Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5 Days Without a Cigarette

Singlestack

My last smoke was Sunday night. After 40 years of at least 2 packs a day I have quit. My body is still in full blown withdrawals and my head keeps lying to me but I am very determined to beat this. I had an ashtray on my front porch that had some nasty soggy butts in it. Wednesday I found myself actually trying to convince myself to light one.

Making the decision was easy compared to keeping it. I still want to choke a m$&%@#f^@%#!!!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I quit about 15 years ago and I still get an urge every once in a while.

5 days is a great start. After the first 2-3 weeks (which were the hardest for me) or so, you'll start to forget that you have any cravings. You'll just be sitting around and then you'll think, I should want a smoke but I'm actually (somewhat) OK without one.

John, if you're not using the patch, go get them. I tried to quit numerous times without it, and it was murder. :closedeyes:

+1 It got me over the edge and all helped with the worse cravings. With the patch you are basically breaking the habit and playing a mental game with yourself and not fighting the nicotine addiction.

Forget the patch. They are made for people in the hospital or on long plane rides or working in the CTC. The nicotine keeps you habituated, it's that hot smoke that does the damage. Quitting is easy. It's just too easy to start again. Just keep going. Pretty soon you will remember what food tastes like and start coughing up a bunch of crap. Then you will feel better. 5 days is good! Almost done!

I didn't wanna have to stick a bandaid on every morning, or remember to have to for that matter. Today will be one month smoke free, using the gum. It allows me to get a dose of nicotine when I really need it. And I can ween myself off at my leisure. Never have made it this long before and without the gum I would have gone back to smoking by now. There is nothing wrong with getting help. Ill chew on the gum as much as I have to, as long as it keeps me away from inhaling nasty chemicals. Good luck

Yeah, well, lab rats will wean themselves of heroin, they do cocaine 'til they die, and go ballistic and never will go off nicotine. They roll over dead. Good thing that we aren't rats. That gum ain't cheap either. But whatever. Its the hot smoke and tar that gets ya. Although my grandma smoked until she was 91 and she broke her hip and they put her in the hospital. They wouldn't roll her over to the courtyard to have one of her two True's a day. She told my dad that was it, f*#k this shit, and laid in silence in bed 'til she got pneumonia and died. So............keep going. Better without cigarettes.

My father in law worked for Phillip Morris as a flavor scientist for 27 years. He smoked for almost 40 years. The day he retired from PM, he quit smoking. Never once smoked again. Cold turkey. You can do it!

If you ask him, he'll tell you he misses parts of smoking, but not the chemical dependence.

Congratulations! You can do it!

It's been about a month for me. Smoked for 35 years. Been using Nicorette Lozenges (mint flavored). They have helped. Took a while to get used to them, but I'm sure it took me a while to get used to cigarettes, too :)

I recognize I'm an addict. Some of it is behavior-based (I associate certain tasks or activities with smoking). After coffee or a good meal is really tough. Driving is tough. I have to approach it one instance at a time. When the urge hits, I tell myself I am NOT going to smoke right now. Forget tomorrow or next week. I'm not going to smoke right now. I've made half-hearted attempts to quit smoking before. This is the farthest I've made it.

I am building new behaviors, new habits. I am investing in the rest of my life. I am going to win.

So will you.

Yeah, well, lab rats will wean themselves of heroin, they do cocaine 'til they die, and go ballistic and never will go off nicotine. They roll over dead. Good thing that we aren't rats. That gum ain't cheap either. But whatever. Its the hot smoke and tar that gets ya. Although my grandma smoked until she was 91 and she broke her hip and they put her in the hospital. They wouldn't roll her over to the courtyard to have one of her two True's a day. She told my dad that was it, f*#k this shit, and laid in silence in bed 'til she got pneumonia and died. So............keep going. Better without cigarettes.

Whatever it takes, im just glad I haven't gone back to smoking. Which I did before when I tried to quit. Before finding the gum. You can get a box of 120 pieces for 25 bucks at target. Much cheaper then 6 bucks for 20 cigs is the way I look at it.

I quit dipping snuff after 30 years on Jan1st and it was a train wreck. One of the toughest mental challenges ever. I have had a couple slip ups but I feel better. The first 3 weeks were the hardest. Had the midnight rages and all.....But it is all mental. I told myself not to dip and I sat a can on the dresser and never touched it....Congrats...And just say no.....

I quit dipping snuff after 30 years on Jan1st and it was a train wreck. One of the toughest mental challenges ever. I have had a couple slip ups but I feel better. The first 3 weeks were the hardest. Had the midnight rages and all.....But it is all mental. I told myself not to dip and I sat a can on the dresser and never touched it....Congrats...And just say no.....

Same here. I quit chewing after almost 30yrs. Stopped the saturday after Thanksgiving. Yea, its hard but it is worth it. It can be done. I used the Nicoret tabs for about 4 weeks and nothing since I ran out. Yea, I too would like to sneak one but I really dont want to either. Life is better with out it. Good luck and hang in there! :cheers:

Stop counting. It just makes it harder.

That being said, they say it takes 28 days to create or break a habit. You're well on your way. Stay away from the quit smoking aids. There's still nicotine in 'em. Take each craving as an individual battle.

Good luck.

After five days cold turkey, you got it whipped! I quit in 1986 at 42 and still occasionally get an urge. Then I remember how it felt being winded halfway up a flight of stairs and hacking up a lung when I lit up the first one of the day. Stay with, it only gets better. :cheers: