you are past the hardest part.

On day 14 after I quit, I went down to the dealer and bought a new truck. It served two purposes. First, it was a reward to myself for quitting. Second, it was my insurance policy to not start again. My monthly cigarette bill was just about the same as my new truck payment so after that I couldn't afford cigs anymore. :D

Keep it up! Take it from one who has honestly quit multiple times. You are past the withdrawal, it's all mental now.

And yes I need to quit again. I've done it so many times the thought of nicotine withdrawal doesn't even bother me, it's really not that bad. It's the part you are fighting now that I dread. Stay with it. I quit for 2.5 years and I'm still kicking my own ass!

Hell, I quit for 7 YEARS :surprise: ..... then last Spring I said .... I'll just have 1 cig. That obviously led to 1 pack, and so on, and so on ..... until a year later I was back to 1 pack a day, but the price had jumped up dramatically!!!

I need to stop, and I will. So can you John. Take up drinking .... it's cheaper!!!! :cheers:

Learn to hate smoking, that's the sure-fire way to quit with no going back. I smoked for too many years and never even tried to quit seriously, but then I eventually just convinced myself it's a nasty, trashy habit that is the only thing proven to kill you. (Seriously, cholesterol, blood pressure, diet, everything has a pretty wide margin of error for correlation to bad health except smoking.) I went cold turkey and kept an open pack on my coffee table for three months, just to make sure.

The key theme from the advice I'm seeing above is finding the right motivator for yourself.

My dad quit smoking because the odor was making my mother nauseous when she was pregnant with me. A friend of mine quit because of a bet he'd made. Find that thing that will motivate you and keep you going.

I got this!

This morning was the first morning where I had that thought! At this point, my original motivations are not as important as my current ones.

1) I will not go through day 1,2 &3 again!

2) Pride. This will not beat me!

I got this!

This morning was the first morning where I had that thought! At this point, my original motivations are not as important as my current ones.

1) I will not go through day 1,2 &3 again!

2) Pride. This will not beat me!

That's the one that works for me. Hang on to that thought. :cheers:

• 1 month later...

F#ck the patch.

You have decided to be a non-smoker.

Non-smokers don't smoke.

I went through a pack and a half of regular sugarfree gum in the beginning, primarily while driving to combat habit triggers, but replacing nicotine with nicotine is silly to me. It's like telling a sex addict to use a rubber. Doesn't really solve the problem. :)

PM me in a bout a week when you think you're going insane, that's a fun time.

And remember this when it's the worst: If you smoke, you either go through all the withdrawal AGAIN or you die a smoker.

Good luck.

SA